No To Haymarket Hotel

Deek

Quite right as well.

Murphy_VIEW_2B_ready.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8328752.stm

lans for a 17-storey luxury hotel in Edinburgh have been rejected by Scottish ministers.

Councillors approved plans for the ?250m futuristic building next to Haymarket railway station in June 2008.

But the Scottish government reporter said it would affect views of the castle and be out of keeping with the city's world heritage status.

Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce said the decision was "an enormous setback" and the council voiced its disappointment.

The Tiger Developments proposal for the leaf-shaped hotel on a site previously considered for the Scottish Parliament building was rejected after a public inquiry.

Quite right as well.

Murphy_VIEW_2B_ready.jpg

lans for a 17-storey luxury hotel in Edinburgh have been rejected by Scottish ministers.

Councillors approved plans for the ?250m futuristic building next to Haymarket railway station in June 2008.

But the Scottish government reporter said it would affect views of the castle and be out of keeping with the city's world heritage status.

Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce said the decision was "an enormous setback" and the council voiced its disappointment.

The Tiger Developments proposal for the leaf-shaped hotel on a site previously considered for the Scottish Parliament building was rejected after a public inquiry.

Yeah , right. I think it looks mighty fine and is no worse than the monstrosities thta have sprung up in Lothian Rd and surrounds over the years.

Quite right as well.

Murphy_VIEW_2B_ready.jpg

it looks like it would be a worthy development but i agree with it getting knocked back on the above point.

no new structure in london is allowed to obscure a boroughs view of st pauls, and i think its right that Edinburgh Castle should be treated the same

ArmiyaRomanova

It never ceases to amaze me that stuff like this is suggested for central Edinburgh.

What part of 'World Heritage Site' do architects, planners, ECC etc... consistently fail to understand?

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad looking building, and I like modern architecture - but central Edinburgh simply isn't the place to plonk buildings that are entirely unsympathetic towards their surroundings.

That said, this particular building was probably never conceived with Edinburgh in mind as a home for it.

Archived