Japan

IronJambo

theres a lot of talk about Japan in the terrace and I don't want to hijack the thread it so i'm posting another here.

i'm going there around this time next year with my good lady and i'm looking for suggestions on "must see" places that anyones been. she's basically going to tour me around the country (she lived there for 3 years) but she's putting it on me to decide where to go.

so far our "have to go" places are:

Tokyo (can't miss it, but also got a wedding there!)

Kyoto

Osaka (if only to stay in a love hotel....pingu room here we come!)

Hiroshima...

the rest is to be decided. my trip has to either start or end in Tokyo.

i know as tourists we can get a mega cheap rail pass for the whole time we're there (a hundred and odd pound?). i'm sure one or two posters can confirm. good thing is we know people all over Japan so should barely need a hotel room at all.

cheers for any help guys. you won't get a response from me until sunday night/monday as i'm away for the weekend to the delights of south wales :hat2:

Great places to visit:

Andy's Izakaya, Yurakucho, Tokyo

Peace Park, Hiroshima

Ramen Alley, Sapporo

Shibuya, Tokyo

Golden Pavilion, Kyoto

Dogo Onsen, Maysuyama, Ehime

Geronimos, Roppongi, Tokyo

Worth going to a baseball game too.

blondejamtart

Best thing I would suggest is giving japanjambo a shout - she lives there and if anyone is "in the know" about all things Japanese, she's your woman!

It's amazing mate, you'll love it.

J-Rail passes are amazing. The trains are so expensive that it's impossible to travel without one unless you are loaded. Trains are tthe only way to go because the country is so huge. You can get anywhere on the trains.

There's not a whole lot in Hiroshima so I wouldn't spend too much time there. There's an island just off the coast of Hiroshima called Miyajima which has a giant red Torii and a colony of the friendliest deer you'll ever see. It was awesome.

Some of the castles are seriously cool too. Matsumoto castle is worth checking.

J-league football games are cheap and interesting and they sell beer.

You need to try the Kobe Wagyu beef - it's like nothing i've ever tasted. Words cannot describe how good this meat is.

Osaka is quality. My favourite Japanese city.

If you like theme parks, there's one at the foot of mount Fuji called Fuji-Q and it has two of the most insane rollercoasters you'll ever see.

They were genuinely terrifying.

Harajuku in Tokyo is insane as well. It's like being on a different planet.

cheers for the input guys!

she's putting together a list of suggestions but if anything on this thread isn't mentioned i'll bounce them off her.

its a long way off but i think theres a lot to plan. i'm probably as scared as i am excited, all the Japanese people i know are bonkers. especially the women!

Yo Yo the Parrot
It's amazing mate, you'll love it.

J-Rail passes are amazing. The trains are so expensive that it's impossible to travel without one unless you are loaded. Trains are tthe only way to go because the country is so huge. You can get anywhere on the trains.

There's not a whole lot in Hiroshima so I wouldn't spend too much time there. There's an island just off the coast of Hiroshima called Miyajima which has a giant red Torii and a colony of the friendliest deer you'll ever see. It was awesome.

Some of the castles are seriously cool too. Matsumoto castle is worth checking.

J-league football games are cheap and interesting and they sell beer.

You need to try the Kobe Wagyu beef - it's like nothing i've ever tasted. Words cannot describe how good this meat is.

Osaka is quality. My favourite Japanese city.

If you like theme parks, there's one at the foot of mount Fuji called Fuji-Q and it has two of the most insane rollercoasters you'll ever see.

They were genuinely terrifying.

Harajuku in Tokyo is insane as well. It's like being on a different planet.

While I have never been........... but an island a wee bit bigger than the UK can never be considered as HUGE. Also I have been to a few castles around Europe that might out do anything in Nippon land. However I do agree with your Kobe beef comment but I went to Vegas for that pleasure Any cow that drinks beer is my type of gal :2thumbsup:

Archived