Hennessy Gold Cup - Denman to run?

H.A.N.S

Wow!

That really is an incredible price!! :eek:

That is what I thought. I thought he mustn't be sure to run but. This is crazy carrying 11st 12ilb or not.

It's a huge price because the field hasn't been whittled down yet. Currently sitting at 7. Seems a decent shout, although I think I'd rather wait and see what the other runners/weights look like, even if it means 2/1 or less.

I'm more inclined to have a wee nibble at the 86s on offer for Mon Mome, Venetia Williams will target this race as a good start to the hurdles season for this horse, and I feel it will come on leaps and bounds this season after a disappointing one last season (Grand National apart). Had a good season the year before so clearly has the talent.

Also I have a massive soft spot as I had ?5 on it at 160 on Betfair for the National, paid for my 42" full 1080p HD LG TV :10900:

He will now be out to gain revenge and take back his Gold Cup crown and Nicholls said: "He looks amazing compared to this time last year after he had his heart problem.

"His heart has been tested and is 100% normal, and I think he is as he was before winning the Gold Cup two years ago.

"I will give him a racecourse gallop at Exeter on November 10, when he will open a bar named after him, and the Hennessy is favourite for his first race of the season.

Fill your boots.

The Old Tolbooth
That is what I thought. I thought he mustn't be sure to run but. This is crazy carrying 11st 12ilb or not.

2 years ago Denman carried 12st in the race and everything else was running off 10st something and he won by the length of Princess Street!

2 years ago Denman carried 12st in the race and everything else was running off 10st and he won by the length of Princess Street!

Exactly. This looks a gift.

If Denman runs in the Hennesy he will carry top weight.

He will have to give younger progressive horses nearly two stone in weight. (Killyglen for example would carry 21lb less than Denman)

Denman is top class and if fully tuned might well win the Hennesy, but i would doubt the Hennesy is his sole target and Nicholls is bound to leave something to work on.

Denman did fall last time out and although his Heart problems appear behind him they still have to be factored into the price.

I would love to see him win the Hennesy on his way to Gold Cup Victory, but it wont stop me searching for value elsewhere as i dont necessarily think he is a stick on at 6/1 antepost.

oh ah grantona

seen him on betfair for gold cup and king george at bigger prices like 30/1 i would lump on that before any run takes place cause as that will drop

seen him on betfair for gold cup and king george at bigger prices like 30/1 i would lump on that before any run takes place cause as that will drop

He is 6/1 with betfair for the gold cup.

I think thats a better price than for the Hennessy because that race will be his target.

He will also be carrying the same weight as every other horse in the race.

However betting Antepost is fraught with danger, he only needs to step on a stone to miss the race and your moneys shot.

He is 6/1 with betfair for the gold cup.

I think thats a better price than for the Hennessy because that race will be his target.

He will also be carrying the same weight as every other horse in the race.

However betting Antepost is fraught with danger, he only needs to step on a stone to miss the race and your moneys shot.

He's more chance making the Hennesssy than the Gold Cup in my opinion. Still four months away.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone know if Denman is set to run? I can see he's 7.2 (6/1) on betfair.

Huge!

Now 5.1 or 4/1.

2 years ago Denman carried 12st in the race and everything else was running off 10st something and he won by the length of Princess Street!

Exactly, it will do for me.

The Old Tolbooth
Exactly, it will do for me.

A word of caution though mate, Kauto Star only just held off Imperial Commander in his first run of the season, I would imagine Kauto will come on for the run however but if Denman (who is closely matched with Kauto) is the same, then he may need the run, and that race was off level weights, Denman will be giving weight away.

Nicholls stable have been doing better on their second run of the season rather than first time up this year, which is different to most years.

Forecast is rain, rain and more rain all week at Newbury. Going will be soft and even heavy. Over 3m 2f in those conditions Denman will gallop them into the ground.

I think Barbers Shop is well in with the weights in this race and fancy Denman to be beaten.

He won't be far away.

