How's your eyesight then?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How's your eyesight then?

• No glasses, smug 20:20
    • Glasses
    • Contacts
    • Glasses on contacts depending on that days pose
    • St Johnstone

How many people on here are spectacle wearers?

I've been avoiding them for years despite knowing I need them and indeed was prescribed glasses around 20 odd years ago and wearing them for a while.

In the last year I have felt my eyesight deteriorate a lot and as part of my work I have to read some fairly detailed plans and drawings.

The final straw is that I can't read the date on my watch anymore.

So I've got an appointment at Specsavers on Monday and it's looking like gregories all the way for me now. As a vain sod I'd rather wear contacts but the idea of putting my fingers near my eyes fills me with dread. So it's looking like I'll end up spending more than I plan on designer frames over the next few years.

God I hate the process of getting older.

I've been avoiding them for years despite knowing I need them and indeed was prescribed glasses around 20 odd years ago and wearing them for a while.

In the last year I have felt my eyesight deteriorate a lot and as part of my work I have to read some fairly detailed plans and drawings.

So I've got an appointment at Specsavers on Monday and it's looking like gregories all the way for me now. As a vain sod I'd rather wear contacts but the idea of putting my fingers near my eyes fills me with dread. So it's looking like I'll end up spending more than I plan on designer frames over the next few years.

Just for reading. It's an age thing. I just use cheap reading glasse as both eyes are the same prescription.

My distance vision is still better than 20/20 apparently. :smiley2:

Just for reading. It's an age thing. I just use cheap reading glasse as both eyes are the same prescription.

My distance vision is still better than 20/20 apparently. :smiley2:

Can you see into the future? Or round corners and behind yourself?

Can you see into the future? Or round corners and behind yourself?

I read that post before you hit the enter button. :smiley2:.

I should wear them, my left eye is bad but the right makes up for it. I'd like that laser surgery but I don't see the benefit as of yet. Long way to go.

As a vain sod I'd rather wear contacts but the idea of putting my fingers near my eyes fills me with dread.

Contacts freaked me out when I first tried them, 16 years ago. But since then I have worn them every day and putting them in is just as natural to me as cleaning my teeth or having a shower. I would recommend daily contacts, you can't even feel them in your eye.

Need them for the football(short-sighted)but has cost me financially!

4-0 hubs semi cost me ?200 for a new pair.Hartley's first goal had the gregorys hurtling down the stands!

Thank your lucky stars you're long-sighted.

Generic Username

I've got absolutely honking visions for the following reason;

I thought it would be a hoot during 2nd year at school to wear this girls glasses at every available oppertunity. They were big old thick bad boys. I'd pop them on, act like a goon (surely quite a shock to those who know me) and think everything was grand.

My eyesight eventually deteriorated thanks to her specs and I'm now lucky if I can see more than about 20cm infront of my own face without my lenses or specs on.

It's lenses for the day time, glasses at night although sometimes they get an airing during the day. Specs are cool.

FACT.

Thank your lucky stars you're long-sighted.

Seems like a bit of both. My right eye has been rubbish for years but it hasn't really been a problem as my left seemed to do most of the work. So now I think that both eyes are a bit long sighted but one is definitely short sighted.

Varifocals are calling I reckon, and they sound like a bit of a tricky thing to get used to.

Seems like a bit of both. My right eye has been rubbish for years but it hasn't really been a problem as my left seemed to do most of the work. So now I think that both eyes are a bit long sighted but one is definitely short sighted.

Varifocals are calling I reckon, and they sound like a bit of a tricky thing to get used to.

The real puzzler is why,as specky individuals,we seem to see things that most Scottish refs don't!

Strange one!

:stuart:

yeah have to wear my glasses for reading, can only manage about 5 mins without them before my eyes too get sore.

Had my eyes tested on Wednesday as i had some yellow thing in my eyes that i was concerned with, turned out to be sun related and most people have it. Was told that my sight had changed slightly in the last year due to my work ( in front of a computer screen all day) was told i could get varifocals "or something like that" but it was only a minimal difference in the subscription from what my reading glasses are now and thay are usually for folk in the 50's and i'm only 30 lol

Welcome to the club.

