The era of yawning .

Guest vanbasten1874

Guest Vanbasten1874

Seriously i dont know if its just my age the Tynie atmosphere or the mediocre fare on the pitch but nowadays i find my thoughts drifting at games to the architecture of the stands the quietness of the support and even my arse getting numb seems to occupy my thoughts more than what is on offer on the pitch and i cant stop bloody yawning . Was even thinking shopping with the wife is it really so bad .

WHATS WRONG WITH ME .

Oh and by the way did i mention yawning .

It's being going on for years.

I remember one game around 5 years ago under Levein where myself and my mate were betting against each other on which seagull would fly off the old stand roof first, or which crisp packet would move the furthest in 30 seconds.

Of course, just when it was getting interesting, Dennis Wyness would do something stupid like attempt a shot on target and hit the corner flag, thus ruining the moment.

****ing Wyness.

Seriously i dont know if its just my age the Tynie atmosphere or the mediocre fare on the pitch but nowadays i find my thoughts drifting at games to the architecture of the stands the quietness of the support and even my arse getting numb seems to occupy my thoughts more than what is on offer on the pitch and i cant stop bloody yawning . Was even thinking shopping with the wife is it really so bad .

WHATS WRONG WITH ME .

You're getting old. I do the same, apart from the yawning and the numb arse. It's great to be there, though, even when the football's crap. Thoughts drift a lot.

Shopping with the wife is preparation for the grave. Don't do it.

Midfield Dynamo

WHATS WRONG WITH ME .

Have to agree. I have been very enthusiastic in my support for the team throughout the years and always looked at the positives.

Apathy has set in this season and at times you wonder where the attacking free flowing football that we were promised by Vlad is.

In a nutshell he looks like he is fed up with his new toy and we are all left very dissapointed.

No passion, No drive = Apathy

Second half on saturday i just seemed to drift for a good 10 mins, not paying any real attention to the game whatsoever! Couldn't help it though, there was nothing there to pay attention to it was that poor

Christ, I turn 33 in 11 days time and I already feel this way!! I find myself harping back to the good old days of front threes of Robertson, Crabbe and Colquhoun and how football used to be much more enjoyable, ?3 quid to get in the game and knowing that Hearts would regularly turn over teams like Motherwell, St Mirren, Kilmarnock, Dunfermline, Dundee, Falkirk, Hibs etc.

In general, football has changed a lot over the years and in my opinion for the worse. For example, whilst Scottish and English clubs have always had a sprinkling of foreign players, I think we have gone too far down the road in that regard. In short, the Setanta tv deal collapsing and the general lack of money in the Scottish game may and that is as big may, could be the best thing to happen to the Scottish game in years. Hopefully, we will see more and more Scottish youngsters get opportunities in first-teams as opposed to sub-standard foreigners littering the game. Anway, that's Scottish Fitba solved :10900:

I've worked on Saturdays for years now but i always made the effort to get through work because i knew i was going to Tynie to watch the boys and looked forward to it. The last 3 or so years though i tut and hum 'n haw because i was fed up with the fayre on offer, so much so that last season was the first since the early 90's that i refused to re-new my season ticket, i thought i'd miss it considering i'd been going along to almost every home match since 1982 but i really didn't. I still went along to a few of the games but i was, more often than not, bored oot ma skull! Poor performances, hardly any atmosphere, lack of effort etc..etc I re-newed this year again because we'd signed some new players earlier than usual and was looking forward to going back regularly but, the Killie game apart(which i enjoyed) this season is going to be as dull and lifeless as the last 3 by the looks of things so far, i hope i'm wrong and it's still early but already, i'm not looking forward to going to games again but, i'll still be there,well... it's what you do.

Buffalo Bill

Although I advocate the backing of the team 100% during games at all times, I strongly believe that it is up to the club to give the fans something to cheer, or get excited about first, in order for the fans to reciprocate the appropriate response.

Tynecastle's atmosphere is organic, and is very much dependant on a combination of factors happening at certain times. A bit of effort is always appreciated. A rammy sometimes helps. But best of all: is good, attacking football.

Although I advocate the backing of the team 100% during games at all times, I strongly believe that it is up to the club to give the fans something to cheer, or get excited about first, in order for the fans to reciprocate the appropriate response.

Tynecastle's atmosphere is organic, and is very much dependant on a combination of factors happening at certain times. A bit of effort is always appreciated. A rammy sometimes helps. But best of all: is good, attacking football.

Interestingly, my experience of watching from the Curva in Italy is that the fans are there to get the team going and will sing throughout the match even if they are playing badly. They will though give it tight at the final whistle.

Even my 17 year old son has stopped asking to go to the away games. I used to go to most of them before he was born, and up to a couple of years ago, with him. His problem is that he did not watch them in the late 60's and 70's so he does not know that they can get even worse results wise. Can they get more boring though?

Maybe we need to have a chant-leader?

After taking in a Hertha match a couple of years back, I was sitting behind a group of fans who chanted and sang the whole match, lead by one guy with a megaphone.

