Supermarket Parking Tickets.

this_is_my_story

this_is_my_story

Received one of these today, issued by Town and City Parking Limited.

I recall seeing a thread here not so long ago about with similar content, and I'm pretty sure that very few, if any of these parking fines, are legally enforceable.

They're asking for ?40, which if not paid within ten days, will go up to ?70. They also state on the notice that they'll request details of the registered keeper from the DVLA should the notice remain outstanding after the ten day 'discount period' has expired.

At the very bottom of the notice:

"Failure to respond will lead to civil legal action being taken to recover the parking charge (together with any judicial expenses that may be incurred)."

Anyone have any idea?

I recall seeing a thread here not so long ago about with similar content, and I'm pretty sure that very few, if any of these parking fines, are legally enforceable.

They're asking for ?40, which if not paid within ten days, will go up to ?70. They also state on the notice that they'll request details of the registered keeper from the DVLA should the notice remain outstanding after the ten day 'discount period' has expired.

"Failure to respond will lead to civil legal action being taken to recover the parking charge (together with any judicial expenses that may be incurred)."

Anyone have any idea?

Depends if they are being reasonable about it or not. If it's unwarranted you got a case, if not, they have. It's an invoice, not a fine, so not sure if they can increase it.

I dont know all the ins and outs with these companies, but one company I do have some knowledge of is Central Ticketing, I do think the tickets have some credence however, we noticed that all the information we received from Central Ticketing had something about "English Law" on it so I am led to believe that this may point to it not being 100% enforceable in Scotland. They can certainly issue them, they can certainly report unpaid tickets to the DVLA but I just dont know if they can enforce collection from those who take it all the way. I have a stack of info on this company if anyone wants further info I can look up see what it says. Best to P/M me if you do and I can look it out tomorrow when I'm in the office

If you parked there outwith the terms of the parking arrangements I'd just pay it. If you were in the wrong I dont see whether its legally enforcable or not has to do with it. You could technically squirm out of it but I dont reckon that's actually worth 40 quid in terms of hassle and being on a list somewhere if you didn't read the signs properly when you entered.

this_is_my_story
I dont know all the ins and outs with these companies, but one company I do have some knowledge of is Central Ticketing, I do think the tickets have some credence however, we noticed that all the information we received from Central Ticketing had something about "English Law" on it so I am led to believe that this may point to it not being 100% enforceable in Scotland. They can certainly issue them, they can certainly report unpaid tickets to the DVLA but I just dont know if they can enforce collection from those who take it all the way. I have a stack of info on this company if anyone wants further info I can look up see what it says. Best to P/M me if you do and I can look it out tomorrow when I'm in the office

Cheers Tom, I might do that.

I have to say though, after having googled the company name, there are a few links to fora on which they've been discussed - and it seems they don't have a leg to stand on. Quite amazing really, when you think that this company essentially only survives because some people are effectively tricked into paying a fine!

Here is a previous post that may have some answers.

Cheers for that Belly.

The Real Maroonblood

Anyone have any idea?

Why did you park in the wrong place?

this_is_my_story
Why did you park in the wrong place?

I don't recall stating that I parked 'in the wrong place'.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

Where was this place out of interest? It might be good for us to know to aviod it (or be careful at least). :hang:

Had a few parking tickets in my time. I hate that sinking feeling when you see the ticket on your wind-screen when returning to your car :th_o:

I'd just pay the ticket mate, it will stop all hassle.

southside1874

Never paid these fines. Never contacted the companies to say anything and never heard anything back. I don't think they can get the info from DVLA either. Just rip it up and forget about it.

The Real Maroonblood

Hope this helps.

If you ignored the rules and got a parking ticket take your punishment and stop whinging.

Or was it not your fault.:10900:

there is a great site called http://www.pepipoo.com which deals with these.

The bottom line is: THESE TICKETS ARE NOT ENFORCABLE either in England or Scotland.

The crux is that as only the police, local councils (via traffic wardens, etc) are legally allowed to charge you fines. And this is proved by the comment you made (result in CIVIL legal action).

The whole point is that when you drive into one of these car parks, you are automatically deemed to understand and comply with the (usually badly located) information signs which all have a note at teh bottom saying something like "By parking here you agree to these conditions" - now this means you are dealing with a contract, and its dealt with by contract law. If you overstay your time (or otherwise 'break' the contract) then you are liable to a penalty of some description to compensate for teh 'damage' you have caused. HOWEVER, the fine must be reasonable to the 'crime' commited - ie: how much is the parking space worth to Tesco whilst you overstayed, etc.

The answer to that question is very much not ?70, ?30 or even the silly fines handed out down here of ?200+. Its more in the fiver range.

Oh, and they can request information all they want from the DVLA, but they will tell them to go forth and multiply, unless a criminal act has been committed, under the Data Protection Act, they can't give out your information to anyone who asks for it - otherwise burglers could pinch your car, find your house keys, then call up to ask where you stayed.

HTH

and the other point is, if you ever happen to catch one of these rent-a-wardens ticketing you, ask to see his companys certificate from the SIA (Security Industry Association) which allows them to privately ticket cars. If he/she can't produce it, rip the ticket up in front of them, laugh then drive away.

