Cheap Holidays To 'obscure' Destinations

Alan_R

Anyone got any recommendations for a cheap holiday from Edinburgh.

Somewhere without the Euro would be good.

I want there to be things to do aswell as possibly a bit of nightlife.

Ski/Snowboard holidays are also a definate option.

I'm looking into kazakhstan but so far it seems pricey

martin aitchison

Cambodia,Vietnam or Laos.Got to be the cheapest places to visit and a lot of fun.Lager was 12p a pint in Hanoi when I was there in January.Doubt you will do much skiing though.

I'd suggest either Bosnia or Slovenia (not sure if they're now in the Euro though). Plenty of ski\snowboarding options, also really cheap once you're there.

Cambodia,Vietnam or Laos.Got to be the cheapest places to visit and a lot of fun.Lager was 12p a pint in Hanoi when I was there in January.Doubt you will do much skiing though.

small matter of the expensive flights....

my exact trip from the 5th of december to the 4th of jan with bangkok thrown in for new years after blasting thro all three. sorry to hijack the thread but any tips for vietnam?

right about the flight price tho. ?720 from glasgow to bangkok return and that was booked about 6 months ago. they are now about ?1200 a pop. then another flight needed from BKK to hanoi. not cheap.

thanks for the ideas.

with most 'cheaper' countries the flights seem to bump up the cost of the holiday.

Cheap flights from edinburgh would be ideal but I realise that may not be possible.

I like to travel and I've already been to poland/czech republic im looking to cross another country off the list.

Anyone been to latvia, romanian, estonia? how difficult/easy is it to get to these places?

What you could do is fly to Stockholm from Edinburgh and then get the Viking line ferry from Stockholm to Estonia via Helsinki.

http://www.vikingline.fi/routes/index.asp

Its 36 euros one way and like another 30 euros for the buffet, but the buffet is insanely good and unlimited beer and wine for 2 hours. Then you could try fly home from there or go to Latvia or whatever.

What you could do is fly to Stockholm from Edinburgh and then get the Viking line ferry from Stockholm to Estonia via Helsinki.

http://www.vikingline.fi/routes/index.asp

Its 36 euros one way and like another 30 euros for the buffet, but the buffet is insanely good and unlimited beer and wine for 2 hours. Then you could try fly home from there or go to Latvia or whatever.

thats pretty good. cheers

i'll have a look at flights to stockholm then. :2thumbsup:

thats pretty good. cheers

i'll have a look at flights to stockholm then. :2thumbsup:

fly to dublin then get a flight to kaunas.

fly to dublin then get a flight to kaunas.

here that is not a bad shout. im guessing flights are pretty cheap?

here that is not a bad shout. im guessing flights are pretty cheap?

you can get to dublin for pennies. no idea about the price to kaunas then travel via train to lithuanias neighbours of latvia and estonia nae bother.

Scotland is very cheap to get to, very easy to get to, no Euro's, language generally easy to understand away from the weedge, Beer is ok, lovely ladies. what more could a man want?

I'd suggest either Bosnia or Slovenia (not sure if they're now in the Euro though). Plenty of ski\snowboarding options, also really cheap once you're there.

Slovenia is cracking, passed through on the way to Zagreb, it is the Euro there as well.

For winter sports try Chamrousse in France, most tour operators are throwing in lift passes with self catered packages and a short airport transfer from Grenoble. Any time outside school holidays should be a bargain. The city of Grenoble is only 30 mins away by bus / taxi.

any other suggestions?

Got a day off so may have a hunt about online later.

I remember a website from 3 or 4 years ago which listed every destination you can fly direct to from Edinburgh. Might be worth hunting for that for some ideas.

Optimus Prime
Scotland is very cheap to get to, very easy to get to, no Euro's, language generally easy to understand away from the weedge, Beer is ok, lovely ladies. what more could a man want?

:nah:

Croatia.

:nah:

Croatia.

Think croatia has the nod. Going there with my old man.

and then Andorra for snowboarding with my mates. sorted.

Archived