Top 5 Players of the 21st Century

dougal

Taken from another website, but thought it would provide a bit of debate. Who do you consider to be the best five players that have played for Hearts since the year 2000, regardless of how long they were at the club. I'd go for

Gordon

Hartley

Fyssas

Flogel (left in 2002)

Cameron (sold in 2001)

Niemi

Gordon

Hartley

Fuller

Skacel (when he was at his best - even when he wasn't trying he was above average)

It feels wrong having 2 keepers in there, but they are Gordon and Niemi.

Cant believe Rudi Skacel isnt in from the start of this, 18 goals and probably same again in assists in his 1st season in SPL? what a 1 season wonder eh?

Gordon

Skacel

Fyssas

Flogel

Hartley

Craig Gordon

Takis Fyssas

Edgaras Jankauskas

Paul Hartley

Rudi Skacel

Really can't argue with that!

A real shame, as Kingston should be on that list, but he's just never shown any inclination to produce the goods on the pitch (see also Pinilla).

jamboinglasgow

Gordon

Niemi

Hartley

Fyssas

Skacel

If it is the best 5 players in the world from 2000-2009

Zidane

Messi

C. Ronaldo

Ronaldinho

Shevchenko

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Us:

Niemi

Gordon

Hartley

Skacel

Cameron

World:

Zidane

Messi

C.Ronaldo

Fat Ronaldo

Figo

Hearts Heritage

First on the list has to be

Elvis - Joint second longest seving captain ever. Most capped Scottish Hearts player ever.

Kisnorbo

McAllister

Maybury

MacKenzie

Neilson

Only Kidding the real top 5

Fyssas

Jankauskas

Niemi

Gordon

Fuller

Elvis - Joint second longest seving captain ever. Most capped Scottish Hearts player ever.

exactly.

Pressley

Gordon

Hartley

Cameron

Skacel

Totally agree with you there!

Elvis

Gordon

Hartley

Fyssas

Skacel (while GB was here!)

World:

Zidane

Messi

C.Ronaldo

Fat Ronaldo

Figo

World 5

Zinedine Zidane

The Ronaldo

Lionel Messi

Andrey Schevchencko

Cristiano Ronaldo

NO PAOLO MALDINI!!!?

maldini...iiiiiiiiiiiiii.jpg

Gordon

Niemi

Jankauskas

Fyssas

i'm struggling for a fifth that deserves to be listed with the above 4 tbh.

Hartley is clearly better than Jankuaskas and Fyssas

Niemi

Gordon

Cameron

Hartley

Fyssas

And in terms of a global top five:

Zidane

Ronaldo

Messi

Ronaldinho

C. Ronaldo

NO PAOLO MALDINI!!!?

maldini...iiiiiiiiiiiiii.jpg

I was going to put him in but the players listed have been at their peak this decade while Maldini has been moving towards the end of his career. Still absolutely amazing though. :)

chester copperpot
Gordon

Pressley (Yucccck, but has to be in there)

Hartley

Skacel

Fyssas

Cannot believe that I put him in before my beloved Colin Cameron.

I was going to put him in but the players listed have been at their peak this decade while Maldini has been moving towards the end of his career. Still absolutely amazing though. :)

Doesn't make it for me. Next on my list were Figo, Rivaldo, Nedved (yes, seriously), Eto'o and either Nesta or Cannavaro. In this decade, as opposed to the 1990s, I think both have been better than Maldini. Then, of course, there are 'keepers like Casillas, Buffon or (at his best) Kahn to consider as well.

Potentially you could be looking at a 31 year old maldini.

Captain of his country having already led his club to various titles and cups.

He went on to play a further 9 years at the top level! This decade alone he has won:

Serie A, Coppa Italia, Supercoppa Italiana, Champions league, UEFA Supercup

also named in:

Champions League team of the tournament

UEFA team of the year

FIFA world 11

Serie A defender of the year

Champions league best defender

UEFA achievement award

thats ALL just this decade by the way.

