how to change a lightbulb

IronJambo

Of all things i'm looking for a bit of help with LIGHTBULBS!

we've had problems with the spotbulbs in our kitchen. the bulbs the developer put in basically melted the wires on the transformer which in turn kept making the bulbs blow.

a sparky sent out by the builder told us they were the wrong bulbs as they were sending the heat upwards which was slowly melting the wires. makes sense but no sparky since has been able to confirm or deny this to me and its damn near impossible to find these bulbs.

still, another bulb has blown and the wires are not looking too great on it. every other fitting is fine except for a bit of discolouration on another fitting suggesting it might be conducting too much heat.

i've been on google and found what i think is the type of bulb i'm looking for, can anyone tell me will the bulbs on this link fit my purpose? and if it is, would it be wise to opt for 35 watts instead of 50? have also found energy versions from osram, do you know if they're any good?

http://www.bltdirect.com/products.php?cat=523&nm=Reflekto+Lamps

are these the same type of thing, or am i misunderstanding the term "reflector" http://www.lyco.co.uk/Light-Bulbs/Halogen-Bulbs/Low-Voltage-Reflector-Bulbs-(AR111)/sc1376.aspx

Of all things i'm looking for a bit of help with LIGHTBULBS!

we've had problems with the spotbulbs in our kitchen. the bulbs the developer put in basically melted the wires on the transformer which in turn kept making the bulbs blow.

a sparky sent out by the builder told us they were the wrong bulbs as they were sending the heat upwards which was slowly melting the wires. makes sense but no sparky since has been able to confirm or deny this to me and its damn near impossible to find these bulbs.

still, another bulb has blown and the wires are not looking too great on it. every other fitting is fine except for a bit of discolouration on another fitting suggesting it might be conducting too much heat.

i've been on google and found what i think is the type of bulb i'm looking for, can anyone tell me will the bulbs on this link fit my purpose? and if it is, would it be wise to opt for 35 watts instead of 50? have also found energy versions from osram, do you know if they're any good?

http://www.bltdirect.com/products.php?cat=523&nm=Reflekto+Lamps

are these the same type of thing, or am i misunderstanding the term "reflector" http://www.lyco.co.uk/Light-Bulbs/Halogen-Bulbs/Low-Voltage-Reflector-Bulbs-(AR111)/sc1376.aspx

The spark is correct in what he says and these are the correct lamps but stick with the 50w. If the property is still in the defects period get the builder to do the remedial work as it is their problem, if there is burning on the cables make sure that the parts get replaced.

The spark is correct in what he says and these are the correct lamps but stick with the 50w. If the property is still in the defects period get the builder to do the remedial work as it is their problem, if there is burning on the cables make sure that the parts get replaced.

cheers mate. another poster has pointed me in the direction of a sylvana coolfit bulb (which is exactly what i already have). i couldn't find them before and they're much cheaper than the ones in the links i posted. does this mean that 1) the sylvana ones are rank or 2) the ones in my links are taking the pesh with pricing?

Walter Bishop

Check the rating on your transformer, if its 105va this means it will take 105 watts etc etc Sounds to me like the LAMPS (bulbs are planted in the garden.) are either all too high a wattage or you have a mix in there. Generally if they are on kitchen units 20w is fine. But check the transformer for the rating 1st.

Check the rating on your transformer, if its 105va this means it will take 105 watts etc etc Sounds to me like the LAMPS (bulbs are planted in the garden.) are either all too high a wattage or you have a mix in there. Generally if they are on kitchen units 20w is fine. But check the transformer for the rating 1st.

haha, well i call them bulbs.

i've a whole collection of them....tennis bats, golf sticks, table tennis racket.....

cheers mate, i'll check that one out

The black BLV reflecto in your link will also help as the black helps absorb the heat from the lamp instead of sending back down the pins of the lamp .

These are however quite pricy , I work for a lamp wholesaler and you would be looking between 4-5 quid for them , compared with around 60p for the 35/50w std ones

JinA, I'm not trying to be sarccy, but why are you scrabling about trying to sort this out at all ?

The builder has installed something that is not fit for purpose and/or faulty. If it's melting insulation it also sounds as if it's pretty dangerous.

No offence mate, but if you start meddling with it, you could make things worse. I'd suggest you should be insisting that the builder gets a qualified spark in (at his expence) to detail exactly what is wrong, and to replace all parts and equipement necesarry for a permanent fix.

cheers mate. another poster has pointed me in the direction of a sylvana coolfit bulb (which is exactly what i already have). i couldn't find them before and they're much cheaper than the ones in the links i posted. does this mean that 1) the sylvana ones are rank or 2) the ones in my links are taking the pesh with pricing?

Check out these lamps,

http://www.neweysonline.co.uk/osram-halogen-lamp-decostar%C2%AE-51-titan-wide-flood-gu5-3-3000k-12v-50w/1050091458/ProductInformation.raction

http://www.neweysonline.co.uk/osram-halogen-lamp-decostar%C2%AE-51-titan-flood-gu5-3-3000k-12v-50w/1050091457/ProductInformation.raction

I still say that you should get onto the builder as it is their sub contractors problem. Sylvania lamps are good quality lamps.

hooters.jpg

Funky Hell!!

To the op, get onto the builder right away,being an ex spark it might just be that the wattage of the lamps is too high which is more than likely.If the lamps have the pins on them and they are not the gu10 type then from my experience the holders always went brittle with the heat and the connections from the transformer always started to fray.If your wattage is too high as well the transformer will burn itself out.

since i've been in my flat 2 years i don't think i can get onto the builder about it.

i'm not faffing around trying to fix a problem, i'm just making sure i buy the right bulb (or lamp). if a light fittings buggered then its quite easy to replace it

Archived