I hate lenses for that reason. Squeamish as hell, takes me an eternity before taking part in any sport to put them in. I wear specs 95% of the time now. Craig on the other hand, wears lenses every day, took to them completely naturally. You might surprise yourself.

portobellojambo1

I wear glasses at work, and at home for using the PC, watching television etc.

I don't wear them for the likes of the football, probably should but if I don't what I'm witnessing doesn't seem quite so bad (or at least that is my reasoning and I'm sticking with it).

wear the monthly all day all night lenses, I'm blind as a bat so if I didn't have them I'd have to wear glasses all the time

at my last check up I was -6.50 in each eye

blondejamtart
i'm short sighted so only use them for distance reading and driving

Same here - also for working on the computer. Had contacts years ago but had to stop wearing them when I was pregnant (something to do with the shape of your eyes changing?) and never bothered with them again.

Would never contemplate laser eye surgery - I just know that, with my luck, I'd be one of the poor sods where it all goes wrong!

Same here - also for working on the computer. Had contacts years ago but had to stop wearing them when I was pregnant (something to do with the shape of your eyes changing?) and never bothered with them again.

Would never contemplate laser eye surgery - I just know that, with my luck, I'd be one of the poor sods where it all goes wrong!

Ive never met anyone whos laser treatment has gone wrong:2thumbsup:

Miller Jambo 60

Dont you ever argue about anything you see or dont see at Tynecastle.

blondejamtart
Ive never met anyone whos laser treatment has gone wrong:2thumbsup:

There's a first time for everything - and they do give you warnings that it can go wrong. I just don't like the thought of anyone messing with any part of my body - especially my eyes - unless it's absolutely medically necessary, to be honest.

BoJack Horseman

I'm pretty sure I'm slightly short-sighted. I had trouble reading the board from the back of the class in high school and I still can't really see things from a great distance. It doesn't affect me at all at the moment but I reckon I should go for an eye test. I've never had one but it would be interesting to see what my eyes are like.

The Comedian

To balance this, I'm a smug 20:20 kinda guy. Can read the bottom line of the chart which is airline pilot standard.

:10900:

I am colourblind though if that makes you all feel better.

Snake Plissken

Just for TV and computers, I can see reasonably well, just can't read things at a distance.

-7.00 L and -6.50 R for my contact lens prescription. Daily disposables an absolute skoosh to work with. Swimming, rugby...anything. Mind you, I'm not squeamish about putting stuff in my eyes. Try it...you might surprise yourself.

Find myself needing reading glasses now, however. Without CLs I can read okay but only if the book is within a foot of my eyes.

Specs when not using CLs...reminds me why I got 'em.

I'm only 18 and have terrible eye sight.

Have to wear contacts everyday (Monthly Disposables) and glasses for home use.

Monthly contacts are a nightmare as you have to clean them thouroughly and if you loose a pair then you're ****ed for a month.

Worn specs since I was about 5. Tried contacts a few years back, could not take to them. Putting my fingers in my eyes really freaked me out. And when I did manage to get them in, I continually felt uncomfortable, they were'nt sore or anything, just felt almost as if I was undressed. Weird. Real ****er is I now need reading specs for close up work, so now have to cart an extra pair of specs with me. Tried the varifocals, horrible they were.

:21:

I'm only 18 and have terrible eye sight.

Have to wear contacts everyday (Monthly Disposables) and glasses for home use.

Monthly contacts are a nightmare as you have to clean them thouroughly and if you loose a pair then you're ****ed for a month.

have you tried the all day all night ones, I've been using them a few years and it's as close to having perfect eyesight you can get without laser surgery

Worn specs since I was about 5. Tried contacts a few years back, could not take to them. Putting my fingers in my eyes really freaked me out. And when I did manage to get them in, I continually felt uncomfortable, they were'nt sore or anything, just felt almost as if I was undressed. Weird. Real ****er is I now need reading specs for close up work, so now have to cart an extra pair of specs with me. Tried the varifocals, horrible they were.