Seems a bit artificial on the surface (and not sure it would really work here), but my gawd, they made one hell of a noise.

Incidentally, Hertha came back from 1-0 down to beat the current champions of the time, Stuttgart.

Buffalo Bill

If highly paid 'professionals' can't be arsed trying unless we give them last night at the proms then I wouldn't want them near Tynecastle.

They owe it to us, more then we owe it to them: although as I said, I do think we should always give the team 100% backing and do our moaning only on the final whistle/in the pub/on the 'net.

Sorry Spacerjoe, but the 'megaphone' route is not a road I'd like to see us travel down. Aberdeen try something similar with their cringy 'Always Ultras' and they look like absolute tools pretending to be Fiorentina fans.

Like I said, Tynecastle's atmosphere is organic. It needs to evolve by itself. If the club gives us a performance of pride and passion, attack and adventure - then the atmosphere will naturally take care of itself.

Anyone present on May 3rd 2006 will tell you that.

If highly paid 'professionals' can't be arsed trying unless we give them last night at the proms then I wouldn't want them near Tynecastle.

They owe it to us, more then we owe it to them: although as I said, I do think we should always give the team 100% backing and do our moaning only on the final whistle/in the pub/on the 'net.

Sorry Spacerjoe, but the 'megaphone' route is not a road I'd like to see us travel down. Aberdeen try something similar with their cringy 'Always Ultras' and they look like absolute tools pretending to be Fiorentina fans.

Like I said, Tynecastle's atmosphere is organic. It needs to evolve by itself. If the club gives us a performance of pride and passion, attack and adventure - then the atmosphere will naturally take care of itself.

Anyone present on May 3rd 2006 will tell you that.

Nah, I would never in a million years envisage it at Tynecastle; just thought it was interesting what some sets of fans do.

At Craven Cottage last season there was a massive divide over the 'clappers' that used to be left on each seat before games (bits of corrugated cardboard that could be used to make an amplified clap of sorts).

The purists hated them, but I have to admit I quite enjoyed the racket. Probably symptomatic of grounds that sell alcohol though... I'm always a bit more easily pleased after a few pints...

Jeesh

When was there last a rammy at Tynie ?

A crap film doesn't do well at the cinema - occasionally though if there is a superstar in it ...

A crap restaurant stays empty ...

A shop with crap service doesn't do well ...

It really is a two-way street. Play the exciting football and the fans will provide the atmosphere.

It can't work the other way round.

Buffalo Bill
Jeesh

When was there last a rammy at Tynie ?

No idea. I remember one against Rangers around 1988 but that's it!

In recent years, our 'concentration' (sometimes you do have to concentrate really hard to try and think what player X was doing!) has been broken by the huge tree that grows behind the old main stand and can be seen from the Wheatfield... it seems to get bigger and bigger every home game!

Buffalo Bill
In recent years, our 'concentration' (sometimes you do have to concentrate really hard to try and think what player X was doing!) has been broken by the huge tree that grows behind the old main stand and can be seen from the Wheatfield... it seems to get bigger and bigger every home game!

That tree offers the last great 'freeview' experience at Tynecastle.

It really is a two-way street. Play the exciting football and the fans will provide the atmosphere.

It can't work the other way round.

In what years though has that ever really applied in the last decade?

2005/6.. of course. 2006/7.. early on.

I can't really remember it being that exciting otherwise (as a footballing product I mean, not the excitement of watching football in itself). Especially under Levein, it was often dull as dishwater.

The difference then perhaps though was that the players probably performed to the standard that they were paid for. That made it acceptable. Believe you me though, it was not exciting football!!

Obviously its not as good as it could be at the moment, but on the whole can any team in the SPL really claim to be that exciting anymore? I used to enjoy the Old Firm matches, but that one on Sunday was nothing short of horrific to watch. Truly terrible.

I guess when you've just spent the previous day watching Barca whip Seville 4-1 in incredible style, your expectations are slightly altered as to what football should look like.

Also, we didn't all used to be tuned into Internet forums discussing the best ways to top ourselves after every bad pass... (of which Dennis Wyness made plenty).

Everything is over-analysed again and again and again these days, until its not possible to just experience football for what it is anymore.

Back in the day, the crowd entertained itself by changing ends at half-time, swaying, and occasionally, knocking lumps off each other.

gavinderbayne
That tree offers the last great 'freeview' experience at Tynecastle.

This post cracks me up!

I haven't been home to Scotland for coming up 4 years and even longer since I went back to tynie but I do remember wondering about that tree.

Was it really a tree or was it a big ol' weed growing on the roof of the old shed?

Given that John Hughes is now working the dregs doon leith that throws the big ol' weed theory out of the window so it must be a tree after all!

stuart-christie
Second half on saturday i just seemed to drift for a good 10 mins, not paying any real attention to the game whatsoever! Couldn't help it though, there was nothing there to pay attention to it was that poor

Just watched those ***** up the back of west stand...

never really had anything to cheer about...

Some guy behind us was class "SHUT UP...THE PAIR OF YA"

Archived