Wembly "77. See ya, with pitch and Posts.

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

79654117.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1935121260197D6DE787F1988137397F147

default.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQI9g5p8jn0

auld-enemy-1977-version-2.jpg:10900:

Anyone remember this game,(how could you not eh), was anyone at this game or on the pitch.I was just a young chap at the time but remember watching it on TV with my family and one of my mates.

The next door neighbours son went and the next day a taxi pulled up outside his house and he sort of fell out , still a bit peshed i think.I remember this day well as he was dressed in his kilt, flag in hand and with a big grin on his face, when he seen me he smiled a said, "al right wee man, we stuffed them eh and i even have a bit of their pitch with me.:10900:

He showed me a piece of turf he had in a bag.To this day it is still their in his back garden, where i watched him plant it , a wee bit of Wembley in my neighbours garden.I sometimes see it when i am visiting my parents.

I P Knightley

Anyone remember this game,(how could you not eh), was anyone at this game or on the pitch.I was just a young chap at the time but remember watching it on TV with my family and one of my mates.

The next door neighbours son went and the next day a taxi pulled up outside his house and he sort of fell out , still a bit peshed i think.I remember this day well as he was dressed in his kilt, flag in hand and with a big grin on his face, when he seen me he smiled a said, "al right wee man, we stuffed them eh and i even have a bit of their pitch with me.:10900:

He showed me a piece of turf he had in a bag.To this day it is still their in his back garden, where i watched him plant it , a wee bit of Wembley in my neighbours garden.I sometimes see it when i am visiting my parents.

My biggest memory was not so much of the day itself (again, like you, a youngster!) but of the aftermath.

I don't doubt your neighbour's claim to have planted a few square inches of Wembley in the back garden but what I remember in the couple of weeks after the game was an awful lot of kids at my school coming in with wee patches of grass in placky bags saying it was 'part of Wembley' and that their uncle/big brother/dad etc. had given it to them.

Assuming that the same was happening in most schools around the country, there was probably enough turf being carried around Scotland by wee snot-nosed kids to build a golf course!

maroonlegions
My biggest memory was not so much of the day itself (again, like you, a youngster!) but of the aftermath.

I don't doubt your neighbour's claim to have planted a few square inches of Wembley in the back garden but what I remember in the couple of weeks after the game was an awful lot of kids at my school coming in with wee patches of grass in placky bags saying it was 'part of Wembley' and that their uncle/big brother/dad etc. had given it to them.

Assuming that the same was happening in most schools around the country, there was probably enough turf being carried around Scotland by wee snot-nosed kids to build a golf course!

Aye you are right about young kids saying they had a piece of Wembleys pitch, i remember some kids actually coming in to my school with bags of freshly dug turf claiming it was bits of the pitch.:10900:.

79654117.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1935121260197D6DE787F1988137397F147

default.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQI9g5p8jn0

auld-enemy-1977-version-2.jpg:10900:

I was there and what a day out that was.Theres a garden in Dunfermline with a square foot of turf in it and they probably dont know it:2thumbsup:

Now thats what ye call the Tartan Army, not the bunch of Dougals, Alasdairs and Farquhars that follow Scotland now, mind you we had a team worth watching, then Jock Stein ruined it.

jambo east anglia

I was there. Didn't make it onto the pitch but witnessed various pieces of turf, post and crossbar being loaded onto the Scottish buses in the Wembley car park. Happy days.

Nation of neds. Why do we revel in it when it's the whole country doing it and become horrified when it's Rangers doing it?

You can look at it two ways:

As a single event, and in the context only of football, it was an act of sheer brilliance. A giant GIRUY to the arrogant English

In the wider world, and in the context of national identity, it was a low act by a classless bunch of thugs and neanderthals. It didn't do anything but harm to Scotlands reputation.

I was there.First holiday pay ever.Went down on the Friday bus from Edinburgh with a mate,ticketless.Got two for ?32 in the Dalglish winning goal end.On the park at the end,bit of turf in mates garden.

Can remember moaning about the price of a pint in London.25p to 50p a lot more than the 12p at the time in Falkirk.

You also have to acknowledge that it was a key event in the push towards all seated stadia and alcohol bans.

No it wasnt...it was the Rangers v Celtic game 3 years later that led to the alcohol ban,and Hillsborough was the lead in getting all seated stadia,the Cullen report.:2thumbsup:

This game brought no new rule changes apart from an unsuccessful ticket ban for Scotland fans..

No it wasnt...it was the Rangers v Celtic game 3 years later that led to the alcohol ban,and Hillsborough was the lead in getting all seated stadia,the Cullen report.:2thumbsup:

This game brought no new rule changes apart from an unsuccessful ticket ban for Scotland fans..

I said it was "a" key event. At the time it was talked about extensively in the context of alcohol bans and all seated stadia.

It may not have been the tipping point, but it was a big factor.

jambo east anglia

My recollections of the events of that day were that it was sheer exuberance - nothing to do with ned behaviour or thuggery.

My recollections of the events of that day were that it was sheer exuberance - nothing to do with ned behaviour or thuggery.

Was it not this game that there was a lot of pretty bad behaviour outside of the ground with shop windows getting smashed etc.? I seem to remember a lot of bad publicity.

Exuberance or not though, if the same thing happened today it would be considered a heinous act of vandalism.

I'd be very interested to hear what our English members remember of how it was perceived at the time.

I said it was "a" key event. At the time it was talked about extensively in the context of alcohol bans and all seated stadia.

It may not have been the tipping point, but it was a big factor.

It was never mentioned to my knowledge,because it was still standing area 10 years later and you can still drink in Wembley and most other stadia in England.

maroonlegions

The media did portray the Scotland fans as thugs and i am not saying there was not any real thuggery going on outside the ground or events leading up to match day but i do think it was done in a sense of humour by the Scots fans.

Fair enough damage was done to the pitch and goal posts but the general euphoria of us winning that day, i think the first in 1-0 years added to the pure unbridled joy of the proceeding events that day.Nothing on the scale the last time we played England up here where their casual went on a wrecking crusade.

maroonlegions
Now thats what ye call the Tartan Army, not the bunch of Dougals, Alasdairs and Farquhars that follow Scotland now, mind you we had a team worth watching, then Jock Stein ruined it.

Correct, working class men from all quarters of Scotland would come together as one and nothing and know one would stand in their way, just for one day the songs would be heard , the beer would flow and the remembrance of a once proud nation would be remembered and heard in all its glory.

maroonlegions
The media did portray the Scotland fans as thugs and i am not saying there was not any real thuggery going on outside the ground or events leading up to match day but i do think it was done in a sense of humour by the Scots fans.

Fair enough damage was done to the pitch and goal posts but the general euphoria of us winning that day, i think the first in 1-0 years added to the pure unbridled joy of the proceeding events that day.Nothing on the scale the last time we played England up here where their casual went on a wrecking crusade.

Eh, that will be 10 YEARS since we had won there.:curtain:

You're right, the atmosphere was friendly and even the police were helping people onto the pitch. However, there was so much bad publicity in the English press that 4 years later the atmosphere was completely different and the police were treating everyone like thugs. I never went back after that.

You're right, the atmosphere was friendly and even the police were helping people onto the pitch. However, there was so much bad publicity in the English press that 4 years later the atmosphere was completely different and the police were treating everyone like thugs. I never went back after that.

sorry, that should be 2 years later - 1979.

Archived