Stephen Fry

Legend Claws

I was at a conference today and had the pleasure of listening to the genius that is Stephen Fry talking about technology and all things web/social media. His knowledge is incredible for somebody who does not actually work in these areas. He totally captivated the 1000 strong crowd and spoke very candidly about his Bi-Polar condition and the recent Daily Mail controversy regarding Steven Gately. Previous to this I never really had an opinion on Fry but now think he is a great chap.

Got me thinking, have you ever been in the presence of a well known person, somebody that totally captivated you and changed your perception of them entirely? This can work both ways, have you had the chance to meet a hero of yours and they have turned out to be a total ****?

I was at a conference today and had the pleasure of listening to the genius that is Stephen Fry talking about technology and all things web/social media. His knowledge is incredible for somebody who does not actually work in these areas. He totally captivated the 1000 strong crowd and spoke very candidly about his Bi-Polar condition and the recent Daily Mail controversy regarding Steven Gately. Previous to this I never really had an opinion on Fry but now think he is a great chap.

Got me thinking, have you ever been in the presence of a well known person, somebody that totally captivated you and changed your perception of them entirely? This can work both ways, have you had the chance to meet a hero of yours and they have turned out to be a total ****?

Csaba. But now i realise he was just talking complete nonsense.

The Mighty Thor

Stephen Fry.

Until a few of his twitter followers realised he talks total tam kite and he went all Shaun Lawson (apologies for naming our resident canary) on the social networking site and he took the powder puff.

Apparently he was a comedian once. Once.

Self important fudge packer. that is all.

Chris Akabusi. Done a motivational speech for my company. It wasn't motivational. He didn't say 'awooga' which I was disappointed about before I realised that it was John Fashanu that says it and not Akabusi.

jamboinglasgow
Stephen Fry.

Until a few of his twitter followers realised he talks total tam kite and he went all Shaun Lawson (apologies for naming our resident canary) on the social networking site and he took the powder puff.

thats the only thing I cant stand about Stephen Fry. He goes on and on about twitter, something that only celebrities and companies use, the media love him for it. And when he gets in a huff for someone saying he isn't that great he announces that he will leave twitter and it suddenly becomes the third most important news story on the bbc. The guy who criticised him gets abused by Stephen Fry's followers and then Stephen comes back to Twitter. I felt let down by Fry in this issue.

Outside of that I think he is a great comedian and comic actor. But I think he needs to reduce what he is in as that is always the issue, if your in too much the public will turn on you.

marshallschunkychicken
thats the only thing I cant stand about Stephen Fry. He goes on and on about twitter, something that only celebrities and companies use, the media love him for it. And when he gets in a huff for someone saying he isn't that great he announces that he will leave twitter and it suddenly becomes the third most important news story on the bbc. The guy who criticised him gets abused by Stephen Fry's followers and then Stephen comes back to Twitter. I felt let down by Fry in this issue.

Outside of that I think he is a great comedian and comic actor. But I think he needs to reduce what he is in as that is always the issue, if your in too much the public will turn on you.

Leaving twitter is a lot easier than buggering off to Belgium.

There's a degree of laziness to his huffs these days.

:stuart:

Cant agree with your comment re celebs and companies! I agree that his twitter focus is a bit galling however he did say yesterday that it all got out of hand before he could properly address it. He was talking about his bi-polar and the fact that when he is down with it, the slightest insult can make him cry for literally the rest of the day and this is what happened in this case.

Stephen Fry rocks. He's just an all-round talented sort and seems like a really nice, gentle sort of man. He's also frighteningly smart, he's practically a walking brain. Not to mention the fact that he's done absolute wonders in educating people and lessening the stigma attached to mental illness and bipolar disorder. I would love to see him speaking - he'd be fascinating.

Definite good guy.

Twitter is for ****ing numpties.

Channel 4 news made me puke a couple months ago when they started saying things like 'and on Twitter, Frank from newcastle says....' I really couldnt care less what folk on twitter think. Self indulgent arseholes. Nobody cares if you're having pasta for tea. **** off.

Stephen Fry.

One day, you'll throw your toys out the pram on here. Oh yes you will. And when you do, I'll be there to laugh and laugh and laugh.

:10900:

Incidentally, "fudge packer" is a bit of an inelegant expression, don't you think?

Stephen Fry rocks. He's just an all-round talented sort and seems like a really nice, gentle sort of man. He's also frighteningly smart, he's practically a walking brain. Not to mention the fact that he's done absolute wonders in educating people and lessening the stigma attached to mental illness and bipolar disorder. I would love to see him speaking - he'd be fascinating.