Agree with you about the varifocals. They take a bit of getting used to. Trying to get objects into sharp focus means you have to nod your head up and down. I didn't fancy carting another pair of glasses about as it would be a nap I would lose them.

Fortnightly lenses, and glasses in the house. Though I have to take them off to read :stuart:

Agree with you about the varifocals. They take a bit of getting used to. Trying to get objects into sharp focus means you have to nod your head up and down. I didn't fancy carting another pair of glasses about as it would be a nap I would lose them.

I know exactly what you mean, I felt like one of those wee nodding dugs you see in car windows. Did manage to mislay my first pair of reading glasses a couple of months after I bought them. ?250 down the drain I thought. Claimed on the insurance, and got a new pair. Was working at Leuchars, opened a cabinet door, staring back at me were the pair I'd mislaid. Memory fading faster than the eyesight. Auld age disnae come by itself!

:nah:

I'm a specky 4 eyes except if I'm going out or to the football when I wear my contacts.

I've been like this since I was 13 and I'm now 35.

dodethejambo

I have 6/6 vision, just to be different.

Is no-one on here going to admit that they need glasses because of all the ham-shanking in their youth?

I've had to wear specs since I wa in my 20's, my eyesight hasnt changed much since I did though, its been the same for the last 8 years at about -2.5 in each eye.

I look funny without them on now, and I'm crap at getting contacts in my eyes.

Is no-one on here going to admit that they need glasses because of all the ham-shanking in their youth?

good lad. 6/6 the british way. :2thumbsup:

by the way for any glasses wearers theres this place up craigmillar way. Buy glasses direct from the factory. Wide variety of frames and cheap as chips compared to the high street:

http://www.spectaclesoutlet.co.uk/

Less of the "in your youth", if you don't mind.

I've been wearing varifocals for about six years now. They manage the almost impossible task of making me look even more handsome and distinguished than I did pre-specs.

Bert Le Clos

I used to wear contacts for distance ie. driving, reading lectures etc. as I was a bit vain about wearing specs.

Until an incident where after making a chilli, I put my contacts in forgetting to wash my hands.

Strictly glasses when required now.

Radioactive Mince

Generally wear glasses most of the time. I'm short-sighted and have needed corrective lenses since I was eight. My eyes aren't all that bad (-3.5) but even at that I can't really read things at any distance without them. I wear contacts sometimes (all day all night monthlies) mostly when going out but I just got a really cool pair of specs so might not use my contacts very much any more.

These are the specs I got (and got free prescription sunglasses :)):

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/mens-glasses/lite-124#

Mince

I used to wear contacts for distance ie. driving, reading lectures etc. as I was a bit vain about wearing specs.

Until an incident where after making a chilli, I put my contacts in forgetting to wash my hands.

Strictly glasses when required now.

Pal of mine had something of a similar nature happen. Said the dance routine his then bird did was spectacular!!!!

Got glasses not long after my lifelong dream of joining the RAF was thrown out of the window due to my lack of being able to see a 12,000ft mountain from 3 yards away.

Can see up close though, so **** them.

Radioactive Mince
bit pricey are they not!? :21:

I got free prescription sunglasses worth ?139, though. That's how I'm justifying it to myself anyway.

Mince

I got free prescription sunglasses worth ?139, though. That's how I'm justifying it to myself anyway.

Mince

Thats not too bad then.

The place i mentioned above does designer sunglasses for ?85 including perscription lenses though.

Don't need glasses myself but know a few folk who have got spex there and it sounds pretty reasonable in comparison.

Radioactive Mince
Thats not too bad then.

The place i mentioned above does designer sunglasses for ?85 including perscription lenses though.

Don't need glasses myself but know a few folk who have got spex there and it sounds pretty reasonable in comparison.

Seems pretty good value I must admit. I didn't know about that place when I got mine or I might have trekked over for a look, even though it's a bit out my way (Dunfermline).

Mince

Archived