Weddings

IronJambo

after a spectacular proposal at the weekend i'm now looking for a wedding venue. its a toss up between in or around Edinburgh or the lake district and its most likely going to be decided by the best venue we can find.

so have any of you lot been married at, or been to a wedding at any of the following?

Dundas Castle, Dalhousie Castle, Harburn House, Hopetoun House, or Lennoxlove House?

Was at Dundas Castle in July for a mates wedding - lovely surroundings, they had string quartet too which worked really well. Had a really nice big tent for the reception after too with fantastic food.

Been to a wedding at Hopetoun house and it was really good, the place is really well kept but pricey.

I am just married 3 weeks ago and also looked at Dalhouise and Melville Castle as venue's, they are both really nice and would make a great venue ( only went elsewhere due to costs )

Any of the 3 would be a great day but i would opt for Dalhousie. The grounds are perfect for wedding pics etc and plenty rooms for people to stay over.

Congratulations.:smiley2:

I don't have a link ...but the Botanical Gardens have a place for hire which is right in the centre of the gardens (beside the art gallery ) which is beautiful and has fantastic views looking north to the castle. Next time your in town go in and have a look.

Been to one at ?? castle near south queensferry. lovely setting but they ripped the pash at the bar

Congratulations.:smiley2:

I don't have a link ...but the Botanical Gardens have a place for hire which is right in the centre of the gardens (beside the art gallery ) which is beautiful and has fantastic views looking north to the castle. Next time your in town go in and have a look.

Thats a very worthy mention but I looked at it but she quickly dismissed it as we were just at her friends wedding in the glasshouse in sefton park (liverpool) and she doesn't want to look like she's copying them!

alternatively, if anyone knows Kylie Minogue you could tell her its still not too late and get her in touch with me :10900:

blondejamtart
Tut tut such a male chavaunist answer :10900:

I don't know - when I tied the knot, you could get married in church or a registry office (so we chose the church option as the registry office was next door to my house!), but if I was doing it again today, I wouldn't be averse to the idea of a Tynecastle wedding.

I don't know - when I tied the knot, you could get married in church or a registry office (so we chose the church option as the registry office was next door to my house!), but if I was doing it again today, I wouldn't be averse to the idea of a Tynecastle wedding.

its just no happening bjt, it goes against all my romantic credibility

:nah: I have ALWAYS considered this REALLY tacky!! Did you see the Photos of the Fat Hibbee and her Boyfriend getting married at Fester Road!? :hat2:

(Cannae post pictures, 44 years old and a complete Technophobe!!)

Leave it to the Tramps I say!! :2thumbsup:

To anyone who got married at Tynecastle, Pictures on the pitch etc...Sorry!!

Not for the above quote...I'm Just really Sorry!! :10900:

blondejamtart
its just no happening bjt, it goes against all my romantic credibility

Fair enough - in that case, I'd suggest Dalhousie, Melville or Borthwick Castles.

I wouldn't go for Dalhousie castle.My mate got married there and they were very dissapointed with it.Beautiful place but they complained the personal touch wasn't there.There was another wedding on the same day and they felt it wasn't the special day it should be.

Also not the first time i've heard this.

Melville castle looks the part.We looked there but it was too pricey.

Borthwick castle is ok but tiny.I done a disco there and there was only around 40 people there and it felt cramped.

Also done a disco in Oxenford castle just up from Dalkeith which was a nice place.

blondejamtart

Interesting - it's certainly been a few years since I knew anyone who'd married at Dalhousie, so didn't know what it was like these days. There's also Oxenfoord Castle near Pathhead - it's now used for functions such as weddings.

Fair enough - in that case, I'd suggest Dalhousie, Melville or Borthwick Castles.

dalhousie already on the radar, the latter two are a good shout :2thumbsup:

mansfield traquair has come up as a wild card. anyone been there?

Interesting - it's certainly been a few years since I knew anyone who'd married at Dalhousie, so didn't know what it was like these days. There's also Oxenfoord Castle near Pathhead - it's now used for functions such as weddings.

I was at a wedding at Oxenford about 10 years ago.Really nice place.

Personally i would take Melville over the rest but it is very pricey.They have a wedding open day there at the end of November.

after a spectacular proposal at the weekend i'm now looking for a wedding venue. its a toss up between in or around Edinburgh or the lake district and its most likely going to be decided by the best venue we can find.

so have any of you lot been married at, or been to a wedding at any of the following?

