Is this wrong...?

Meadows

Right or Wrong..?.At Saturdays Scottish Cup 2nd round tie between Civil Service Strollers and Berwick Rangers, Strollers were winning One-Nil,5 minutes to half time and a BR director is at the dug out trying to get the managers attention. after being ignored by manager (Jimmy Crease) he gets the kit man to tell him, "Offer the players a ?100 bonus per man to win the tie,make sure they are told in dressing room at half time".

Needless to say Berwick won 2-1 due to a decent sub coming on and changing the game...BUT...

Over to JKB..

not in the slightest. nothign wrong with that.

Surely if losing 1-0 in an important cup tie is'nt incentive enough,then questions should be asked why it takes extra cash to get motivated....

Surely if losing 1-0 in an important cup tie is'nt incentive enough,then questions should be asked why it takes extra cash to get motivated....

who is to say they wouldn't have won anyway? the money didnt hurt, they won the game, picked up ton each and barring a pish draw in the next round the cup the club will do well out of it.

fair point... one i used when playing devil's advocate,the other two points i made were that Bonuses etc,SHOULD be pre arranged (whats to stop the players trying the same again?) and i felt for the CSS players,they dont have a director with a couple of grand to throw about (not that they could have raised their game any higher) But equal playing fields when the game starts should be in the rules.

meadows, I am sure things such as bonuses are supposed to be agreed before hand in some instanses i.e. I remember Chelski getting into bother when some of their bonuses got changed but don't think it goes down to SC level

fair point... one i used when playing devil's advocate,the other two points i made were that Bonuses etc,SHOULD be pre arranged (whats to stop the players trying the same again?) and i felt for the CSS players,they dont have a director with a couple of grand to throw about (not that they could have raised their game any higher) But equal playing fields when the game starts should be in the rules.

aye, sorry if i came across aggressive/forthright. its ****ty that teams can flash the cash, but there's not much that can stop it.

meadows, I am sure things such as bonuses are supposed to be agreed before hand in some instanses i.e. I remember Chelski getting into bother when some of their bonuses got changed but don't think it goes down to SC level

What the above said really. It is match fixing at lower levels. Harsh but true and I do know what I'm talking about. Up for a debate? yes I always am :10900:

What the above said really. It is match fixing at lower levels. Harsh but true and I do know what I'm talking about. Up for a debate? yes I always am :10900:

Myself and my ten year old son had to make a decision on which game to attend (Hearts or Strollers) He chose cup game as relative plays for berwick and my mates play for strollers.

First half,Strollers played very well but had played their normal left back at left mid..Berwick exposed the LB a few times in first half,and with a sharp player coming on as sub,exploited same area for 1-1, got a similiar 2nd soon after,Strollers missed a great chance for 2-2 with a sloppy header missing the target. I felt it wrong that money overshadowed the result.

Two other points.... Refs are crap at this level as well ! And my wee laddie chose the right game !!

Myself and my ten year old son had to make a decision on which game to attend (Hearts or Strollers) He chose cup game as relative plays for berwick and my mates play for strollers.

First half,Strollers played very well but had played their normal left back at left mid..Berwick exposed the LB a few times in first half,and with a sharp player coming on as sub,exploited same area for 1-1, got a similiar 2nd soon after,Strollers missed a great chance for 2-2 with a sloppy header missing the target. I felt it wrong that money overshadowed the result.

Two other points.... Refs are crap at this level as well ! And my wee laddie chose the right game !!

any more? money? really what are you on about?

Yo Yo the Parrot
And my wee laddie chose the right game !!

No he didn't

The game at Tynie was a cracker best 0-0 I have ever seen :10900:

Two great teams that could not be seperated and a fantastic ref that has taken my advice and feckked off to Australia :2thumbsup:

Clearly it's not match fixing. The players shouldn't need any extra incentive but if their own chairman wants to offer them extra at half time to win the game then so be it, it's up to them.

Obviously it would be different if money was offered to the opposition/match officials or if money was bet on a certain outcome but there's nothing wrong with giving your OWN TEAM a bit of added incentive.

Given that this appears to be a football-related discussion, may I be the first to say...

TERRACE!!!

:laugh:

ps - I don't think it was wrong.

Miller Jambo 60
who is to say they wouldn't have won anyway? the money didnt hurt, they won the game, picked up ton each and barring a pish draw in the next round the cup the club will do well out of it.

Wage thiefs:43:, where have i heard that before.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

There's technically nowt wrong with it, just a bit disappointing that the director felt he had to offer the players a bonus to get them to get their fingers out.

Callum - This could be worth a try in the Kickback teams quarter final if we are 1-0 down at half time ????

Thank god we are in the semi's...Mind you if we are a goal down,it would be a mistake by a central defender:qqb006:

Thank god we are in the semi's...Mind you if we are a goal down,it would be a mistake by a central defender:qqb006:

Will be having words with Gareth then !!!

Archived