Definite good guy.

See, I think redm likes me for similar reasons: I'm often on here trying to educate others about mental illness (not that I'm bipolar, but I've certainly been depressed in the recent past). I wish I was a hundredth as smart as Stephen Fry though. He's a complex individual, and his tweets are crap; but boy oh boy is he clever.

The Mighty Thor
One day, you'll throw your toys out the pram on here. Oh yes you will. And when you do, I'll be there to laugh and laugh and laugh.

Incidentally, "fudge packer" is a bit of an inelegant expression, don't you think?

Ah yes. Not my finest work i have to admit. The dangers of Stewart's Edinburgh Gold and late night surfing.

If i could edit it i would. I'm still not a fan of his though.

The People's Chimp

Channel 4 news made my day a couple months ago when they started saying things like 'and on Twitter....' I'm really interested in whether you're having pasta for tea.

I'm actually having a stir fry, but good guess.

See, I think redm likes me for similar reasons: I'm often on here trying to educate others about mental illness (not that I'm bipolar, but I've certainly been depressed in the recent past). I wish I was a hundredth as smart as Stephen Fry though. He's a complex individual, and his tweets are crap; but boy oh boy is he clever.

Talk about self indulgent...:stuart:

Talk about self indulgent...:stuart:

I'm entitled to a little self-indulgence occasionally. He is insanely smart though. MENSA for him; DENSA for me. :stuart:

He's a pompous arrogant fudge packer.

It's no wonder Shaun is a fan. :2thumbsup:

:rofl:

Actually, arrogant is the last thing he is. If you think he's arrogant, you can't know the meaning of the word. :th_o:

shaun lawson... on here.

:D

I can now die happy.

we'll give you a good send off, do you proud.

maybe a shaun lawson night in the shed or something.

:)

Every post will have a minimum character limit. :D

:laugh:

Roop - apologies for missing you on Saturday. I dunno where you were: but I really was only in and out anyway. I arrived on Friday afternoon, and was so under the weather I went straight to my hotel bed!

the admins are having kittens as we speak. new servers ordered and on the way.

Saw Tony Benn speak at a burns night/labour event (strange I know) at a miners' welfare a few years back. Wasn't expecting much, but the guy was amazing. No notes at all - he managed to captivate everyone there.

Legend

Plus a wee sook in,then a fall out with the deluded ones on the other side.:10900:

Was fortunate enough to be in the presence of Sir Anthony Wilson quite a few years back. Thoroughly captivating guy and also hugely intelligent. I wish he was still here and would love to have a debate with him about his 11/12 year cyclical music "scene" beliefs.

Say What Again

Speaking of Stephen Fry, has anybody read any of his books?

In the past when I've bought books by Christopher Brookmyre or Colin Bateman, Stephen Fry's books have been recommended in a 'people who like these authors also like....' kind of way.

Never got round to reading one though.

If anyone is interested, new series of QI on later this month.

Thought it was some crap like University Challenge until I watched it earlier this year. Watched every episode now :2thumbsup:

To answer the original post - saw John Innverdale at a dinner the other night. Always thought he was a complete ****** after his reaction to engerlund getting beaten by Scotland in a Calcutta Cup match, However, as after dinner speaking goes, he was very funny indeed. A few pops at the scousers and a great anecdote from the Shankly days :)

Speaking of Stephen Fry, has anybody read any of his books?

In the past when I've bought books by Christopher Brookmyre or Colin Bateman, Stephen Fry's books have been recommended in a 'people who like these authors also like....' kind of way.

Never got round to reading one though.

i've read most of them and they are worth the time. the liar and the hippopotamus are the ones i remember liking the best. he also did a reworking of the count of monte cristo which i enjoyed, but i think was cos i loved the original. If youve ever read any wodehouse and liked it then fry will do for you.

Stephen Fry is one of the most entertaining people on the telly, in my opinion.

Back to the op, I once met the late Robin Cook and he really surprised me. I always thought he was an annoying little sh17e, but he was actually a very engaging person.

rudi must stay

actually yes. Went to Nancy Cartwright's show in the fringe a few years ago, was quite a big fan of hers because i'm a fan of the Simpsons (who isn't). The show was terrible, most of it was her boasting she'd made it and she actually came across as a bit of a *****. My perception of her changed alot

rudi must stay
Had you perceived her as a ten year old boy?

what's strange about that? You have perceptions about people the minute you meet them, no matter what age you are.

what's strange about that? You have perceptions about people the minute you meet them, no matter what age you are.

nothing strange about it at all. i was genuinely curious.

Archived