Automatic cars

future is maroon

future is maroon

Anyone got any thoughts on these.

Always seemed to think these were for older folk and a bit lacking when it comes to speed and handling etc but just wondering peoples thoughts or experiences.

Have had many sports injuries to my left foot/ankle over the years so was thinking of looking into automatics as saves hassle with the ol' clutch control.

Miller Jambo 60
Anyone got any thoughts on these.

Always seemed to think these were for older folk and a bit lacking when it comes to speed and handling etc but just wondering peoples thoughts or experiences.

Have had many sports injuries to my left foot/ankle over the years so was thinking of looking into automatics as saves hassle with the ol' clutch control.

Have driven all types and TBH, a lazy mans car and easy to drive.

Dont go for a cheap one as an auto box is more cash to replace.

Drive a lot in the USA and it's always an auto. Never any probs with relability (or speed, depending on the engine)

I had a VW Toureg auto for a bit here as well and loved it.........way to heavy on the juice though.

If I did a lot of stop/start motoring now I would defo get one.

You could always try the VW/Audi DSG box, which is a cross between auto/manual.

Wife's car is an automatic - pain in the farter for overtaking on A-roads (which is as good as we've got up here).

Aren't there loads of clutchless manual-type boxes around these days?

Having said that, an auto-box would be splendid for city driving.

Goodmorningmrfisherman

Automatic no problems nowadays compared to the days gone by.

Don't listen to the claptrap of not getting away quicker versus manual,utter rubbish unless its a pro sports driver involved,majority of people driving wouldn't know how to perform a quick control start using gears anyway.

Nearly all cars here are auto. Definitely a lazy mans choice, but nowt wrong with that.

Drove a subaru with an auto box and the semi-manual up and down the gears option. Must admit that seemed a bit wanky.

If you drive at all fast you will want a manual. If, like me, you drive like a flat capper you will love the sloth of an auto.

Toyota Camry auto seems bulletproof.

I've got an automatic here in the States, and I have no complaints - very easy to drive, but then life is generally pretty easy over here also so it fits right in...

Geoff Kilpatrick
Nearly all cars here are auto. Definitely a lazy mans choice, but nowt wrong with that.

Drove a subaru with an auto box and the semi-manual up and down the gears option. Must admit that seemed a bit wanky.

If you drive at all fast you will want a manual. If, like me, you drive like a flat capper you will love the sloth of an auto.

Toyota Camry auto seems bulletproof.

Away with you! Two cars in the drive and they are both manual. I hate automatics!

Professor Ratbaggy

If you go for the auto option make sure you get an engine big enough to cope.

I've a 1600 Toyoya corolla as a runabout for commuting and with the automatic gear box, air con and power steering the engine is struggling to cope.

It also hunts between gears when accelerating under a bit of pressure (like overtaking a big truck or climbing a hill) which is a pain.

Apart from that it's just whatever you prefer although I do associate automatics with lardy, sweaty polyester clad Americans.

Automatic for me especially good for town driving. None of your gear changing for me which is great with all the speed bumps in EH. Just kick-down to get a lower gear to speed-up for overtaking.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Got an E Class automatic

Brilliant car especially when you shove the auto box in sports mode

I drive an S Type (2.5se) But it was a neccesity due to a football injury and being on crutches for 3 months, luckily i kept the car (and the crutches) as i injured my other leg 12 months later!!

I P Knightley

I had an Alfa with the Selespeed gear changer. Only 2 pedals but the choice to change manually, using the steering wheel controls or a stick, or to switch it into "City" mode where it worked automatically.

It was a brilliant compromise. I did a fairly long & dreary commute where I used the City mode but when I got out on the twisty roads, I was able to have proper fun.

I drive an automatic and my last couple of cars have been as well.

The main reason being that Mercedes manual boxes are utter rubbish but the automatics are very good.

I P Knightley
I drive an automatic and my last couple of cars have been as well.

The main reason being that Mercedes manual boxes are utter rubbish but the automatics are very good.

I have a friend who, when he bought his first Merc, insisted on having a manual. What he hadn't counted on was the parking brake being a 4th pedal (with the button release). It must have taken him about 6 months to master the hill start :o

Ive got the Skoda Superb II 2.0l DSG box, best car ive driven. Well worth a look at. 170bhp deisel, plenty of power also has flappy playstation paddles when you want to control the gears.

Drive an automatic as I bought my mums old car off her, and she can only drive automatics. It has never had any problems in 10 years of use. Actually really convenient to drive about the centre of town with the constant stopping and starting.

If you have a gammy left-leg, go for it, 100%.

I have an automatic with a 2.2 engine and have no problems at all and there is also the option to change it to manual with the flick of a button.I actually find it accelarates better than my last car which was a manual with a 2.6 engine.Much smoother journey.

This is my first automatic and would not go back to manual now.

The VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat DSG auto box is the best going. It pre-selects the next gear depending on how your driving (speeding up/slowing down), so the next cog is spinning at the same speed as the one your using, so the changes are practically seamless. Better suited for bigger cars though (like the excellent Skoda Superb), they still haven't perfected it yet in smaller cars. This is the same for most small cars with auto boxes.

The Smart fortwo nearly gives you whiplash when it changes gear!

Gears are for girls :2thumbsup:

You've seen that mobile vid that was doing the rounds a while back as well then:th_o:

I just bought a new Honda Accord, as all my primary vehicles have been since coming to Canada it is automatic, I b ought the bigger engine V6, and the power is excellent. I have done lots of driving with a standard transmission, but there is no way I could attain the take off speed I do in this car without a screaming engine and furious changing of gears.

Archived