I watched Panorama

John Findlay

on Monday and the programme was about social workers and the work they do in protecting children.

I couldnt help but notice(this may just be relevant to the city of Coventry) that it appeared to be 90% females as to 10% males in social working. Is this correct right across the board?

John

on Monday and the programme was about social workers and the work they do in protecting children.

I couldnt help but notice(this may just be relevant to the city of Coventry) that it appeared to be 90% females as to 10% males in social working. Is this correct right across the board?

John

I don't think that one example of a Social Work department can really lead to this conclusion.

I don't think that one example of a Social Work department can really lead to this conclusion.

What conclusion? What he asked was if other social work depts are the same as the one in Coventry and predominantly staffed by females

What conclusion? What he asked was if other social work depts are the same as the one in Coventry and predominantly staffed by females

I know he did and I am saying that I don't believe that this one example could lead to the conclusion that all social work departments across the country have more female social workers than male.

I know he did and I am saying that I don't believe that this one example could lead to the conclusion that all social work departments across the country have more female social workers than male.

Don't want to keep repeating myself but the OP hasn't reached any conclusion he's asked if the Coventry social work dept is a fair reflection on social work departments across the country

Don't want to keep repeating myself but the OP hasn't reached any conclusion he's asked if the Coventry social work dept is a fair reflection on social work departments across the country

I am answering his question!

So are you saying that social work departments are predominantly male, female or somewhere down the middle.

From my limited personal knowledge i'd say female but i might be wrong

Nice change to be on the other side of an argument Le Chat? :curtain:

So are you saying that social work departments are predominantly male, female or somewhere down the middle.

From my limited personal knowledge i'd say female but i might be wrong

Nice change to be on the other side of an argument Le Chat? :curtain:

I couldn't possibly say. I just don't think that one department in Britain can be a reliable indicator of the ratio.

I'm actually quite shocked that the OP was alerted to just this. For me, the programme highlighted a catalogue of problems experienced up and down the country in social work departments. Lack of staff, too many cases, not enough resources and negative media attention to name a few.

As someone who is currently training to be a social worker, I would say 90% is a bit high but it is seriously dominated by females, much like childcare. nursing or primary teaching. As an example, my current class is 50 with 7 males. When I did the HNC in Social Care, in a class of 27, 3 were men.

Qualifications (its the same degree route as anywhere else, though it is quite intensive) and pay (which is slightly better than average, though for ****e you get, you have a point MJ) isnt much of an issue.

Public perception (especially those perpetuated by the media) of why a male is in a 'caring' profession certainly is. I get plenty of funny looks when I say what I am doing, right across the board, though I haven't experienced such a reaction during my placement, though I fully expect in my next or indeed when qualified.

Overworked and underfunded is a typical social work department.

As a fairly newly qualified social worker who has been in post for around a year, I pretty much agree with all Chester said above. My course mates were predominantly all female and in my current workplace out of a team of around 12 social workers, there are only 2 males. Given the range of people using the service though I think more males need to get into the profession.

For what it's worth, I also thought the programme on Monday was pretty good as it highlighted the major problems ie lack of funding and resources, as opposed to slagging off the workers. It's not really anything new to those working in that profession but it was refreshing to see it highlighted as a problem.

jambojackbilly

Most Social workers get by on the minimum, when it comes to qualifications

Many do a great job, but they are sadly surrounded by incompetents, who's limitations hit the headline's on daily basis

Pin down ( N.E England ) and Orkney springs to mind , not forgetting Baby P :43:

Female orientated with their ideology in place that would put Germaine Greer's train of thought to shame :th_o:

Sounds like the kind of job to get into if you are a man who likes playing hide the sausage then..................................

Now to really cause a stooshie.

I believe that is one of the problems of social working in that it does appear to be female dominated. I know I am going to get kicked allover the place for this post but, hey I have balls of steel :10900:. Women to me are dilly dalliers. They take to long to make up their minds. It is not delibarate but, just the way they are made. To me they do far to much talking when in cases it is a more speedy re-action that is needed. Ladies I am very sorry for this next bit but, I do believe you let your emotions get in the way at times. You cannot detach yourselves like the male can.

I firmly believe that there should most certainly be more males in social work, primary teaching and so on but alas we do not have a Harriet Harman to put this forward.

John

far too many social workers if you ask me (not that you did but you know what I mean)

In all fairness, you don't live in the UK.

In all fairness, you don't live in the UK.

Not all the time anyway.TBH I have never had any dealings with the social work department so everything I see about them is on the telly and in the papers. NOt entirley sure what their function is in life and going by what I read and see a lot of them are not doing it very well anyway, hence the comment, too many of them. Sack em all.:smiley2:

Not all the time anyway.TBH I have never had any dealings with the social work department so everything I see about them is on the telly and in the papers. NOt entirley sure what their function is in life and going by what I read and see a lot of them are not doing it very well anyway, hence the comment, too many of them. Sack em all.:smiley2:

If that is your ignorant outlook, then it is probably best if you stay over the sea, and far away. I do suspect you're on the wind up, though, so I will leave it at that.

Archived