Barney Battles Jnr

heartgarfunkel

"The sides contested three Derby matches at the season's end, in the Finals of various local cup competitions, during which Battles managed to strike eleven times"

"In total he had scored 218 goals in 200 competitive games with Hearts."

What we'd all give for someone half as good as BB now!

heartgarfunkel

Absolutely Isaac, another player a third as prolific Battles would be a miracle for us! Love the bit about his hat-trick of hat-tricks!

Dave Mackay told me a few years back that the Hearts squad of his era would occasionally visit Barney's Newhaven boozer for a pint and that BB was an absolute gent, but 'hard as nails.'

this is the bit that caught my eye in addition to his derby prowess

This would prove to be a persistent and recurring concern but while there may have been doubts concerning his health, Battles renowned goal-scoring prowess was not in question, as he demonstrated in a match against Cowdenbeath at Tynecastle during the 1933-34 season. With Hearts trailing 4-1 with only twenty minutes of the game remaining, Battles rallied his side by scoring four times, helping them recover to a 5-4 victory.

I remember my auld man taking me into his pub when i was about 7-8 years old in newhaven,thats about 40 years ago.

Anybody any idea when it shut? also what the premises are now?

Archived