Dundas Castle, Dalhousie Castle, Harburn House, Hopetoun House, or Lennoxlove House?

Craig Gordon got Married there in June!! :2thumbsup:

Obviously that's your mind now made up...No need to thank me! :10900:

I was at a wedding at Oxenford about 10 years ago.Really nice place.

Personally i would take Melville over the rest but it is very pricey.They have a wedding open day there at the end of November.

probably won't make it back to the area until january and i can do a round robin of venues based on price and numbers

i've had a peek but its hard work! most of them are a bit easier to navigate. melville castle website is currently down :57:

Melville Castle is a lovely venue...at least it was in 1984. :smiley2:

My brother look at Mansfield Traquair for next July. They wanted full payment up front with no refund for cancelling ! :th_o:

He settled on the Glasshouse next to the Omni (ceremony,etc in the roof garden - weather permitting)

http://www.theetoncollection.com/pdfs/Glasshouse_Wedding_Pack_2009.pdf

looks really good, don't think its big enough though.

had to laugh at this part: "You will receive a Nora Jones or Barry White CD........"

My brother look at Mansfield Traquair for next July. They wanted full payment up front with no refund for cancelling ! :th_o:

He settled on the Glasshouse next to the Omni (ceremony,etc in the roof garden - weather permitting)

[url]http://www.theetoncollection.com/pdfs/Glasshouse_Wedding_Pack_2009.pdf[/url]

It's a lovely venue there, although take plenty cash the drink is dear even though theres not a lot of choices of beers as its a mini bar they use:smiley2:

[/b]

It's a lovely venue there, although take plenty cash the drink is dear even though theres not a lot of choices of beers as its a mini bar they use:smiley2:

Thanks for the warning ! Have started saving already :smiley2:

looks really good, don't think its big enough though.

had to laugh at this part: "You will receive a Nora Jones or Barry White CD........"

The room they have use at the Glasshouse on the rooftop will be lucky if it holds 80 to 100 people and the dance floor is tiny

What about Prestonfield House Hotel?

I'd second that. My brother got married there in June this year and it was a fantastic venue.

I've been to a function at the Mansfield Traquair before and again it is a great venue. I priced it for my wedding a couple of years back and it was extrortionate - you had to pay for everything individually and the price soon racked up.

I got married just after Christmas almost 2 years ago at the George Hotel and I can definitely recommend that. Especially if you aren't getting married in the summer.

JinA, I'm getting married next year and we are having the whole thing at Riccarton Campus. Might not sound up to much but lovely gardens (if the weather is nice) and the function rooms are huge and very modern and the sound system from your band/disco looks to be top notch.

cheers for all the feedback and ideas guys.

my heads really pickled now! i'm away out to the pub to eat and watch the game

Mansion House, Edinburgh Zoo.

Well mine went well there anyway.

My brother got married there. Only thing they got married outside, couldnt here the registrar for the apes. made us all laugh tho..:10900:

The Number 10

Have been to weddings recently at Dalmahoy (they have a church on site) Norton House & Dalmahoy, its pretty much standard for hefty bar prices wherever you go.

If is a registry office you are looking for I recommend the South Queensferry one, lovely room and the views are fantastic.

Have been to weddings recently at Dalmahoy (they have a church on site) Norton House & Dalmahoy, its pretty much standard for hefty bar prices wherever you go.

If is a registry office you are looking for I recommend the South Queensferry one, lovely room and the views are fantastic.

John and I are getting married there next year, then the Gorgie Suite for the reception:smiley2:

Mansion House, Edinburgh Zoo.

Well mine went well there anyway.

i'd love that. especially if i could get penguins involved

Im getting married at The Balmoral in 5 weeks, the service has been amazing and the suites are cracking with great views.

Was at a wedding 2 years ago on Inchcolme Island in the Forth. Got the Maid of the Forth ferry over to the Island (under the rail bridge) and then in a small chapel on the Island. Really nice setting and a grand day out.

The reception was at Orocco Pier in South Queensferry, again a cracking location and a good size venue.

Good luck.....

I have a wedding venue, photographer, piper, dresses everything booked if you want to step up to the plate.

Just broke up with my fiance 3 months before the wedding :57:

I have a wedding venue, photographer, piper, dresses everything booked if you want to step up to the plate.

Just broke up with my fiance 3 months before the wedding :57:

harsh!

stick it on ebay and try and sell your ex with it.

Archived