The recession and you

CraigSN1

The words on the mouths of most folk just now is of the economy and the current recession. I thought i would start a thread finding out how this has effected different posters in and around Edinburgh or indeed the uk.

For me personally I have been made redundant. Its not the worst thing in the world for me as I am only 20 years old. I am thinking of going to College then uni. Now that I have had a taste of working life and a mundane 9-5 job I feel i owe it to myself to aim higher and try and achieve more. Although I am at a bit of a loss on where to start!

Financially it has been a blow of course. Moved back in with the Parents as can no longer afford the rent, blown my savings on living costs. Driving lessons on hold, virtually no social life left as cannot afford to go out. Lost the deposit on my holiday to Florida.

So I suppose it could have been a lot worse for me, but it is still a life changing experience. For the worse at the moment - but perhaps I will thank those greedy bankers in the long term if i achieve my goals.

graduated with a degree in history a few months back and, as we all know, the first people to be hit by an economic downturn are the historians.

I was working at a museum throughout the last year of my degree so its not affected me too much, although the inevitable squeeze on public spending has lessened my possibilities for advancement.

graduated with a degree in history a few months back and, as we all know, the first people to be hit by an economic downturn are the historians.

I was working at a museum throughout the last year of my degree so its not affected me too much, although the inevitable squeeze on public spending has lessened my possibilities for advancement.

Hoping to be made redundant, as all these tossers that have been released from the private sector are turning up in the NHS etc in senior posts(mates on the board) and are about to screw that up too.

Oops, sorry. :th_o:

In hindsight i probably should have added that considering the amount of supporters we have living in other countries!

I'm just about to suggest that I and others go on shorter working week to my employer. If something isn’t done then I won't have an employer past Christmas

3 weeks out of work and cant see working again this year . Hope it gets better next year by not working having to cut back on spending .its only going to get worse before it gets better .

We are not coming out of recession..it's a media myth. Nice dream though. Someone said to me last week this office is so depressing you must have the worst job in the world! Replied I am grateful for having one really right now and many are grateful for my help these days.

Mortgage has never changed, but my place has more work than you can shake a stick at, OT monday to thursday and saturday and sunday so no complaints from me, just one of the lucky ones.

Mortgage hasn't changed yet as I'm in my fixed period until April next year. I'm hoping that interest rates will still be quite low by then.

I'm more concsious of my level of high unsecured personal debt than I was last year. Nothing has changed, I'm still gradually paying it off, but I guess I'm just less comfortable with it now than I was before. When my mortgage fixed term ends, I need to decide whether to use any cash that's freed up to speed this up, or whether I should be pouring said free cash into the mortgage.

I'm doing a University degree part time, but I think I'll be putting my studies on hold when my ongoing module finishes. It costs about ?2,000 to ?3,000 per year, being realistic I can't afford it.

I left Scottish Widows and moved to AEGON to in January. I was concerned about job security at Widows given the Lloyds/HBOS merger. I have slightly less in my monthly pay packet now, but rumours are that Widows will be sold by Lloyds, Resolution are sniffing around. Coupled with the fact AEGON is an altogether far better place to work, I've landed on my feet there.

The biggest thing for me is my flat. I'd planned selling it in summer 2010. I don't think I'll be doing that now.

If I am brutally honest the recession has not affected me one iota. I am still doing the same job as I was pre recession and I am still able to do all the things I did then now.

John

Doctor FinnBarr

Made redundant last year but took on a lesser paid job which I actually seem to like doing apart from having to work most Saturdays.

:smiley2:

So far so good for me, saving fortunes on mortgage payments.

likewise. few friends have been laid off. one is now working freelance in PR and making more cash now than when working for someone else so she is well chuffed. my other mate has been outta work for about 3 months now as he is a QS and there is next to F all out there.

I work offshore and the price of petrol is sky high the now so havn't been hit with the credit cunch.:10900:

Yeah, I guess you won't drive much...

Yeah, I guess you won't drive much...

I don't have to commute everyday so yeah your right...I probably don't drive as much as others :10900:

heartgarfunkel

Got smashed by the recession 92-93 so set myself a long-term goal to get a professional qualification in a pretty safe sector. Will be paying off student loans and unsecured personal debt incurred in my journey for a wee while yet, but assured by the relative security of my job.

Total empathy with all those having a hard time, **** the bankers and their government

Was debt free to start with so hasn't really hit me in the slightest, if I'm still in my current job come april I might see a lesser cost of living increase!

However I have provisonally been offered a new job out in Saudi Arabia which would see me making 3 or 4 times my current salary!

When my mother died, my dad gave me ?10,000 from the life insurance pay out to put into a savings company and hopefully use it as a house deposit. Within 6 months it had risen to ?14,500, however a year after that it had crashed to 7,000 and that's where it's currently sitting. Other than that I've not really been affected as I just finished studying at Uni and have managed to land a graduate job, so all I can hope is that I get kept on for the full 3 year contract.

jamboinglasgow

tell me about it. I graduated in July from Glasgow Uni with a history degree. Haven't found a job yet (though hopefully this may change this week.) Have been struggling to find a job and have been on the dole for 3 weeks (could of been much longer but I dont like the idea of living of the state.)

Everything I have applied for has had so many other applicants. Went to the first assement for air traffic control, and for the third intake of the year there must of been 30-40 days of 1st assesments, mine was the second of the day and in that was about 30 applicants most who looked like they had uni degrees (for something that doesn't need a degree.)

Everything I have applied for has had so many other applicants. Went to the first assement for air traffic control, and for the third intake of the year there must of been 30-40 days of 1st assesments, mine was the second of the day and in that was about 30 applicants most who looked like they had uni degrees (for something that doesn't need a degree.)

At my museum a visitor assisstant's - bottom rung of the ladder - job came up. we had out of work lecturers applying for the post. my dreams of a curator's position seem two or three times beyond the horizon at the minute given that.

on a side note; i saw your man Airlie on Byers Rd a few weeks ago. pished as a fart. legend.

jamboinglasgow
At my museum a visitor assisstant's - bottom rung of the ladder - job came up. we had out of work lecturers applying for the post. my dreams of a curator's position seem two or three times beyond the horizon at the minute given that.

on a side note; i saw your man Airlie on Byers Rd a few weeks ago. pished as a fart. legend.

thought it might of been of you. That was a good night, probably the drunkest I have been in a long time but best time to do it. Loved the Hearts kilt.

Sydney Devine

Not affected as such but back in April had to re-apply for my job as the team I work for reduced from 32 to 16. Luckily, I was successful and kept my job, but now need to cover more of the UK due to the reduction in headcount, so spend most of my time driving!

SD

Archived