Moon

Rab87

Moon River, wider than a mile,

I'm crossing you in style some day.

Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker,

wherever you're going I'm going your way.

Two drifters off to see the world.

There's such a lot of world to see.

We're after the same rainbow's end--

waiting 'round the bend,

my huckleberry friend,

Moon River and me.

Before this thread gets closed. Heres a puzzle for anoraks.

In all the hundreds of photos and videos taken from the moons surface by Apollo, you never see the earth in the background. Why?

ML will post that its because the photos are all faked, but there is a more straightforward answer.

Any ideas?

Cheers mate. That explains a lot.

No problem. At least I think that is the moon. Maybe you were right the first time. Easy mistake to make. I was on the cider watching the Newcastle match so I maybe got a bit confused.

Heres something else thats interesting about the moon. Well at least to me anyway.

The Moon is not its real planetary name. It has an official name, like Earth, Mars etc, but everyone insists on calling it the moon. But thats bollocks.

What is its real name? Eh? Come ahead.

Och I'm going to bed. I'm a bit pashed to be honest.

Bollocks. That Scientist is a ****.

The real planetary name for the moon is Luna.

Bet you don't get my earlier question though. A quid.

Just out of interest. When I was a kid I used to howl at the moon and I occasionally get the temptation to do that nowadays but I fear Mrs Deeside may get a bit embarrassed. Neighbours and all that.

Does any other KB'er get an inkling to go outside and howl at it?

Just wondering.

In all the hundreds of photos and videos taken from the moons surface by Apollo, you never see the earth in the background. Why?

ML will post that its because the photos are all faked, but there is a more straightforward answer.

Any ideas?

they`d need to be looking straight up?

Moon River, wider than a mile,

I'm crossing you in style some day.

Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker,

wherever you're going I'm going your way.

Two drifters off to see the world.

There's such a lot of world to see.

We're after the same rainbow's end--

waiting 'round the bend,

my huckleberry friend,

Moon River and me.

Profer Danny Williams to Andy Williams

this_is_my_story

Any ideas?

Go on then!

Bollocks. That Scientist is a ****.

The real planetary name for the moon is Luna.

Bet you don't get my earlier question though. A quid.

I knew Luna!

Something to do with the positioning of the sun, or the reflecting brightness of the earth washing out any photo perhaps?

Weren't all the moon missions to the dark side of the moon? The side away from the earth.

Nope - they had to be Earth side in order to keep radio contact. When the capsules go round the backside of the moon they lose contact with Earth.

Sorry about last nite - Mrs Deeside was out on a hen or something so I settled down to watch the footie with a few tins.

Anyway, heres the answer you were all waiting for -

The Moon (ahem, Luna) is in a strange orbit called geosynchrous or something like that. That means it spins on its axis at precisely the same period as it orbits the earth (28 days). This is common in planetary science. I think Pluto and its sister planet Charon do the same.

Anyway, what that means is the same side of the moon always faces earth. Every time you look at the moon you always see the same side. The "far side" is never seen by earth.

All the Apollo missions landed in the near side, and as such, from their perspective, the Earth was always directly above them in the sky, i.e. at 12 o'clock. This allowed them direct radio comms with earth when the Command Module (which was still in Lunar orbit while they were on the surface) was round the far side.

But also this explains why the earth was never in their photos as it was directly above them all the time and never moves when viewed from the lunar surface.

Interesting eh?

Well try this one then - Apollo 13 suffered an explosion. But that explosion acually saved their lives. Why?

750px-earth-moon.jpg

I thought someone may post one of these photos. That photo (and all others like it) were taken from the window of the Command module as it orbitted the moon. The photo wasnt taken from the surface.

The CM orbitted every 2 hours or so, so they got an "Earthrise" photo opportunity every 2 hours.

Meanwhile on the surface the earth stayed exactly where is was all the time.

maroonlegions

Any ideas?

First post on this thread and i see you have already started lies about me and referring to me and mentioning also my name when i have not posted on his thread you never give up do you.

Now for the umpteenth time please show where i ever said the that the moon landings never took place. There is many original photos from the moon including the ones from the Clementine probe in the 70s that took hundreds of moon photos and some of these Clementine photos and Apollo photos have been digitally enhanced with greater resolution.

These photos are still available on NASAS web site and the Clementine source links. These photos have been digital enhanced by those people ,( suspicious of swallowing every official explanation of things.), and with better ,clearer high resolution of these pictures they do show POSSIBLE unnatural structures on the moon.

That"s my take on it any way. Does anyone ever on here ever or has digitally enhanced any pictures from Apollo or the Clementine probe , would you be able to tell any possible anomalies in these photos?? There are people who can.

