Whisky...only in Japan?

japanjambo

We were clearing out my MIL's(who died in February) house recently. Found a few bottles of whisky given to my FIL(who died a few years ago) about 30-40 years ago. Sealed and unopened. One was a Suntory whisky. It was in a silk decorated box. But most of the whisky had evaporated, even though it was still sealed. Hubby contacted Suntory...and a week later we were given a brand new bottle of 18 year-old whisky, free of charge! Then we had another bottle of whisky...Johnnie Walker Old Harmony. Unopened, but less than a full bottle , and looked really contaminated. So, sent it to JW Japan. Got a reply tonight. They are sending us a bottle of JW 1820 as a replacement, worth 125 quid! Brilliant! I'm thinking that this kind of thing could only happen in Japan...Customer service..second to none!

Cheers

Lynn:th_o:

Miller Jambo 60
We were clearing out my MIL's(who died in February) house recently. Found a few bottles of whisky given to my FIL(who died a few years ago) about 30-40 years ago. Sealed and unopened. One was a Suntory whisky. It was in a silk decorated box. But most of the whisky had evaporated, even though it was still sealed. Hubby contacted Suntory...and a week later we were given a brand new bottle of 18 year-old whisky, free of charge! Then we had another bottle of whisky...Johnnie Walker Old Harmony. Unopened, but less than a full bottle , and looked really contaminated. So, sent it to JW Japan. Got a reply tonight. They are sending us a bottle of JW 1820 as a replacement, worth 125 quid! Brilliant! I'm thinking that this kind of thing could only happen in Japan...Customer service..second to none!

Cheers

I thought that whisky would keep in the sealed bottle Lynn.

That was great they replaced them.

Doug.

That "Old Harmony" was a very expensive bottle of booze in it's time ...

http://www.wineandalcohol.com/alcohol/johnnie-walker-scotch-whisky

US$850 it says there.

Yours would have been worthless if it was tainted though, so good on JW for supplying a fresh one. :2thumbsup:

There's a bottle on Ebay too ...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Johnnie-Walker-Old-Harmony-Rare-Scotch-Whisky_W0QQitemZ280400843443QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_15?hash=item41493152b3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I thought that whisky would keep in the sealed bottle Lynn.

That was great they replaced them.

Doug.

I thought so too, Doug. The cork lid of the suntory had leaked. There was only about 5% of the actuall whisky left! They even sent us an explanation and photos! Also, the Suntory representative delivered the new bottle in person! JW just sent an email reply and said they'd send us the new bottle of 1820. Not sure why that bottle leaked etc. They actually said the bottle in question came from Scotland, and they will send it back there to see why it had gotten contaminated. They might wait a while for that reply!:th_o:

damn when i worked for the co-op I found an old stash of whisky, hidden away behind old shelfs for 20 odd years. it had sediment in it or had evaporated.

Some good stuff there as well.

Didn't think to do anything with it. Binned the lot.

Wasn't strictly speaking mine but I might have taken more of an interest if I'd thought of that!

I thought so too, Doug. The cork lid of the suntory had leaked. There was only about 5% of the actuall whisky left! They even sent us an explanation and photos! Also, the Suntory representative delivered the new bottle in person! JW just sent an email reply and said they'd send us the new bottle of 1820. Not sure why that bottle leaked etc. They actually said the bottle in question came from Scotland, and they will send it back there to see why it had gotten contaminated. They might wait a while for that reply!:th_o:

To be fair, that is actually fantastic customer service.

Archived