Thai Curry

gorgiegirl

I absolutely adore Thai & Vietnamese food and am looking for suggestions of what the JKB masterchefs prepare at home....

(with particular reference to how many chillis you use too)

I absolutely adore Thai & Vietnamese food and am looking for suggestions of what the JKB masterchefs prepare at home....

Mince an tatties, Liver and onions, beans on toast, Haggis and neeps.

Vietnamese Eel curry...made for me by a chef from Pnong peng(sp) that I met in Paris......superb:10900:

http://thaifood.about.com/od/quickeasythairecipes/Easy_Thai_Recipes.htm

As for chilli's. Rule of thumb is the smaller ones tend to be the hotter ones. If you're a beginner try using one of the larger ones minus the seeds first, then step it up a bit at a time, add the seeds. This will boost the heat. Then move onto the wee fire crackers.

Oh, and by the way wear marigolds when you're chopping chilli's. They wee things can inadvertently set fire to the wrong places if not handled with care.

Enjoy!

The Old Tolbooth

Thai red curry is simply amazing mate, and I would start with as little as 7 chillis on it :2thumbsup:

The Old Tolbooth
http://thaifood.about.com/od/quickeasythairecipes/Easy_Thai_Recipes.htm

As for chilli's. Rule of thumb is the smaller ones tend to be the hotter ones. If you're a beginner try using one of the larger ones minus the seeds first, then step it up a bit at a time, add the seeds. This will boost the heat. Then move onto the wee fire crackers.

Oh, and by the way wear marigolds when you're chopping chilli's. They wee things can inadvertently set fire to the wrong places if not handled with care.

Enjoy!

:laugh:

I honestly think this is the best piece of advice EVER given on JKB!!

chester copperpot
Thai red curry is simply amazing mate, and I would start with as little as 7 chillis on it :2thumbsup:

POOF.

The Old Tolbooth
POOF.

Ha Ha!!

Your the only person I know that can handle any amount of chillis thrown at them! You literally have an asbestos mouth ya radge!!!

(everyone else is normal) :D

Made a Penang Curry this evening, recipe called for 5 chillis, I used 15 green & 4 red..... the recipe also stated that they use about 35 in Thailand..... so why tell me to use less??? was lovely anyway

The Old Tolbooth
Made a Penang Curry this evening, recipe called for 5 chillis, I used 15 green & 4 red..... the recipe also stated that they use about 35 in Thailand..... so why tell me to use less??? was lovely anyway

You better watch what you type about your use of chilli's, you'll have Mr Copperpot lusting after you! :D

(sounds an epic meal tho!)

chester copperpot
Ha Ha!!

Your the only person I know that can handle any amount of chillis thrown at them! You literally have an asbestos mouth ya radge!!!

(everyone else is normal) :D

Haven't eaten a ruby in nearly 3 months now. I reckon I'd struggle with the old chilli's now mate.

Foreign muck, tbf. :stuart:

Still eating all your meals in pie form..... live a little

John it was fantastic, have some left for dinner tomorrow (should be spicier by then though, possibly not a good thing)

hottest thing I have eaten was a salad in Bangkok.... still feel the pain

whatever your making, if you like it hot then you want to ditch the rubbish fat red chillis and the wee skinny birdseye ones.

you need to get yourself some scotch bonnet peppers at the very least. its not worth it other wise :2thumbsup:

The Old Tolbooth
Haven't eaten a ruby in nearly 3 months now. I reckon I'd struggle with the old chilli's now mate.

i did my own home made pizza tonight with 5 chillis, anchovies, proper pepperoni, and onion as topping, it was just lush mate!! :2thumbsup:

this_is_my_story
Still eating all your meals in pie form..... live a little

Me? Pies?!

Had a lovley agnolotti for dinner earlier, delicious so it was.

Bains pies for lunch tomorrow, though. :2thumbsup:

Made Thai Tom Yum soup at the weekend and as word got out it felt like I was running a soup kitchen!!

Really easy to make but easily my favourite soup!

Use the best ingredients you can afford, especially when it comes to the red/green curry paste. I use 'Thai Kitchen' which is only a bit more expensive than everday brands (avoid supermarket own brands).

When adding chillis (usually red ones , as not so fiery) : cut them length ways and remove the seeds and the white part in the centre.I saw a TV programme once where the chef said it's not the seeds that kill it's the white part in the centre. Remeber to wash your hands BEFORE you go to the loo :57::57::57:

Green curry , mmmm.:2thumbsup:

Use the best ingredients you can afford, especially when it comes to the red/green curry paste. I use 'Thai Kitchen' which is only a bit more expensive than everday brands (avoid supermarket own brands).

When adding chillis (usually red ones , as not so fiery) : cut them length ways and remove the seeds and the white part in the centre.I saw a TV programme once where the chef said it's not the seeds that kill it's the white part in the centre. Remeber to wash your hands BEFORE you go to the loo :57::57::57:

Green curry , mmmm.:2thumbsup:

Also rubbing lime/lemon juice into your hands helps kill the heat!

I honestly think this is the best piece of advice EVER given on JKB!!

Otherwise known as Chilli Willie :2thumbsup:

Archived