your fav Scottish song?

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

What is your favourite song either written or performed by someone Scottish or about Scotland. So it could be a recent song or it could be a stirring traditional song.

At the moment I really like this song

Tinseltown In The Rain by The Blue Nile. Every time. Thread closed!!!!!

brilliant song!

this and caledonia every time for me personally

Erm, this is where I own up and admit that my favourite "Scottish song" was in fact written by an Englishman.

Ah well. :hat2:

Erm, this is where I own up and admit that my favourite "Scottish song" was in fact written by an Englishman.

Ah well. :hat2:

Jees!

I can just imagine them playing that before an international at Hampden.

You would have to fire the one oclock gun into the crowd to wake the tartan army up!

chester copperpot

I cannot tell if people are being serious or taking the **** on this thread.

By large, Scottish music is rubbish, and we've not produced many bands to be proud of IMO. I have a soft spot for Glasvegas, but I find all this folk music, shortbread tin kind of stuff rather embarrassing as a Scotsman.

Each to their own and all that.

I hate Simple Minds, The Proclaimers, Wet X 3 and the like, I suppose I can let Big Country and Deacon Blue pass, but the rest, well meh.

I P Knightley

By large, Scottish music is rubbish, and we've not produced many bands to be proud of IMO. I have a soft spot for Glasvegas, but I find all this folk music, shortbread tin kind of stuff rather embarrassing as a Scotsman.

I hate Simple Minds, The Proclaimers, Wet X 3 and the like, I suppose I can let Big Country and Deacon Blue pass, but the rest, well meh.

In your haste, you've overlooked The Wee Kirkudbright Centipede.

I trust you'll now retract your comments :o

Seriously, though, I think there are plenty of good songs written by Scots to choose from. True, the absolute best songs ever have their origins in New Jersey or Shepherd's Bush/Ealing but the shouts for Deacon Blue, Big Country, Al Stewart all show that there's good stuff to work with.

Even some of the shortbread tin stuff, if you disassociate it from the 'shortbread tin' mentality and listen to it in absolute terms, is good music. You can't really say that For a' That is a bad song - can you?

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

You were actually doing quite well there until you admitted a soft spot for Glasvegas. Give me even The Proclaimers before them. And I fuffing hate the Proclaimers

for this time of year i'll add this.......

for comedy value i'll add this..........

Craig Gordons Gloves

Awawiye! (scottish there byraway :))

Anyway - i give you the following Scottish Bands to be proud of (some of which you mentioned)....

Deacon Blue

Big Country

Simple Minds

Teenage Fanclub

Primal Scream

Belle & Sebastian

The Blue Nile

Travis

The Skids

The Jesus & Mary Chain

Aztec Camera

Camera Obscura

The Silencers

plus probably many more that i have forgotten.

:10900:

back to the thread - best Scottish song ever is still Dignity although there is something fantastic about flying back into Edinburgh with Caledonia playing on the ipod (hiding it from the cabin crew :)

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Primal Scream: Kowalski, Swastika Eyes, Rocks, Jailbird, Your Cheating me, Loaded... In fact virtually everything by Primal Scream.

Also...

Silencers: Mountain Thyme.

Runrig: Loch Lomond.

Deacon Blue: Dignity, Twist and Shout, Real Gone Kid.

Fratellis: Chelsea dagger, ***** Love

The View: The Same Jeans/Hats of to the Buskers.

Texas: I don't want a Lover, Black eyed Boy.

Simple Minds: Alive and Kicking.

Eurythmics: Orchestra of Angels, Sweet Dreams, Here comes the rain, When Tomorrow Comes.

Dymension: Don't Stop.

Ultra Sonic: The Pulse.

This is too hard...!!

chester copperpot
You were actually doing quite well there until you admitted a soft spot for Glasvegas. Give me even The Proclaimers before them. And I fuffing hate the Proclaimers

I knew I'd get pelters for that part, but as I said, each to their own I guess.

Primal Scream: Kowalski, Swastika Eyes, Rocks, Jailbird, Your Cheating me, Loaded... In fact virtually everything by Primal Scream.

Also...

Eurythmics: Orchestra of Angels, Sweet Dreams, Here comes the rain, When Tomorrow Comes.

This is too hard...!!

Your spot on with Primal Scream!

Why has nobody mentioned "dry the rain" by the Beta Band?

Never mind the best "Scottish" song, it's the BEST song ever!

If any song by a Scottish band qualifies, rather than one being about Scotland, then the winner is Into the Valley by The Skids.

The White Cockade

Years back used to go to the Caledonian bar on Friday nights to see North Sea Gas

Their version of Johnny Cope was awesome

also Japanese Boy by Aneka, Bye Bye Baby by the Rollers, Forever by Slik, Jolene by Strawberry Switchblade, I can Feel Mad by Bilbo Baggins, Fergus Sings the Blues by Deacon Blue, Mary's Prayer by Danny Wilson, Looking for Linda by Hue and Cry and Magic by Pilot

sadly I actually like all of them and i'm not on the wind up.....

Wild Mountain Thyme by The Silencers was also a good shout

Also...

This is too hard...!!

thread closed...

Archived