Hootsman give Bain a hard time..

Jam Tarts 1874

Jam Tarts 1874

......I suspect this won't go down will in the hibsman's new home in Glasgow.

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Open-letter-to-Martin-Bain.5804248.jp

Open letter to Martin Bain, excuser of Rangers' serial troublemakers

Published Date: 07 November 2009

By Glenn Gibbons

A LISTENER writes: "Dear Mr Bain, hearing on the BBC's website your instant reaction to the incidents involving your club's followers in Bucharest on Wednesday – during which you emphasised the culpable part played in the disturbance by local stewards – several questions leapt unstoppably into my thoughts.

"Mindful of previous 'involvements' of your fans in Manchester, Pamplona, Villarreal and other locations all the way back to Barcelona, Birmingham and Newcastle 40 years ago, I am moved to wonder: do these stewards follow them around? Have they been

doing so for the past four decades, lying in wait just itching to start something that will cause your fans, once again, to fall into disrepute?

"Or are succeeding generations of your travelling supporters afflicted with a congenital disorder that compels them, at semi-regular intervals, to inflict mayhem on stadiums and towns they visit throughout Europe?

"These previous 'adventures', one would have thought, should have been considered before anyone in your position started issuing statements that suggested instant judgements of events of which you, presumably, have no first-hand knowledge.

"It is surely reasonable to infer that the viewing area reserved at the Steaua Stadium for visiting chief executives is not in the paddock occupied by the hoi polloi and that, like manager Walter Smith and his players, you would be indoors during the half-time disturbance.

"You would not, therefore, be an eye-witness to the delinquency, but would be apprised of the happenings by someone else. As a consequence, your media statement so soon after the match would be based on hearsay, never an advisable platform from which someone of your status should launch an official view on such a serious matter.

"One can, of course, appreciate the political imperatives implicit in these episodes and perhaps even understand an urge in you to get your retaliation in first, as it were. This may bring you some kudos among the aberrant fans you are seeking to excuse, but it is unlikely to impress Uefa.

Indeed, the disciplinary committee of the governing body may construe the absence of contrition or condemnation from your statement as an act of defiance. Given your followers' history, it would have been less risky to put up your hands and, in the best legalese, cop a plea."

I hope that once again the huns are about to find out that UEFA, unlike the SFA, is not in the pocket of the govanites.

Scotsman Editorial staff are still based on holyrood road in edinburgh. along with johnston press scottish division offices. They just outsource the printing. I don't understand why this makes them a 'Glasgow Paper' all of a sudden. The Herald and Post is printed in Sunderland, is that now a Mackem paper?

Surprised Gibbons is talking sense today though, usually the guy makes my blood boil.

Archived