Request re. posting links...

Winston Ingram

Winston Ingram

Any chance people could start copying and pasting the articles/statements/comments they are posting links to instead of just the link itself?

Am sure I am not the only one who gets cheesed off with clicking through link after link when the entire thing could be read on here. Not helped by the fact some of the descriptions of the stories involved are either deliberately obtuse or wide of the mark.

Cheers!

Wouldn't that break the rule about not posting copyrighted material?

Pretty much. That and a lot of web sites are designed to make it difficult to copy and paste stuff, the Hearts one for example.

Is it really that much trouble for you to click on a link?

i believe all articles are covered by copyright and before you can publish any or even part of, you must request permission firstly from the copyright owner. the way to satisfy any publication is paste a link which re-directs you to the original site of publication.

Winston Ingram

Plenty other messageboards seem to manage this without apparently breaching copyright? Not sure where you would stop if that was the script.. is it breaching copyright to ping an email round 50 of your mates with a newspaper article in it?

Is the key posting the link and where story comes from at the top of the post, maybe?

Would just save a lot of hassle. Especially, as I say, because people have some weird tendency to post inaccurate or pseudo-funny statements about what said story actually actually says! The Scotsman site, for example, seems perfectly easy to copy and paste.

on most articles there is a copyright notice and advice for using the text/photograph etc. most times you could copy and paste items without any bother as the copyright owner would not be aware of its use. but all it takes is for someone to take liberty at the fact their work has been published without their consent or some nasty vindictive person notifies the copyright owner and things could get a bit messy in a legal sense. so i suppose to avoid any confusion or threats and to basically abide by normal forum rules a link satisfies all areas of doubt.

Archived