New Laptop

DaveCTFC87

I'm looking for a new laptop and wanted a few suggestions/ bit of advice please!!

There is a Sony one that i like the look of, here is the spec:

Product Information

* Intel Core 2 Duo processor P7450

* (2.13Ghz, 1066Mhz, 3MB Cache)

* Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium

* 4GB Memory

* 1000GB Hard drive

* Up to 2.5 hours battery life

* Blu-Ray disc player

* Nvidia 9600M GT 512mb graphics

* 1.3 megapixel webcam

* Full HD X-black LCD screen

that all looks ok to me, about a grand that one which i don't mind paying as long as it lasts and doesn't become outdated to quickly.

Any thoughts?

Personally I don't rate sony laptops, simply due to the hard drive crashing and wiping on my one after about 6 months. The same thing happened to my maw's Sony and one of my pals.

I don't know the first thing about the spec, but I've got a Sony laptop and really like it.

Had it for about a year.

previously had emachine and siemens/fujitsu -both of which failed.

Tend to have a lot of problems with Sony laptops coming into the office, so in my own personal opinion I wouldn't go for it. I'm working on one just now (VGN-S3XP) that is being a bit of a bugger.

How long is the warranty on it?

I take it you wouldn't be interested in an Apple Mac?

Cheers for the responses lads, reliability of the Sony's isn't filling me with confidence :15:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/871269#productInformationSection

how about that one?! a bit cheaper than the Sony but still got a good solid spec!

to be fair i only want to be able to play FM2010 at a lightening speed, watch footy, download music etc and maybe let my girlfriend use it for her uni work every now and again.

Its hard to choose though without having any real laptop knowledge!

The Old Tolbooth

Have to say my old laptop is a Fujitsu Siemens and it's had some fair old punishment in the 2 years I've had it and it still refuses to give up the ghost, this thing has been switched on most days for on average 12 hours per day too.

I've got a new HP laptop now but still using the old one for work because I cant see me getting the same armoury from it as the old one.

Craig-Section Z
http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro?mco=MTAyNTQzMzk

It's Mac all the way for me. 13" is big enough, any bigger and it's not as portable, they really are amazing machines and have all the software installed without the need for trials etc etc.

I agree, and the latest models have 7hrs battery!!!!

Private Hudson

Just got a Macbook Pro 13.3" screen. Have to say it's a beautiful machine and is running like a dream so far. Haven't noticed screen size to be honest.

Wouln't wipe ma arse with a Toshiba though. Had 2 of them and they were both horrific from the get go.

Acer.

Had mine six years now and only problem ever had was a full hdd, which I replced and upgraded ram too.

Would be my first choice when I eventually change.

i can see sony has taken a hammering on this thread so for what its worth i had a vaio desktop (all in one jobby) for over 5 years and it never gave me much grief. it got battered in the end (on all day every day for 2 years) and just got really slow and prone to freezing. was a great pc!

sticking with what i know i replaced it with a nice new vaio laptop last week and its great so far. we'll see how good it long term i guess

Archived