Tomorrow's opponents

Victorian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Cup_1986%E2%80%9387

who could possibly forget the events of the 1987 scottish cup?

despite being a premier league team, hamilton's 1-0 win at ibrox was raved about as the biggest shock ever to rock scottish football since the riotous ones were rodgered at shielfield park. oh how i cheered up after our drab 0-0 versus killie when that came over the tannoy.

three matches to dispatch killie, perennial scottish cup gimps hibs being pumped rotten by clydebank and a fabulous 4th round win for the famous over septic (famous game for the best ever whirly birds) were tremendous days indeed.

another epic battle to see off motherwell, the replay seeing hearts take through an army in excess of 12,000.

then thud.

****ed up the farter again by cheating dogfaced *****house fhrank mcgharvey.

them were the days.

After the Airdrie debacles surely one of the most disappointing semi final defeats ever. I cried.

it was a real crippler right enough but i think i was worse after the 1988 one, 1-2 against plasticpaddy fc.

one up with 3 mins to go and thanks to a total keeching of ourselves we're oot.

maybe it was just the cumulative effect of 1986/1987/1988.

bad bad times.

it was a real crippler right enough but i think i was worse after the 1988 one, 1-2 against plasticpaddy fc.

bad bad times.

Your right that probably was even worse. I have tried to remove that from my memory banks. The only time I can ever remember my old boy not able to speak or even move at the end of a game. We must have stood for 20minutes, well it seemed like that at the time, just totally numb. Over 67000 at Hampden that day as well.

Of course in typical Hearts fashion we emptied them 2-1 at Tynie a week later in front of over 25k.

The thing is it was actually an amazing time to watch Hearts just littered with complete heartbreak at the end of seasons.

Your right that probably was even worse. I have tried to remove that from my memory banks. The only time I can ever remember my old boy not able to speak or even move at the end of a game. We must have stood for 20minutes, well it seemed like that at the time, just totally numb. Over 67000 at Hampden that day as well.

Of course in typical Hearts fashion we emptied them 2-1 at Tynie a week later in front of over 25k.

The thing is it was actually an amazing time to watch Hearts just littered with complete heartbreak at the end of seasons.

* you're right. we had a 31 match unbeaten run in 1985/1986 and we beat them the week after the semi when they were on a run of 31 themselves. they only needed a draw to win the league but we kept it going until the next week. there were three games left and they were 6 points ahead (old system).

* an amazing time to be a hearts fan but as you say it was also a time to be routinely booted in the denis laws quite hard.

bad bad times.

Got to agree with that. I'd been on the wagon and off the fags for 6 months prior to that game and went back on both with a vengeance after it.

CH

The Old Tolbooth

bad bad times.

Vic, I still believe it was those 3 years of suffering cruel defeats that still sets the mindsets of us fans who are old enough to remember it today, I still expect to lose in the last minutes, or spectacularly blow it in typical Hearts fashion, no matter who we're playing against :hang:

Vic, I still believe it was those 3 years of suffering cruel defeats that still sets the mindsets of us fans who are old enough to remember it today, I still expect to lose in the last minutes, or spectacularly blow it in typical Hearts fashion, no matter who we're playing against :hang:

In many ways that was what made 16/05/98 the day it was though and the outpouring of emotion so strong. It was also what made the last 15mins seem like 3hrs and why many couldnt watch.

The noise when the final whistle went will live with me always. A day never to be forgotten especially for those who had experienced all the disappointments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX_u2R0AMBo

Lovely sunny day, completely ruined by an inept performance.

I was also at the Clydebank v Hibs match earlier in the tournament, that was fun.

bad bad times.

1988 was a sore one , still is,

In many ways that was what made 16/05/98 the day it was though and the outpouring of emotion so strong. It was also what made the last 15mins seem like 3hrs and why many couldnt watch.

The noise when the final whistle went will live with me always. A day never to be forgotten especially for those who had experienced all the disappointments.

spot on

I'll always remember that I never heard the final whistle. Don't get me wrong, I was there and I was watching the referee like a hawk throughout the entirity of that injury time.

But when he raised his arms to signal the end of the game I realised I was far from the only one watching him. The sound of the final whistle never reached where I was sitting because it had already been drowned out by thousands of Hearts supporters screaming their lungs out.

I was 11 years old at the time and even if I live to be 100, I will consider myself a very lucky man to experience a moment better than that.

Archived