Why were Edinburgh buses maroon & white?

Craigieboy

Gavsy Van Gaverson
The number 22 buses are pink now:hang:

Not all of them are. It is only the buses with the additional buggy spaces that are pink.

:smiley2:

if you were to choose any 2 colours for anything sanity insists they would be Maroon and White

There are still a lot of flashes of maroon actually.

But not enough as there used to be. Now they have that horrible corporate gold diamonds.

I always thought it was because Hearts are the big team.

And we know what happened to the old GREEN smt buses.

Gone.

Doug.

SMT i remember them they were Eastern Scottish before then.First bought them over ages ago.

Was it just because it was the corporation colours? For a project. Thanks

No evidence to prove anything, but this is what I was brought up (by a non-football family) to believe is the true reason....

Edinburgh City's colours are actually black and white, but the original horse drawn trams were not painted in a standard livery, just whatever the different manufacturers had handy. These trams did not run frequently enough, at the right times, to cope with the demand when Hearts were at home, so a deal was done. The Club paid the City Council something towards the costs of running the extra trams, almost like a "football special".

To make them easily recognisable, these trams began to be repainted in the colours of the famous Edinburgh Heart of Midlothian. Over a period of time these colours became the standard livery for the Councils trams, then their buses.

The other connection is that the Chairman of Lothian Transport is Pilmar Smith, a fanatical Jambo and true gentleman, who was Vice-Chairman of Hearts under Wallace Mercer's reign.

Was it just because it was the corporation colours? For a project. Thanks

You do an awful lot of projects :smiley2:

CavySlaveJambo
And the madder and white have gone too now. First they steal the buses, then the brewery smell, I want my city back :43:

Still got the brewery smell somedays in Gorgie

The green SMT buses were boakin'.

I used to have to get on them to go to Livingston (number 27), and they always had a thick cloud of cigarette smoke.

Yet bizzarely, the front two seasts down stairs had 'no smoking' sign; as if that's going to make any difference!

Even when I got to Livingston, the bus pulled into the most depressing bus station ever made.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I watched a copy of Restless Natives someone gave me the other night.

The maroon buses almost brought a tear to my eye!

On a good day you might still be able to see the old style buses. The 21 sometimes churns out a beauty.

The green SMT buses were boakin'.

I used to have to get on them to go to Livingston (number 27), and they always had a thick cloud of cigarette smoke.

Yet bizzarely, the front two seasts down stairs had 'no smoking' sign; as if that's going to make any difference!

Even when I got to Livingston, the bus pulled into the most depressing bus station ever made.

Are there any decent bus station's? Most are horrible places. Livingston's was scary though.

The 281 preceded the 27. This bus would take nearly 2 hours to get from Deans-Edinburgh (about an hour going round Livingston first!). Standing joke with me and my mate was if anything took a long time it was like being on the 281.

One thing I remember about the LRT buses were the maroon leather seats. You would end up sliding off them when you were wee especially if you were wearing nylon trackie bottoms!

remember the wee City Sprinters? Where they not run by LRT and I'm sure they were green. Or maybe I've just dreamt all this

remember the wee City Sprinters? Where they not run by LRT and I'm sure they were green. Or maybe I've just dreamt all this

Yep. They were green and cream coloured therefore I'm sure were Eastern Scottish/SMT/First (what ever they were called at the time!).

Yep. They were green and cream coloured therefore I'm sure were Eastern Scottish/SMT/First (what ever they were called at the time!).

I'm sure that a ''C5 Sprinter" (as the buses were called) can be seen on the Neil Pointon 1998 video somewhere near to the old Telecoms Club/Seniors Bar on Gorgie Road.

The same company tried to muscle into LRT's market in the 80s. I rememebr getting a bus home from Tynecastle High Annexe in 1985 that drove up Stenhouse Street West which in turn spark outrage from 'the mothers', who blocked the road.

What was weird about that was that my mum was one of the protesters, even though I was on the bus!

They were Eastern Scottish

I'm sure that a ''C5 Sprinter" (as the buses were called) can be seen on the Neil Pointon 1998 video somewhere near to the old Telecoms Club/Seniors Bar on Gorgie Road.

The same company tried to muscle into LRT's market in the 80s. I rememebr getting a bus home from Tynecastle High Annexe in 1985 that drove up Stenhouse Street West which in turn spark outrage from 'the mothers', who blocked the road.

What was weird about that was that my mum was one of the protesters, even though I was on the bus!

Makes perfect sense to me. :smiley2:

Prince Buaben
The wheels kept coming off the green and white ones around christmas time.

:10900::10900:

Still got the brewery smell somedays in Gorgie

They're getting rid of it mate :43: There'a a thread on here about it too.

The C5 Sprinter can actually be seen on Stenhouse Road passing by Saughton Prison early on in this video.

On the other side of the road are two buses. One is a proper maroon LRT number 34 bus.

The other is the victorious Hearts team bringing the Scottish Cup back from Glasgow having pumped the Huns!

So suck on that, Hobos.

Anyone remember the excursion. Hearts buses to away games run by, I think, Eastern Scottish. Use to leave St Andrews Square. Went a few times in the early/mid 70's and it was mental.

Archived