Betting suspended! :hat2:

Wonder if a big gun has pulled out.

If think its the 2 day pullout forfeit stage, if a horse pulls out now it will have to have a vets certificate or ground problems.

The Old Tolbooth

Some cracking racing at Newbury today folks, and some really interesting runners too!

My line today will consist of

Muss 12.30 Strongpoint 2/1

Newbury 1.30 Rivaliste 2/1

Newbury 2.05 Factotum 12/1 (although I'm backing Old Benny e/w at huge odds 40/1)

Newbury 3.15 Afsoun 11/1 (chasing for the first time today, and rated 20lbs superior over hurdles)

Newbury 3.45 Bellvano 7/4

I have had a sentimental bet on Denman. He won me big cash in the race 2 years ago.

Have backed snowy morning e/w as well.

Got ?20 on Denman at 6s but having another bet. Thinking Offshore Account at a big price. Barber Shop is screaming out at me but I am ignoring it.

Bomber Harris' Best Mate

Is dunguib running tomorrow ? At least think that's how its spelt. ****ed the bumper at cheltenham last year. Sure I read he was running somewhere this weekend.

Is dunguib running tomorrow ? At least think that's how its spelt. ****ed the bumper at cheltenham last year. Sure I read he was running somewhere this weekend.

Yes Sunday 1:00pm at Fairyhouse.

4/11 shot.

The Old Tolbooth
Thought you were on a roll John geting the first 2 right.

Aye me too hun, I had a few single winners that I could easily have added to the line instead of the ones I did too, including Fred Bojangles at 9/1 at Musselburgh (thought this was a good thing) and also my nap of the day at Thurles in Steviemac at 5/2.

I did end up with the treble though which put me in profit :10900:

Got ?20 on Denman at 6s but having another bet. Thinking Offshore Account at a big price. Barber Shop is screaming out at me but I am ignoring it.

State of Play is a major concern for me mate, he's won this race before and is a full 2 stones lighter than Denman, he's also finished only 10 lengths behind Kauto Star in the Gold Cup 2 years ago and clearly is well handicapped, although obviously not as good as he used to be, but the weight swing reflects it.

Barber Shop has a major chance too, although I think he has a bit to find with a properly fit Denman, if he turns out that way.

I think Barber shop is in with a good shout, nip to the bookies in a wee bit and stick ?10 win on it.

?20 each way killy glen

Really hope denman runs well though, cant wait to go down to the winner takes all rematch in march.

The Old Tolbooth

Well done Denman! :cheese:

What an achievement in winning 2 Hennessey Gold Cups, last achieved by the great Arkle!

I had a wee saver on State of Play too just in case, but there was never really any doubt as he was travelling so strongly, he's going to beat Kauto Star in the re-match in March for the big one, I'm in no doubt whatsoever!

Next stop is probably Leapordstown for Denman, another galloping track.

Actually walked 15 minutes to the bookies to watch it.

Amply rewarded, what a horse, especially coming back from his heart troubles. Won me a few quid as well

The Old Tolbooth
Actually walked 15 minutes to the bookies to watch it.

Amply rewarded, what a horse, especially coming back from his heart troubles. Won me a few quid as well

Had he not had his heart problems last season mate he would have had 2 Gold Cups to his name, of that I'm sure.

The Old Tolbooth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du-y4WDaT8c

Epic!

His jump 5 out, the first jump you see him make in the vid, as unbelievable!

Great horse!

Fair gets the old hairs on the neck tingling watching that mate, I actually punched the air again watching it as he pinged the last fence and just asserted his authority, an unbelievable performance from an unbelievable horse!

He's a machine!

Fair gets the old hairs on the neck tingling watching that mate, I actually punched the air again watching it as he pinged the last fence and just asserted his authority, an unbelievable performance from an unbelievable horse!

He's a machine!