You can if you have the right equipment like the people who have done so.Its all about looking for your self or looking at information from people who have looked for themselves and enhanced these photos and found possible unnatural structures , the official take on every thing is not always the be all and end all.

This image below was captured on Google Moon , either the Google Moon Gremlins,(employees who work for Google ,(not literal gremlins i may add before DSJ trys and convinces everyone that i believe in google gremlins), where playing party tricks or this image is genuine and appears to show an unnatural structure.

Anomaly discovered in the Sea of Serenity.

ad3_2.jpg

From google moon version 5, you can check coordinates at the bottom of photos AND CHECK GOOGLE MOON FOR YOUR SELF.

Sorry about last nite - Mrs Deeside was out on a hen or something so I settled down to watch the footie with a few tins.

The Moon (ahem, Luna) is in a strange orbit called geosynchrous or something like that. That means it spins on its axis at precisely the same period as it orbits the earth (28 days). This is common in planetary science. I think Pluto and its sister planet Charon do the same.

Anyway, what that means is the same side of the moon always faces earth. Every time you look at the moon you always see the same side. The "far side" is never seen by earth.

All the Apollo missions landed in the near side, and as such, from their perspective, the Earth was always directly above them in the sky, i.e. at 12 o'clock. This allowed them direct radio comms with earth when the Command Module (which was still in Lunar orbit while they were on the surface) was round the far side.

But also this explains why the earth was never in their photos as it was directly above them all the time and never moves when viewed from the lunar surface.

Interesting eh?

Well try this one then - Apollo 13 suffered an explosion. But that explosion acually saved their lives. Why?

because if they had landed on the moon as per their mission they would have encountered the clangers who would have dismantled the LEM just like they did to a previous mission which was all covered up to save the embarrassment.

here's some top secret footage i have...

clangers-music_1202458i.jpg

pretty much proves everything i've said.

murderers.

Just out of interest. When I was a kid I used to howl at the moon and I occasionally get the temptation to do that nowadays but I fear Mrs Deeside may get a bit embarrassed. Neighbours and all that.

Does any other KB'er get an inkling to go outside and howl at it?

Just wondering.

Not inclined to do that myself, but emergency service folk say that (anecdotally) "business" picks-up significantly when it is a full-moon. Lots of people going mental, and on-edge.

Midwives also report an up-turn in business.

Not inclined to do that myself, but emergency service folk say that (anecdotally) "business" picks-up significantly when it is a full-moon. Lots of people going mental, and on-edge.

Midwives also report an up-turn in business.

That is, for some reason, true. Hence the word lunatic, from Luna.

because if they had landed on the moon as per their mission they would have encountered the clangers who would have dismantled the LEM just like they did to a previous mission which was all covered up to save the embarrassment.

here's some top secret footage i have...

clangers-music_1202458i.jpg

pretty much proves everything i've said.

murderers.

I warned you not to **** with the Clangers. They may look like little knitted fluffy things but believe me they are vicious evil bassas. They are controlled by the reptilians and they use the Cybermen as muscle.

Be warned.

ad3_2.jpg

If that is genuine we could find this person inside......

[ATTACH]3021[/ATTACH]

.......cheap day return to the moon please!

:smiley2:

I don't normally resort to cheap sexist comments, but I do insist that, in this particular case, somebody gets her pumped.

ding ding!! all aboard the moon base alpha express.

next stop... the moon. you might be coming back.

1999eagle.jpg

a mate of mine is actually right into that space 1999 nonsense. oh dear.

Tiberius Stinkfinger
ding ding!! all aboard the moon base alpha express.

next stop... the moon. you might be coming back.

1999eagle.jpg

a mate of mine is actually right into that space 1999 nonsense. oh dear.

The moon has a lot to answer to I can assure you.

Anyhoo, I'm aff oot, I'm starvin !!!

HowlOfTheWerewolf.jpg

The moon has a lot to answer to I can assure you.

Anyhoo, I'm aff oot, I'm starvin !!!

HowlOfTheWerewolf.jpg

by a strange coincidence 'lycanthropic maroon' was one of my many aliases on the hobosman site.

Interesting eh?

Close but no cigar, a geosynchronous orbit is one where a satellite appears to remain in the same place in the sky at all times, this is where all the communication satellites live, it is some 22,240 miles above the surface.

The Moon, oops Luna, is in a synchronous rotational orbit where, as you say the rotation of the object is the same as the orbital time meaning that one face is always facing the centre of the orbit. The moon is roughly 238,857 miles from Earth.

