Is society REALLY on the slide?

wibble

Reading the pubs of yesteryear thread makes you realise how much drinking used to go on in the streets of Edinburgh.

When I lived in Newington the drunks in the street were seriously noisy and there was always a fight or two - once a guy got kicked to death on the steps of my flats - of course I slept right through it with the help of a bucketful of Callie 80.

Everyone is on JKB every day wringing their hands about how bad things have become, but are they any worse than they ever were?

Reading the pubs of yesteryear thread makes you realise how much drinking used to go on in the streets of Edinburgh.

When I lived in Newington the drunks in the street were seriously noisy and there was always a fight or two - once a guy got kicked to death on the steps of my flats - of course I slept right through it with the help of a bucketful of Callie 80.

Everyone is on JKB every day wringing their hands about how bad things have become, but are they any worse than they ever were?

Aye that was a rough street.

Before they burnt it down.

jambos are go!

Every generation thinks the young get away with murder compared to their day. Drunkeness in the my younger days was largely due to trying to drink as much as you could from around 8pm to 1015 pm when the pubs shut. That usually included trying to swallow 2 or 3 pints in the last 20 minutes or so. You then had all the drunks on the street at the same time. Extended opening hours has pluses you know.

The problem is that the general public have been scared witless by the fear peddled by the government and media.

Fear of terrorism.

Fear of violence.

Fear of immigrants.

People have become happy to sacrifice their freedoms and liberties to stop these "imaginary" criminals from upsetting their lives.

What this means is that all of the variety and fun is disappearing from our lives and we are pushed more and more towards nights in playing Nintendo or posting on JKB.

Where was that, in my time spent considerable time in the Southern, The Abbey, The Junction and the Falcon. Infrequent visits to the Castle O'Clouts. Never seen anyone hurt.

Mebbe all soldiers before they got the Military Police like you suggested when I questioned the dropping of British society.

In my opinion it's a lot worse than it was.

I was walking home last night at the back of nine and had to step aside from a group of neds taking up the whole pavement. They were about 15, I'm 43. It wouldn't have happened when I was 15. And I used to hang around with my mates on street corners, we wouldn't have hassled a bloke in his 40's. Now they have no fear in their mob.

Where was that, in my time spent considerable time in the Southern, The Abbey, The Junction and the Falcon. Infrequent visits to the Castle O'Clouts. Never seen anyone hurt.

Mebbe all soldiers before they got the Military Police like you suggested when I questioned the dropping of British society.

Bob.

Did you ever have long greasy hair and a leather jacket?

Bob.

Did you ever have long greasy hair and a leather jacket?

Never had a long leather jacket and only had greasy hair when I finished my pie supper mentioned in another thread. I did have at one time a Pacific blue suit brothel creepers, and a DA haircut. All stopped when I arrived at the Depot in Caterham as a seventeen year old.

this_is_my_story

I was walking home last night at the back of nine and had to step aside from a group of neds taking up the whole pavement. They were about 15, I'm 43. It wouldn't have happened when I was 15. And I used to hang around with my mates on street corners, we wouldn't have hassled a bloke in his 40's. Now they have no fear in their mob.

That pretty much sums it up for me, and I'm nearly ten years your junior. Nowadays, 13-14-15 year olds just seem a lot more mouthy and prepared to have a go than they did when I was that age.

I had a flat in West Preston Street, opposite the Falcon.

The guy that got murdered was a one off, but there was often a scuffle here or there.

The reason I asked is that it's 10 yrs since I left and it sounds like in that time people have become afriad to leave the house.

As Tazio says when 15 kids are hanging on corners hassling 40 yr olds it's a worry.

The worst thing about todays society is we now have a government that promotes single mothers.

That rewards people to have children they cant afford and cant look after.

That makes people on "invalidity" better off than those that want to work.

That does not sentence thugs and jakies to the sentences they deserve.

That has a police force that hide behind paperwork as an excuse to avoid tackling the vermin who are taking over the housing schemes.

That tolerate the brown envelope brigade that line there own pockets on every public spending developement. ( include politicians in this)

That allow bankers to continue to shaft us after they bankrupted the Country.

That allow X factor..............................................................

I had a flat in West Preston Street, opposite the Falcon.

The guy that got murdered was a one off, but there was often a scuffle here or there.

The reason I asked is that it's 10 yrs since I left and it sounds like in that time people have become afriad to leave the house.

As Tazio says when 15 kids are hanging on corners hassling 40 yr olds it's a worry.

There is no doubt everything has changed in the forty odd years since I left. There has always been punks but it seems the older you get the more of them there are around. :smiley2:I blame Vlad:smiley2:

There is no doubt everything has changed in the forty odd years since I left. There has always been punks but it seems the older you get the more of them there are around. :smiley2:I blame Vlad:smiley2:

Vlad must take his share of the blame.

Appearing on "strictly come dancing" did nothing for his street cred.

If only his agent had signed him up for " strictly kosh a drug dealer".

Glad its not just me at 39 ive crossed the road once or twice to avoid the braying mob but i vividly remember parting we were that age to let 'older' guys through...and even if one of our crowd did say anything after they were 15ft past, all it took was for them to stop and turn for us to scarper to the four winds.

Glad its not just me at 39 ive crossed the road once or twice to avoid the braying mob but i vividly remember parting we were that age to let 'older' guys through...and even if one of our crowd did say anything after they were 15ft past, all it took was for them to stop and turn for us to scarper to the four winds.

Sadly seems that young girls are as bad as boys now as well.I'm no prude but the language from young girls is shocking.Some of the talk you hear in buses and the likes is shocking.

Indeed this is the case.

There is no discipline in schools, no consideration for others, and parents who themselves care nothing for anyone else. So kids become feral.

The possibility was always there in the past, but has no been let loose. Human nature is corrupt and liberal society has no control when the self becomes more important than considering others.

Archived