Mother India's Cafe

rossmaroon

Edinburgh is in for a treat with the opening next week of Mother India's Cafe in the Capital. It along with Mother India and the 2 Wee Curry Shops are by far Glasgow's best curry restaurants. The cafe sells the same menu as the restaurant, but in small tapas size portions. Go and try it!

Nandos is opening in Edinburgh in April too.

Don't normally eat in places like that or chains really ( well Browns now and again ) but, Nandos is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine.

The only thing I don't like about Nandos is having to go up and order at the counter. Why, when there is tons of serving staff?

Is this Indian a branch of the one beside the library with the domed roof in CharringX then?

i live right next to mother india in glasgow. one of the cities few bright spots.

I was DJing at a big, massive noisey techno party right across the road from your flat lat night.

Is this Indian a branch of the one beside the library with the domed roof in CharringX then?

i think thats the koh-i-noor. mother india is a few minutes away from town on sauchiehall street (almost next door to the clap clinic for those that need a point of reference)

I live 2 minutes away from mother india in Glasgow but I've never been in. Expensive?

Mother India (restaurant) is easily the best Indian in Glasgow. It is not too expensive either. However, the cafe (opposite Kelvingrove Art Gallery) is an even better eating experience. They don't take bookings, so you nhave to queue, although you never wait too long. Best to go with a group of 4 or 6 and just order 2/3 dishes each and share. The portions are small and cheap and the bill is always surprisingly low.

*Both serev the best pint of Kingfisher I have found anywhere.

While on the subject of food..... Round the corner from Mother India, on Argyle Street is the Thai Siam (best Thai restaurant in Glasgow imo) and Kokyuro ( the only(?) Korean restaurant in Glasgow: also very good).

have you tried the Banana Leaf indian takeaway on old dumbarton road? it is like no indian food i have ever had, very good especially the dosa's!

Sounds magic. Where's it opening?

It does and to repeat your question.......

WHERE IS IT OPENING ? :)

It does and to repeat your question.......

WHERE IS IT OPENING ? :)

Taken form here

Mother India, 10 Newington Rd, Tel: 6629020. Sister restaurant of the famous Glasgow establishment. Downstairs is more studenty and laid-back while upstairs is altogether more formal, but both offer excellent Punjabi cooking. Set lunch and pre-theatre dinner are great value. Open Mon-Sat 1700-2230 (Fri also 1200-1400), Sat till 2330, Sun 1500-2230.

Mother India (restaurant) is easily the best Indian in Glasgow. It is not too expensive either. However, the cafe (opposite Kelvingrove Art Gallery) is an even better eating experience. They don't take bookings, so you nhave to queue, although you never wait too long. Best to go with a group of 4 or 6 and just order 2/3 dishes each and share. The portions are small and cheap and the bill is always surprisingly low.

I'm starving!

Stop talking about food!:(

The man is right though,quality eating place.The pakora.....oh my giddy aunt!

Taken form here

Mother India, 10 Newington Rd, Tel: 6629020. Sister restaurant of the famous Glasgow establishment. Downstairs is more studenty and laid-back while upstairs is altogether more formal, but both offer excellent Punjabi cooking. Set lunch and pre-theatre dinner are great value. Open Mon-Sat 1700-2230 (Fri also 1200-1400), Sat till 2330, Sun 1500-2230.

Thanks belly :cool:

• 3 months later...
jimmyjambo

mother india cafe just opened on infirmary street (i think) anybody been yet ? any good?

The People's Chimp

mmmm.....i'm in the mood for a quality curry now. going out tonight though, so it's 2 for 1 pizzas at the bier halle instead.

Taken form here

I could walk there. Pity i dont like Indian food though :o

anybody been yet ? is it any good? is it licensed? i know lots o questions!!! supposed to be going there tonight, dont want to turn up without a salvodor dali and its no licensed!!

the voice from above
anybody been yet ? is it any good? is it licensed? i know lots o questions!!! supposed to be going there tonight, dont want to turn up without a salvodor dali and its no licensed!!

what he said? i think it's all a rouse and the place doesn't actually exist.

I walked past it the other day, and am planning to go there fairly soon

The address is wrong though. It is actually on infirmary street, just off South Bridge.

Brilliant. Mother India is my favourite restaurant in Glasgow. I hear the cafe is excellent also, as a kind of Indian tapas type set up.

There are thoosands of Indian restauratns in the Burgh, but I'm chuffed with this news.

went there on Friday, excellant,only complaint, did'nt like the naan, made with lots of butter,but overall good quality meal freshly cooked and good price ?38 for 2 with a bottle of wine cant complain at that will definetly go back

Its well worth a visit, had an excellent meal. Not overly expensive, really nice friendly staff and a nice environment. Just what Edinburgh needs!!

coppercrutch

Clearly never been to India. ;)

I got a free Kingfisher key ring with my first ever pint of the stuff.

No offense to you curry loving boys but if you have never been to a real curry house in India, well you've never had a real curry.:rolleyes:

Get on the next plane over !!

Archived