Penny Black

Logic1874

Mates girl just took over Penny Black she a Aussie lady and A1 girl

trying to make it into decent drinking hole - told her we enjoyed it as it was when we went there on numerous occasions mostly on way to Dublin weekends - wants us to go see changes - can i please use fellow kickbackers to enlighten me before we go - Ricky is her name - please be gentle with her :2thumbsup:

I used to love the Penny Black when I lived in the burgh. Had many great messy early Saturday morning sessions in the place. Will pop in next time I am in Edinburger for a sneaky wee peek - i take it that the opening hours are still the same?

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
Mates girl just took over Penny Black she a Aussie lady and A1 girl

trying to make it into decent drinking hole - told her we enjoyed it as it was when we went there on numerous occasions mostly on way to Dublin weekends - wants us to go see changes - can i please use fellow kickbackers to enlighten me before we go - Ricky is her name - please be gentle with her :2thumbsup:

you stop off at an Edinburgh pub on the way to dublin?

Miller Jambo 60

Thought this was going to be a stamp collectors thread.

Always remember it as a pretty desperate wee hole. Only went there if you were really choking on an early pint. Was always full of pished posties.

Absolute Toilet of a boozer. Generally full of pished backpackers from the flea ridden hostel round the corner & pished jakies who then cause bother in pubs round about when they get refused service.

How this place is still trading is beyond me, especially with the new licensing laws.

Maybe the Licensing Standard Officers don't start work til later, they'll have been out late the previous pulling up publicans who try to run their places properly.

Whoever owns/runs this place is not fullfiling their obligations as a licensee.

Rant Over.

Era Macaroons
Absolute Toilet of a boozer. Generally full of pished backpackers from the flea ridden hostel round the corner & pished jakies who then cause bother in pubs round about when they get refused service.

How this place is still trading is beyond me, especially with the new licensing laws.

Maybe the Licensing Standard Officers don't start work til later, they'll have been out late the previous pulling up publicans who try to run their places properly.

Whoever owns/runs this place is not fullfiling their obligations as a licensee.

Rant Over.

Im with you ..will be striking outside it the morn...down with the penny black

Yes Bomber we did - 4 of us got lift through with mate who works in town, went early doors took him in for few before he went to work - shocking getting mate half cut then letting him go of to work - then we go of to Dublin on a jolly :10900:

Went Dublin on Urquahart tour bus from Edinburgh bus station that year

few drinks in pub - few drinks on bus - few drinks when we stopped for food [no time for food ] - few drinks on ferry - and more drink on way to Dublin

yeah had good time:2thumbsup:

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
Yes Bomber we did - 4 of us got lift through with mate who works in town, went early doors took him in for few before he went to work - shocking getting mate half cut then letting him go of to work - then we go of to Dublin on a jolly :10900:

Went Dublin on Urquahart tour bus from Edinburgh bus station that year

few drinks in pub - few drinks on bus - few drinks when we stopped for food [no time for food ] - few drinks on ferry - and more drink on way to Dublin

yeah had good time:2thumbsup:

is that what you mostly do or on the one occasion

is that what you mostly do or on the one occasion

Hi Bomber we have actually done that route on 3 seperate occasions - thanks for your interest :10900:

maybe next time [ if we go that route ] you should come with us

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
Hi Bomber we have actually done that route on 3 seperate occasions - thanks for your interest :10900:

maybe next time [ if we go that route ] you should come with us

so if you go to dublin I could follow on

Regal Kingston

I went to the Pennyblack in 2006.

As I was entering a WOMAN was being oachstered off the premises.

I had one lager (absolutely amazing pint by the way) then left.

Remember being in the P.B. early Saturday morning before 86 Cup Final. 3 hours bevvying before geting the 10 am train thru to the Weej.

Glad I was ****ed that day.......:43:

Thought this was going to be a stamp collectors thread.

Me too, Doug! Thought someone had gone and found a wee treasure in their attic or something!:th_o:

I have too many bad/good memories of the Penny Black for my liking!

A horrible wee pub that I must confess to having a bit of a soft spot for. Used to have a great jukebox IIRC.

Legendary place due to it's early opening time.

Been in a few disgraceful states in that place after clubs have kicked out and after-parties have ran out of booze.

Oh god. The very mention of that name makes me feel a bit hungover.

I spent FAR too much time there in my early twenties when I worked in the licensed trade. It was the done thing to finish work, wander along there for opening at 5 and meet tons of mates who worked in other dodgy establishments...get brekky from Snax at around 7, resume drinking again and then crawl home at some indeterminate hour of the day. There was always entertainment in the form of chair-flinging fights to look forward to and once they were done, the jukebox was your chum for the rest of the morning.

Can't quite remember for sure but the landlady's name might have been Hilda...she was a right formidable sort. She also employed the oldest glass collector in the world....aaahhh the memories.... :smiley2:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
I went to the Pennyblack in 2006.

As I was entering a WOMAN was being oachstered off the premises.

I had one lager (absolutely amazing pint by the way) then left.

Bit too much info, IMO.

Archived