Liberal Democrats

Buffalo Bill

I was actually discussing the Lib-Dems the other day believe it or not.

Came to the conclusion that there biggest problem was the fact that no-one really knows who they are and what they stand for.

Until they overcome this I can't see them getting into power any time soon.

Can't really comment on a national scale but our MP for Dunfermline is a Lib Dem and got to say have no complaints with the work he's doing locally and a couple of years back when my step dad had a serious head injury both he and his office went out of their way to provide help for him and my mum.

Honestly very much doubt they will ever be in a position to mount a proper challenge to the big 2 they might become very important in the event of a hung parliament

jamboinglasgow

I knew a girl at uni who was lib dem mad. A member of the uni party, everytime you talk to her it was lib dem (including bedding a lib dem member of parliement (who is not married, nothing controversal.) At school I voted in my first election (i turned 18 a month before) and voted before school, when I told people who I voted for I got so much grief from good friends for not voting lib dem. After that I will not vote fro Lib dems as I feel it is wrong to give grief for not voting one party.

To me they are in a posistion where they can appeal to young voters and upper-middle class voters due to the fact they know they can make the pledges that would be hard to implement if they were actually in power. If they were actually confident that they could get elected I think they would drop a few elections pledges to gain popularity.

What are they for?

http://www.libdems.org.uk/policies.aspx

Is voting Libdems just a waste of a vote?

Will they ever get in to power?

If you're fed up with Labour, aren't you better off just voting Tory, or SNP?

Has anyone ever met one?

article-1010106-00D53E8800000578-567_468x680_popup.jpg

I have also voted Liberal Democrat in the past BB, but I must admit that I'm unsure about doing so this time as they don't seem to have a clear direction at the current time. Pragmatism is a common theme with modern political parties, but the Liberal Democrats seem especially pragmatic at the moment.

That said, they are the only party to my knowledge, who have never been openly Euro-skeptic. Labour were the original anti-EEC party, to the extent that their 1983 manifesto (the 700 page behemoth commonly known as 'The longest suicide note in history') had a policy of Britain withdrawing from what was then the EEC. The modern Conservatives are of course, openly Euro-skeptic. As a strong believer in the European Union, I simply cannot identify with that.

I also identify with the ideology of liberalism and in their attitudes to issues such as crime and other social issues represents an approach that has never really been tried by the two main parties. So I think in the modern UK political spectrum, the Liberals present the best option for those who hold centre-left views.

This is a true story.

In one street in south Edinburgh the Lib.Dems. leafleted one side of the street saying they opposed speed bumps and the other side of the street saying they supported them.

Sums them up.

This is a true story.

In one street in south Edinburgh the Lib.Dems. leafleted one side of the street saying they opposed speed bumps and the other side of the street saying they supported them.

Sums them up.

I always had you down as a big Lib Dems kinda guy MF.

I always had you down as a big Lib Dems kinda guy MF.

You know me better than that. Wait 'til i see you in the Diggers!

My old grandad always said never trust the Liberals. They stabbed soldiers in the back during WW1 and lied about the "land fit for heros".

I have to say that their present day incarnation seem to be little better - no real policies other than giving away our national identity and spending people hard earned cash on wasters. A party that always seems to be mish mash of oddballs and political freaks. You've only got to look at the Li/Dem administration in Edinburgh to realise that - Jenny Dawe and Madaline McLaren - throwing money at trams and trashing schools. Last but not least Tom Ponton is a Lib/Dem - case closed!!

I might vote them or SNP next year but then I've got Darling as my MP....He's got weird eyebrows that don't match his hair... Dick.

I think it will be SNP as they are in charge of Scotland at the moment and most likely to be in charge of policy that affects my work.

Really, no party is different. If I was an MP and could give myself thousands of ??? every year over my MP salary....I would.

A Boy Named Crow
I vote for them. :2thumbsup:

Which version of the Lib Dems did you vote for? They are not a political party, they are a franchise. To illustrate my point, nationally they support wind farms, but at the local level they fight them tooth and nail. Total joke of a convictionless "party"!

a waste of a vote in national elections, but they seem to be very useful - comparatively speaking - at local level.

The Lib Dems are all over the place politically.

As some posters have said they say one thing in one area and an other in a different area. You just don't know where you are with the Lib Dems.

The Lib Dems are an odd bunch.

A lot of their policies I really like and if I wasn't a nationalist, there's a good chance that's what party I'd be in but they are so fickle. As Cabbie says, they are all over the place and until they sort themselves out and decide where they want to go, a vote for them is a wasted vote.

One example of their uselessness is their constitutional position. Their party policy is for a federal UK, fair enough, it would be better that the status quo - but they could most likely get it if they asked for a referendum on it... but they don't. Feck knows why????

jambos are go!

Scots vote tactically to keep the Tories out. Pits me in a bit of a dilemma since I support PR. I recommend tactical voting on the hope of a labour - lib dem coalition which will deliver PR.

Scots vote tactically to keep the Tories out. Pits me in a bit of a dilemma since I support PR. I recommend tactical voting on the hope of a labour - lib dem coalition which will deliver PR.

I can't see Labour going for PR. would instantly make the lib dems more powerful and pretty much insure they will be part of government since there isn't much chance of labour or the tories getting over 50% of the vote.

Never voted for them but to ask why seems like a daft question, they got 22% of the vote in the last election and I'm not sure if our electoral system allows for that 1 in 5 votes to be represented properly and changing the electorial system is one of their main policies. Currently they have no say when Labour or the Torry's win; a win and making all the decisions always means getting less than a majority (50%) but if there ever is a hung parliament the Lib Dems would probably have too much say.

As for their policies :-

They were dead against invading Iraq which has probably been proved correct given the number of soldiers we have lost and the number of Iraqui's still dying. Vince Cable seems to be a step ahead of the other parties when it comes to the economy. They are probably the greenest of the major parties. I know they have a lot fewer MP's they were still not really caught up in the expenses scandals and their leader has been the most outspoken about reform. They seem to be the most open and honest and do not rely on party spin machines.

I think a lot of people vote Tory or Labour come what may without really looking at the policies of all parties and a better question would be why do they do that ?

Archived