One of my favourite science fiction short stories is 'Inconstant Moon' by Larry Niven (1971) which about a 'VERY' bright Moon. Fantastic idea, classic writing

Close but no cigar, a geosynchronous orbit is one where a satellite appears to remain in the same place in the sky at all times, this is where all the communication satellites live, it is some 22,240 miles above the surface.

The Moon, oops Luna, is in a synchronous rotational orbit where, as you say the rotation of the object is the same as the orbital time meaning that one face is always facing the centre of the orbit. The moon is roughly 238,857 miles from Earth.

One of my favourite science fiction short stories is 'Inconstant Moon' by Larry Niven (1971) which about a 'VERY' bright Moon. Fantastic idea, classic writing

Thanks - Thats why I said "or something like that". I couldn't remember the word.

Anyone know why the Apollo 13 explosion saved their lives?

I P Knightley
The Moon (ahem, Luna) is in a strange orbit called geosynchrous or something like that. That means it spins on its axis at precisely the same period as it orbits the earth (28 days).

Duurrrgh! (Me, not you)

I can't follow this.

The moon rotates on its axis, right? That means (before we consider orbit and the spin of the earth) that the 'near' side sometimes becomes the far side. So far so good? And you're telling me that it takes 28 days (g or t) for the near side to go round the back and become the near side once again.

Now, this spinning ball orbits the earth taking 28 days, too.

So on day 0, it's over the Greenwich meridien (fursakeoargument) with the near side facing Greenwich.

Then on day 14, it's whirled round, sitting over the date line (180 degrees) but, in the time its taken to get there the 'near' side has gone round the back.

Forget it. I just did it with a coffee cup and a saucer. Works if the moon both rotates and orbits anti-clockwise (or both clockwise)...

Thanks - Thats why I said "or something like that". I couldn't remember the word.

My guess is that the explosion took place before launch and therefore averted a more serious catastrophe in the sky.

This is bugging me as I'm certain that Stephen Fry told us all on QI once.

because there was a problem with the 2nd oxygen tank (the ine that blew). it was reading as being more than 100% full so they were told to rotate or mix the tank (not sure of the correct term) they would have had to do this anyway but it ould have been after the landing on the moon. As this mixture gave the power to the space ship. They did this before the planned landing on the moon. if they had done this after using the lunar module to land on the moon they would not have had enough power to get back home as they came back in the lunar module. So the explosion would have happened at some point, with it being before the landing it meant they had enough power to get home

because there was a problem with the 2nd oxygen tank (the ine that blew). it was reading as being more than 100% full so they were told to rotate or mix the tank (not sure of the correct term) they would have had to do this anyway but it ould have been after the landing on the moon. As this mixture gave the power to the space ship. They did this before the planned landing on the moon. if they had done this after using the lunar module to land on the moon they would not have had enough power to get back home as they came back in the lunar module. So the explosion would have happened at some point, with it being before the landing it meant they had enough power to get home

Correct. I thought I was the only person that knew this. On the flightplan they were scheduled to stir the tanks on the way back at which time there would have been no LEM to save them.

They were only told to stir the tanks on the way out to give them something to occupy their time. Then the LEM was still attached so it provided life support to get them back.

Interesting eh?

I never realised that but it does make proper sense, you learn something new every day.

I see there is a new BBC blog out there by Jonathon Amos reporting on Space related news from a European perspective,

Nothing that ML need concern himself with, no speculation about wild improbable, and mostly meaningless unsupported guff just interesting info about the relatively important but real job of space exploration.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/jonathanamos/

For those who read JKB and have a proper interest in space technology.

Latest photo of the Apollo 11 site.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/multimedia/lroimages/lroc_200911109_apollo11.html

For normal people - this photo was taken from a distance of 50km from the LRO orbitter. It shows the astronauts foot trails and the various pieces of kit left on the surface. The detail is enough to show the landers footpads and the rocks which Armstrong had to avoid by taking manual control of the LEM to land.

For Conspiracy Theorists - its faked by those NASA murderers.

Quite simply the computer power in 1969 would have been bigger than the craft. Moon landings are Science fiction.

The real evidence is the gravity argument. Even a 1/10 earths gravity the flag would have fallen.Fake moon

Quite simply the computer power in 1969 would have been bigger than the craft. Moon landings are Science fiction.

The real evidence is the gravity argument. Even a 1/10 earths gravity the flag would have fallen.Fake moon

Which "gravity argument"? Are you saying the flag would have fallen over even though it was driven into the surface material? Please explain.

As for the computer. Of course it was larger than they are nowadays but it only had very limited functionality and Armstrong didn't actually use it at all for the landing. He piloted the LEM manually.

Maybe look here before posting - http://www.clavius.org

Archived