Absolute privilege to watch that john, when he jumped the cross fence the hairs stood up on the neck. I have had the good fortune to see him and kauto at cheltenham winning there gold cups (kautos 2nd) and to be honest i cannot separate them. Will never see horses like this again for a very long time.

denman the tank 2 hennessy's 1 lexus, 1 aon, 1 gold cup, 1 sun alliance.

kauto the machine 2 golds, 3 king Georges, 3 betfair, 2 tingles.

absolute phenomenal denman the weight carrying powerhouse against the machine kauto toughness and speed. God i love racing.

Awesome......I mind watchin Dessie winning the Gold Cup but that was as close to the perfect ride over the fences as ive ever seen.::2thumbsup:

The Old Tolbooth
Absolute privilege to watch that john, when he jumped the cross fence the hairs stood up on the neck. I have had the good fortune to see him and kauto at cheltenham winning there gold cups (kautos 2nd) and to be honest i cannot separate them. Will never see horses like this again for a very long time.

denman the tank 2 hennessy's 1 lexus, 1 aon, 1 gold cup, 1 sun alliance.

kauto the machine 2 golds, 3 king Georges, 3 betfair, 2 tingles.

absolute phenomenal denman the weight carrying powerhouse against the machine kauto toughness and speed. God i love racing.

I think my bias for Denman shines through quite a lot mate, however if I'm being totally honest it's horses for courses with the two of them, and I reckon Denman will gallop his rivals into the ground to win the gold cup come March, however if the Gold Cup was run at Kempton, then you'd need to fancy Kauto.

2 totally different styles of horse, and two truly fantastic champions. :2thumbsup:

Im happy i made a few bob out of denman today. But tinged with guilt. I sent a pm to John Mitchell last night laying my stash firmly on denman but i also tipped Sam thomas to bring home what a friend 2nd.

What did i do?? Never put on the feckin forecast!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Delighted for Denman and Hans.

I thought giving twenty pound to the entire field might be too much, but he was pure class.

I have bet him at 6/1 for the Gold Cup where he will be taking on similar horses at level weights, surely not even Kauto will live with him if he remains in that kind of form. ( hopefully get the cash back i lost today for underestimating how awesome Denman is.)

I really can't stop watching that clip. As the commentator said, it was one of the greatest performances in Jump history, and I truly believe that. To carry that weight and simply destroy the field, was simply epic to watch.

However, I think that it's no forlone conclusion that Denman will win the Gold Cup in March. Kauto Star's last performance was on Soft, Heavy in places, as ground that he hadn't run on before (soft was what he ran on before). If the ground permits, being good, soft in places, or better, I think that Kauto will be a good match for Denman.

To be honest, I can't seperate them. Denman is a massive, powerful horse that could probably plough the every fence instead of jumping them and still win, yet Kauto has a beautiful elegance to his jumping that you cannot help but admire. My tip, don't bet on the Gold Cup in March, simply take the time out to watch what wil inevitably be one of the great races in Horse Racing history.

PS. God bless Denman. Despite my fairly good spelling, I'm absolutely smashed just now, has taken me 20 mins to type this, and all because Denman paid out today. I love that equine!!!!!

The Old Tolbooth

Although Denman's taking all the plaudits, special mention has to go out to just how a fantastic trainer Paul Nicholls really is, I had a huge lump in my throat when he could barely speak after watching Denman winning yesterday, a very emotional moment.

I've never seen scenes like that at Newbury ever before, just amazing!

Love Kauto backed him for years since he was a baby. But this thing is immense. My mate had a big note on him. Machine!

Although Denman's taking all the plaudits, special mention has to go out to just how a fantastic trainer Paul Nicholls really is, I had a huge lump in my throat when he could barely speak after watching Denman winning yesterday, a very emotional moment.

I've never seen scenes like that at Newbury ever before, just amazing!

Yeh fantastic achievment from paul. To train one superstar and keep him at the top is hard enough, but to have two and with the health problems both of them have had, its a phenominal achevment. Hopeing to get his book from santa looks a good read. I dont think since the days of michael dickinson in the 80s has a yard with so much firepower.

Archived