Doesn't make it for me. Next on my list were Figo, Rivaldo, Nedved (yes, seriously), Eto'o and either Nesta or Cannavaro. In this decade, as opposed to the 1990s, I think both have been better than Maldini. Then, of course, there are 'keepers like Casillas, Buffon or (at his best) Kahn to consider as well.

see above post.

I think ever this decade what maldini has done surpasses the rest.

He is only a few years older than the likes of figo and nedved.

Doesn't make it for me. Next on my list were Figo, Rivaldo, Nedved (yes, seriously), Eto'o and either Nesta or Cannavaro. In this decade, as opposed to the 1990s, I think both have been better than Maldini. Then, of course, there are 'keepers like Cassilas, Buffon or (at his best) Kahn to consider as well.

If I had to choose a keeper it would be Casillas without a doubt. His achievements in the game are outstanding and will be pretty hard for a keeper to better them!

Over 350 appearances for Real, 98 caps for Spain, won every trophy bar the World Cup, youngest ever keeper to play in the Champs League final at 19 ... unreal.

see above post.

I think ever this decade what maldini has done surpasses the rest.

He is only a few years older than the likes of figo and nedved.

I know - but I felt he was at his peak when Milan were dominating the Italian game in the early to mid-90s. He's had an astounding career; but I'm not at all convinced another of Europe's super clubs would've retained a player in decline over his last four years or so.

If I had to choose a keeper it would be Casillas without a doubt. His achievements in the game are outstanding and will be pretty hard for a keeper to better them!

Over 350 appearances for Real, 98 caps for Spain, won every trophy bar the World Cup, youngest ever keeper to play in the Champs League final at 19 ... unreal.

Would certainly be my choice too. It's different for keepers, of course; but still worth noting his longevity (and there's more to come too), and contrasting it with his fellow wunderkid, Raul.

Potentially you could be looking at a 31 year old maldini.

Captain of his country having already led his club to various titles and cups.

He went on to play a further 9 years at the top level! This decade alone he has won:

Serie A, Coppa Italia, Supercoppa Italiana, Champions league, UEFA Supercup

also named in:

Champions League team of the tournament

UEFA team of the year

FIFA world 11

Serie A defender of the year

Champions league best defender

UEFA achievement award

thats ALL just this decade by the way.

It's hard to argue with .... I just absolutely loved watching Figo!

This decade he's won Euro player of the year, world player of the year, La Liga twice, Champions League once and Serie A 4 times ... not to mention countless domestic cups!

I know - but I felt he was at his peak when Milan were dominating the Italian game in the early to mid-90s. He's had an astounding career; but I'm not at all convinced another of Europe's super clubs would've retained a player in decline over his last four years or so.

i see what your saying but maldini played at the very highest level for 20 years.

regardless if he was at his best in the 90s i still thing a 31yo maldini would get a slot in any team in the world any decade.

It's hard to argue with .... I just absolutely loved watching Figo!

This decade he's won Euro player of the year, world player of the year, La Liga twice, Champions League once and Serie A 4 times ... not to mention countless domestic cups!

He probably loses marks with me for being an absolute **** though. And my sympathies are with the Barca fans who threw a pig's head at him when he returned to Camp Nou with Real.

He probably loses marks with me for being an absolute **** though. And my sympathies are with the Barca fans who threw a pig's head at him when he returned to Camp Nou with Real.

You'd struggle to find a multi-millionaire, superstar footballer that isn't an absolute ****, tbh! :2thumbsup:

Anyway, a welcome distraction from trying to work out who is the least pish striker on Hearts books.

Don't feel the need to justify that, he's one of my favourite ever football players! Got a signed Juve top with his sig, love it!

As for the 5 Hearts players;

Gordon

Niemi

Hartley

Fyssas

Pressley

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Gordon

Niemi

Hartley

Fyssas

Skacel