why does the bundesliga work so well?

elvoys

most compettive league and watchable in europe. can't predict the winner. absence of obscenely rich foreign owners treating them as play things obvious bonus but must be something culturally or way league is organised where even the struggling sides have full houses of 30 plus thousand. oh, and being most populous country in euro helps!

most compettive league and watchable in europe. can't predict the winner. absence of obscenely rich foreign owners treating them as play things obvious bonus but must be something culturally or way league is organised where even the struggling sides have full houses of 30 plus thousand. oh, and being most populous country in euro helps!

There you go.

I would bet that we have, percentage wise,more people going to watch games than in Germany.

They do have a far better run FA TBH though.

Captain America

Bundesliga is my favourite league in Europe.

I think the german league has some sort of rule banning big money owners, im sure one of the chairman said as much in an interview when they played an English team in champs league last year, for life of me can't remember who it was though.

ToadKiller Dog

There are problems in the Bundesliga also for example Schalke have money problems and are likely to have to sell a few of there stars in the new year but thankfully they have a very good manager and youth set up to hopefully counter that .

The Bundesliga is to discuss wage level caps for players some time soon ,i also think they have strict ownership rules compaired with other leagues .

I also think big germany businesses see the importance of football to the comunites where they operate and help invest in teams companies such as Bayer etc .

It also seems to me the community image and links are still very strong there ,where as we have the pull of the ignorant folk toward the old firm .

There you go.

I would bet that we have, percentage wise,more people going to watch games than in Germany.

They do have a far better run FA TBH though.

We do, per head of population we have the highest number of people who watch live football.

Classic German efficiency is all you need to say.

They have 11 teams that boast average crowds of over 40,000; including Dortmund who pull in well over 70,000 punters.

P.S you only need an average of 17,000 to make that wiki list.

We do, per head of population we have the highest number of people who watch live football.

Classic German efficiency is all you need to say.

Just think what it would be if the football on show was actually worth watching.

The Old Tolbooth

You can keep your EPL and Italian leagues, the Bundesliga is by far the most entertaining league for me due to everyone beating everyone else on a regular basis, and the crowds are just fantastic!

Every time a goal is scored the guy on the tannoy system is just brilliant, I love the look of Schalke and always had a soft spot for them after we played them 3 years ago.

I went to watch Cologne play Mainz a couple of weekends ago, the game itself wasn't the best with Koeln winning 1-0 and Kevin McKenna came on as a sub for Podolski to play out a 1-0 victory. Spoke to a couple of fans about Moose, he is looking to move down a league to the 2nd Bundesliga as he wants 1st team football more frequently.

Although the game wasn't the best, the match day experience was fantastic, all grounds seem to have singing sections, some singing sections are terraced and are more or less generating a noise for the whole game, even if the game itself ain't the best. Tickets cost 22 euro. The ticket could also be used as a travel card, so if you live within 3 hours of Cologne, you don't need to bother buying a train or bus ticket to get to the ground as it's included in the cost of the ticket.

ToadKiller Dog

Every time a goal is scored the guy on the tannoy system is just brilliant, I love the look of Schalke and always had a soft spot for them after we played them 3 years ago.

Thanks to a couple of german friends of mine,that i was visiting who are big fans of Hearts and Schalke supporters they got me a ticket for the Schalke end in the big Ruhr derby vrs dortmund last month ,was amazing experience 80,000 plus the nearest i will likely get to what the old hampden must have been like .

even the wee derby in the cup away Vrs Bochum was class.

tried Currywurst for the first time wouldnt mind that instead of a halftime pie

Also got to the earlier game at the Aachen vrs 1860 Munich very yellow stadium but still 25,000 at a 2nd division game still a great atmosphere.

I went to watch Cologne play Mainz a couple of weekends ago, the game itself wasn't the best with Koeln winning 1-0 and Kevin McKenna came on as a sub for Podolski to play out a 1-0 victory. Spoke to a couple of fans about Moose, he is looking to move down a league to the 2nd Bundesliga as he wants 1st team football more frequently.

Although the game wasn't the best, the match day experience was fantastic, all grounds seem to have singing sections, some singing sections are terraced and are more or less generating a noise for the whole game, even if the game itself ain't the best. Tickets cost 22 euro. The ticket could also be used as a travel card, so if you live within 3 hours of Cologne, you don't need to bother buying a train or bus ticket to get to the ground as it's included in the cost of the ticket.

A fantastic idea and typical of a FA and Government pulling in the same direction. A great incentive to follow your local team. We really do lag behind in almost every aspect football-wise, well apart from bigotry.

jamboinglasgow

Last month FourFourTwo had a good article called "the Bluffers guide to the bundesliga."

It starts with the simple line "Germans deeply distrust money." That to me is it in a nutshell, the league only turned pro post 1962 and only then with salary caps and caps on transfers. The 1954 German world cup winning team was made up of semi-pros from regional teams. So I think it is more about community and fans then other leagues.

British football on the otherhand, has always been money. Since the early days of footy when teams drew large crowds and decided to charge then pay the players (a shocking thing back in the 1800s for Gentlemen.) They decided to "buy" players who were a bigger draw. There has been community, certainly in the creation of the clubs.

No way can say the footballs entertaining!

The Old Tolbooth
Thanks to a couple of german friends of mine,that i was visiting who are big fans of Hearts and Schalke supporters they got me a ticket for the Schalke end in the big Ruhr derby vrs dortmund last month ,was amazing experience 80,000 plus the nearest i will likely get to what the old hampden must have been like .

Also got to the earlier game at the Aachen vrs 1860 Munich very yellow stadium but still 25,000 at a 2nd division game still a great atmosphere.

Reading that makes me jealous that I'm not German and instead stuck with the pishy SPL :10900:

Jam Tarts 1874

German players just seem to grow up with a better attitude and a deeper understanding of how to play the game. The same can be said for many of Europe's other sucessful nations.

We get everything wrong from primary school onwards. We still send our 9 years olds to go out and play 11 a-sides on full size bogs of pitches in the middle of January. We still only appear to appreciate the wee man on the wing or the defender who nearly breaks another kid's legs. Our kids are not introduced to tactics or any of the important practical skills until they are already too old to learn properly. We will never have a good league until we learn from how the Dutch or the Germans teach their kids how to play.

heartgarfunkel

Sounds a brilliant trip mate, great football, amazing beer, hospitable people, Germany is quite the place for a holiday.

You've got me salivating!!!

My all time favourite "supper"!!!

Currywurst mit frites - zwei, bitte!!!

ToadKiller Dog
You've got me salivating!!!

My all time favourite "supper"!!!

Currywurst mit frites - zwei, bitte!!!

Though i am not a fan of putting mayonnaise on chips ,

the trip to germany has got me in the mood for visiting more football from differing nations ,thinking France maybe in the new year maybe PSG or Lille and try and fit in a trip to Contelmasion . Also if i was not to bad a visitor my mates might let me back again for future Schalke games' .

Though i am not a fan of putting mayonnaise on chips ,

the trip to germany has got me in the mood for visiting more football from differing nations ,thinking France maybe in the new year maybe PSG or Lille and try and fit in a trip to Contelmasion . Also if i was not to bad a visitor my mates might let me back again for future Schalke games' .

And you brought me a present back!! :2thumbsup::2thumbsup:

The game is miles ahead of the British gaming experience. I like the way one of the German satellite channels cover the games. They will start showing a specific game live, but if that game gets boring they change games. If a goal scored in another game, they show replays of the goals. Nice way to spend an afternoon in a bar, drinking beer, eating currywurst and watching the football live.

Archived