More financial meltdown - this time the Premiership

Geoff Kilpatrick

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

It's a sad state of affairs when a club's existence is threatened because they owe ?3m to agents! It won't be long until the entire sport, outside of the Barcas and Man Utds, are brought crashing back to earth. The bubble's about to burst and we might see some genuine competition for the first time in 20 years.

Charlie-Brown

Hearts had a transfer ban imposed on them in the early 1980's which was highly embarrassing for the club in terms of negative headlines at the time but it proved to be one of the best things that happened to us in several decades as being forced to rely on internal development it allowed the development of several young players to flourish whilst having a relatively fixed team & squad and having to go with what we had created a solidarity not only in the team/squad that they fought for each other but it also helped create unity between the team & supporters as we had a bunker mentality of us against them ie everybody else.

Portsmouth transfer ban

No great shock that Pompey have difficulties, but a transfer ban is quite something.

Hull's auditors have also questioned the continued viability of their club. On Pompey: a bit like us after 1998, they're paying a heavy price for winning the Cup. Wages there were beyond belief for years: Redknapp is successful at most clubs he manages, but leaves them high, dry and ****ed in the longer term. And as they're only Portsmouth, they're really not that good a proposition for a good owner, so end up with charlatans and cowboys instead.

If I were a Portsmouth fan though, I'd regard it all as having been worth it: as long as they ultimately survive, as almost all clubs do. Because it doesn't get any better than winning the FA Cup for the vast majority of English clubs.

Incidentally, what is this 'Premiership' you refer to? The Premier League's not been called the Premiership for years now!

Geoff Kilpatrick
Hull's auditors have also questioned the continued viability of their club. On Pompey: a bit like us after 1998, they're paying a heavy price for winning the Cup. Wages there were beyond belief for years: Redknapp is successful at most clubs he manages, but leaves them high, dry and ****ed in the longer term. And as they're only Portsmouth, they're really not that good a proposition for a good owner, so end up with charlatans and cowboys instead.

If I were a Portsmouth fan though, I'd regard it all as having been worth it: as long as they ultimately survive, as almost all clubs do. Because it doesn't get any better than winning the FA Cup for the vast majority of English clubs.

Incidentally, what is this 'Premiership' you refer to? The Premier League's not been called the Premiership for years now!

:laugh: I refuse to use the EPL epithet that they use to market themselves worldwide.

Hearts had a transfer ban imposed on them in the early 1980's which was highly embarrassing for the club in terms of negative headlines at the time but it proved to be one of the best things that happened to us in several decades as being forced to rely on internal development it allowed the development of several young players to flourish whilst having a relatively fixed team & squad and having to go with what we had created a solidarity not only in the team/squad that they fought for each other but it also helped create unity between the team & supporters as we had a bunker mentality of us against them ie everybody else.

Hearts were very lucky that John Robertson, Dave Bowman and Gary Mackay came through at the same time otherwise we would have been a yo-yo club again!

Captain_Peacock
Hull's auditors have also questioned the continued viability of their club.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/oct/28/hull-city-accounts-losses

Hull City warned by accountants of struggle to remain a going concern

? Hull require ?16m surplus to meet current liabilities

? Players sales recommended as way to raise funds

Tricky choice for Hull at the minute, just a point from saftey,the temptation would be to gamble improve the squad and stay in the EPL.

Seems the bean counters are telling them to do the opposite, will be interesting to see who wins the day.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/oct/28/hull-city-accounts-losses

Hull City warned by accountants of struggle to remain a going concern

? Hull require ?16m surplus to meet current liabilities

? Players sales recommended as way to raise funds

Tricky choice for Hull at the minute, just a point from saftey,the temptation would be to gamble improve the squad and stay in the EPL.

Seems the bean counters are telling them to do the opposite, will be interesting to see who wins the day.

I think they'd be nuts to gamble: the position they're in, it'd be ruinous. I've commented before that many clubs actually seem to lose more and more money the more successful they are - Hull aren't good enough to stay up, and would be far better advised to go down, take the parachute payments and re-organise themselves I'd say.

Archived