DVLA don't care about unpaid tickets issued by private companies Tom. The only communication between the issuing company and the DVLA is when, after the discount period has ended, the private company trace the vehicle owner via the DVLA. The DVLA charge for each trace, so in essence, the Govt are selling your contact details to anyone who will pay!

If you ignored the rules and got a parking ticket take your punishment and stop whinging.

Or was it not your fault.:10900:

??

Why pay a fine for something that is not legally enforcable? These 'rules' you talk of also not being legally enforcable. What rubbish 'advice'.

there is a great site called http://www.pepipoo.com which deals with these.

The bottom line is: THESE TICKETS ARE NOT ENFORCABLE either in England or Scotland.

The crux is that as only the police, local councils (via traffic wardens, etc) are legally allowed to charge you fines. And this is proved by the comment you made (result in CIVIL legal action).

The whole point is that when you drive into one of these car parks, you are automatically deemed to understand and comply with the (usually badly located) information signs which all have a note at teh bottom saying something like "By parking here you agree to these conditions" - now this means you are dealing with a contract, and its dealt with by contract law. If you overstay your time (or otherwise 'break' the contract) then you are liable to a penalty of some description to compensate for teh 'damage' you have caused. HOWEVER, the fine must be reasonable to the 'crime' commited - ie: how much is the parking space worth to Tesco whilst you overstayed, etc.

The answer to that question is very much not ?70, ?30 or even the silly fines handed out down here of ?200+. Its more in the fiver range.

Oh, and they can request information all they want from the DVLA, but they will tell them to go forth and multiply, unless a criminal act has been committed, under the Data Protection Act, they can't give out your information to anyone who asks for it - otherwise burglers could pinch your car, find your house keys, then call up to ask where you stayed.

HTH

and the other point is, if you ever happen to catch one of these rent-a-wardens ticketing you, ask to see his companys certificate from the SIA (Security Industry Association) which allows them to privately ticket cars. If he/she can't produce it, rip the ticket up in front of them, laugh then drive away.

As I said in reply to Tom above, the DVLA will and do, sell the registered keepers details to a private company who pay for a trace. The only requisite is that the private company is a member of the British Parking Association.

DVLA don't care about unpaid tickets issued by private companies Tom. The only communication between the issuing company and the DVLA is when, after the discount period has ended, the private company trace the vehicle owner via the DVLA. The DVLA charge for each trace, so in essence, the Govt are selling your contact details to anyone who will pay!

Thats interesting Paul. I'm not 100% sure what their remit is in Scotland (or anywhere by the sounds of it) What do you base your info on? its certainly the opposite of what these companies say whan I've spoken with them, but I agree that whatever they say is going to be self serving and in their interests to try get companies like mine consider using them for developments that have parking issues

Thats interesting Paul. I'm not 100% sure what their remit is in Scotland (or anywhere by the sounds of it) What do you base your info on? its certainly the opposite of what these companies say whan I've spoken with them, but I agree that whatever they say is going to be self serving and in their interests to try get companies like mine consider using them for developments that have parking issues

You've got a PM Tom :2thumbsup:

The Old Tolbooth

It was myself who started the thread a couple of weeks ago about the parking ticket I received at McArthur Glen in Livingston, and so far I've heard nothing from them after completely ignoring their fine. It might be early days yet though but they ain't getting a bean from me.

Thanks for updating my info, didn't realise that the DVLA were hawking our info to these parasites!!

These parking firms have all sorts of tricks to get you to pay up, including, but not limited to, 'official' looking documents, threats of court action, threats of baiiffs (which they can't do without a court order - which they can;t get as its not a legally enforcable ticket), threats of ccjs / credit problems / etc.

But it's all bollocks, they can't actually do any of what they threaten - it's merely a scam that around 95% of people fall for rather than face court (which they wont anyway)

It was myself who started the thread a couple of weeks ago about the parking ticket I received at McArthur Glen in Livingston, and so far I've heard nothing from them after completely ignoring their fine. It might be early days yet though but they ain't getting a bean from me.

Thanks for the info John, I'm talking with these companies right now about a couple of things, will be sure to mention your name and where you parked and tell them you are chasing them for a reminder to pay the fine:th_o:

Thanks for the info John, I'm talking with these companies right now about a couple of things, will be sure to mention your name and where you parked and tell them you are chasing them for a reminder to pay the fine:th_o:

GRASS:10900:

The Old Tolbooth

:laugh:

This could be the end of a beautiful friendship Tom :D

Legally, they cant touch me anyway so there :movethatass:

:laugh:

This could be the end of a beautiful friendship Tom :D

Legally, they cant touch me anyway so there :movethatass:

Legally or otherwise I wouldn't wanna touch you either, no wi' a bum like that :hat2:

this_is_my_story

Cheers for the reply folks.

Trotter, I'd had a look at the pepipoo forum that you've mentioned, it's amazing what you can find out there. And yeah, the DVLA supposedly sell info to these companies, i.e. name & address of the registered keeper, at ?2.50 a shot - it's reckoned to be a tidy wee earner for them. Feckin' crooks!

So, Town and City Parking won't be getting as much as a penny from me. They and their like are preying purely on people's naivety, fear and stupidity. I don't know enough from a legal point of view about the trading regulations for such companies, but the fact that they're issuing unlawful penalties must mean that legally, they're sailing very close to the wind.

Archived