Revolutionising the Diddy cup

h-e-a-r-t-s

Think we all agree it's a bit of a waste of time. Thoughts on how it could be improved and made worthwhile ITT...

I'll start...

- Scrap it and bring back the Tennent's Sixes

or

- Must use 5 players under 21

or

- 30 mins each way and only play 7 a side with rolling subs

or

- Get the English championship sides involved (assuming, safely, that the Premiership wouldn't be interested)

Those ideas are rank, tbf.

It would be made to look more important if there was an added incentive for it, like a European spot.

I would love to see the introduction of English sides in the competion.

Something like the quarter finalists of each country in the same draw would bring the crowds back and make the diddy cup more appealing.

Can't see it happening though as england still get a Euro spot for their competition.

revert to dryburgh cup rules and have the "offside line" as an extension of the 18 yard line - bigger pitch - more goals - probably!

Giant goals, exploding balls, naked lady referees, bear fighting at half time etc.

Think you might have something there. It would only work if the lady refs were hot though.:10900:

Giant goals, exploding balls, naked lady referees, bear fighting at half time etc.

I like that idea provided they had good sized knockers. Then it really would be the diddy cup.

Suspect Device

get a new uk wide sponsorship for both Scottish league cup and English league cup

have a 'Battle of Britain' (two leg?) final

winners get Europa League place.

English might not fancy it so much, but they probably think they'd win anyway, major sponsors would be interested, tv would want to cover it - make it something to look forward to.

revert to dryburgh cup rules and have the "offside line" as an extension of the 18 yard line - bigger pitch - more goals - probably!

Sounded great .........but in practice it was naff with players ending up camped on the 18yd line at each end ?

I recall Jimmy Cant being our LC top scorer (? ) as he was able to stroll forward and hit a number of shots from 18.5 yards :stuart:

get a new uk wide sponsorship for both Scottish league cup and English league cup

have a 'Battle of Britain' (two leg?) final

winners get Europa League place.

English might not fancy it so much, but they probably think they'd win anyway, major sponsors would be interested, tv would want to cover it - make it something to look forward to.

Best idea so far imo.

The People's Chimp

I'd love the english and scottish leagues to merge the two league cups. That would be class and would give it a real interest and improve prestige. It could even be set up in that there was an early seeding system and the preliminary games being intra-each home nation until a certain stage - so maybe only quarters, semi and final were mixed? or even there was a last 32 or even 16 through to the finals. so you'd have say 16 teams from up here and then the same form down south, or because they've got more teams, you could have 10 scottish and 22 english or whatever permutation was agreed on - so at least you wouldn't have howls of protest at some of the early rounds' draws - because although there would be the odd surprise, the better teams should be the ones left at the end....

Changing the rules for the Diddy Cup diddifies it even more.

I don't get the whole 'it's not worth winning anymore because there is no European place attached' argument.

When I drank solidly for three days on May 16th, 17th and 18th 1998, I didn't do so because we had just qualified for the European Cup Winners Cup. Likewise, I wasn't gutted after the Coca Cola Cup in 1996 because we lost out on the Uefa Cup spot.

I just wonder how diddy the Diddy Cup would be if it had been us, and not Hibs who had won it in 1972, 1991 and 2007.

jamboinglasgow

had a quick bit of research and found that out of the following nations:

Scotland

England

France

Spain

Italy

Germany

Netherlands

Portugal

Belgium

Switzerland

Greece

Norway

Sweeden

Finland

Denmark

Czech Rep

Croatia

Out of all those countries, only England, Scotland, Portugal, Finland and France have a league cup. Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Greece and Spain all had it but scrapped it (Denmark scrapped it after two years.)

I think there is little need in two cup competitions which are effectivly the same (except one allows non-league teams in.) So I think the league cup either needs to be scrapped or changed completely.

I am in favour of changing in partnership with a complete restructuring of the league system. So say two leagues of 16 in Scotland (SPL1 and SPL2) makes 32 teams, put that into 8 groups of four. Then the winners of each group go through to the quarter-final, then semi, then final. Each team in the groups plays each team twice (home and away.) Hopefully with a Europa cup place at the end of it.

I also think it needs to encourage young players and their development so each matchday squad must include 8 U21s out of 18 players.

I always liked it much better when it was all over early doors - all the rounds early, final well before Christmas. Meant it had its own identity - keeping the semis and final back to the Spring is just pointless.

The People's Chimp

Also, having the semis midweek totally devalues the competition.

This is the very first thing that should be changed about the league cup.

I always liked it much better when it was all over early doors - all the rounds early, final well before Christmas. Meant it had its own identity - keeping the semis and final back to the Spring is just pointless.

That's the only thing i'd change from the present set-up.Finish the tourny before Christmas.As the games have to have a winner on the night,the winner,if they are/were in european football,will only have to play four games.I think that's pretty decent.Keep this format and play the final on the last Sunday in November,job's a good 'un.

Semi-finals should be home and away, not a neutral ground and a Euro slot for the winners. The competition would make money because of bigger supports, the semis would make money because of playing each other home and away and a Euro spot makes money anyway and have it over and done with before christmas.

Award the winners a European spot at the end of the season if the Scottish cup winners have already qualified, taking it away from the Runners-up. Get it back to being over and done with by end November (All the classic finals of the LC were early season). Make it ?10 maximum to get in.

Award the winners a European spot at the end of the season if the Scottish cup winners have already qualified, taking it away from the Runners-up. Get it back to being over and done with by end November (All the classic finals of the LC were early season). Make it ?10 maximum to get in.

UEFA have decreed that national cup runners-up will qualify for the Europa League if the cup-winners are in the Champions League. This is in place until 2013. I would still give a Europa League place to the league cup winners, they would be more deserving than the 4th placed team in the SPL IMO.

Its beyond saving, scrap it!

I would be tempted to agree but, just as the BIG CUP is to the SFA, the league cup brings ( some ) desperately needed revenue to the SFL

Unfortunately, something has to go when people are prioritising their choice of matches to attend and a wet n windy midweek night ( of the none European variety ) just aint that appealing !

Archived