combi boiler advice

ArmiyaRomanova

ArmiyaRomanova

Our combi boiler has given up the ghost after 12 years unblemished service.

So I'm faced with buying a replacement boiler and having it fitted.

Preferably as soon as possible, the flat's baltic, we've only a couple of small electric radiators to stave off frostbite and the cold showers of a winter's morning are doing my nut (and nuts) in.

It's possible to find out the cost/availability/timescale for most things on-line these days, but I'm finding net pickings very slim in this case.

Anyone able to offer advice on what the likely ballpark cost of a replacement combi boiler and installation might be, and what timescale might be involved?

Cheers in advance!

We just got a new Scottish gas fitted Combi with all the extras etc and it cost, ?2,400. I am sure you can get it cheaper but we just wanted to ensure quality fitting and aftercare.

Our gas bill is down about 20% since it was fitted as it is far more economical.

Would guess the boiler will be around ?600 fitted...assuming you dont need to ugrade radiators & pipework.

You'll also need to fit a "condensing"-type boiler which involves some additionnal small-bore drainage pipework.

If you can pm me , I'll recommend someone to fit.

ArmiyaRomanova
Hi mate not sure what your looking to spend but if you look on the scottish gas website they do a free quote.here is the link

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/BookAnAppointmentFromHomePage?WT.seg_3=i100032

Cheers for that - have booked appointments with them and Scottish Hydro.

I guess it's just too much to ask to be able to walk into a showroom, point at a boiler with a price tag on it that includes a reasonable fitting charge, ask some questions, buy it and expect to have the whole thing all done and dusted within a day or two.

Cheers for that - have booked appointments with them and Scottish Hydro.

I guess it's just too much to ask to be able to walk into a showroom, point at a boiler with a price tag on it that includes a reasonable fitting charge, ask some questions, buy it and expect to have the whole thing all done and dusted within a day or two.

Scottish gas came to the house for the sales pitch. You can get it done cheaper if you go to a smaller company though.

ArmiyaRomanova
We just got a new Scottish gas fitted Combi with all the extras etc and it cost, ?2,400. I am sure you can get it cheaper but we just wanted to ensure quality fitting and aftercare.

Our gas bill is down about 20% since it was fitted as it is far more economical.

No offense, SD, but that's my absolute nightmare! You live in an eight bedroom house in the Grange and pay for gold-plated fittings and a live-in repair squad or what?

I've checked out 'discount' fittings places on-line and it seems a combi boiler and a pack of radiators/piping etc... can be had for around a grand, without fitting.

Given what radiators cost, I'd be hoping to pay probably slightly more than half of that.

ArmiyaRomanova
Would guess the boiler will be around ?600 fitted...assuming you dont need to ugrade radiators & pipework.

You'll also need to fit a "condensing"-type boiler which involves some additionnal small-bore drainage pipework.

If you can pm me , I'll recommend someone to fit.

Now this is what I was hoping to hear - apart from the 'condensing'-type boiler which I don't understand and will have to research. A boiler for the boiler?

Anyway, for the moment I'll see what the gas giants have to say when/if they deign to pop round.

But thanks for the offer... I may yet take you up on it!

No offense, SD, but that's my absolute nightmare! You live in an eight bedroom house in the Grange and pay for gold-plated fittings and a live-in repair squad or what?

I've checked out 'discount' fittings places on-line and it seems a combi boiler and a pack of radiators/piping etc... can be had for around a grand, without fitting.

Given what radiators cost, I'd be hoping to pay probably slightly more than half of that.

Hopefully you do. As I said I paid for the quality and reassurance of aftercare for three years.

They also fitted it in one day, new boiler,flue pipes, radiators etc.

Not quite The Grange, but a four bedroom in Penicuik. :)

apart from the 'condensing'-type boiler which I don't understand and will have to research.

Oh yeah, I got the condensing boiler. As I said I expect to save about ?200 a year on my gas bills compared to the old chugger we had.

ArmiyaRomanova
Hopefully you do. As I said I paid for the quality and reassurance of aftercare for three years.

They also fitted it in one day, new boiler,flue pipes, radiators etc.

Not quite The Grange, but a four bedroom in Penicuik. :)

Ah, okay, that sounds more reasonable (gulp!).

I'm not looking at flue pipes, radiators etc... I have all that already, and am probably naively assuming that they're not boiler-specific.

ArmiyaRomanova
Oh yeah, I got the condensing boiler. As I said I expect to save about ?200 a year on my gas bills compared to the old chugger we had.

Does this condensing boiler occupy much space?

I live in a small double-upper in Newington and the boiler's currently stashed in a cupboard in the eaves of the house - not much space to put anything else in.

Now this is what I was hoping to hear - apart from the 'condensing'-type boiler which I don't understand and will have to research. A boiler for the boiler?

Anyway, for the moment I'll see what the gas giants have to say when/if they deign to pop round.

But thanks for the offer... I may yet take you up on it!

It's compulsory to fit condensing type boilers in new housing nowadays anyhow, so other variants may be in short supply.

Essentially they're more efficient as they recycle the waste product they produce, which in turn produces a small amount of liquid needing a small condensate drain pipe...really shouldn't be an issue to fit but definately worth it.

Good luck.

Does this condensing boiler occupy much space?

I live in a small double-upper in Newington and the boiler's currently stashed in a cupboard in the eaves of the house - not much space to put anything else in.

Same size as the last boiler, perhaps slightly smaller.

ArmiyaRomanova
Same size as the last boiler, perhaps slightly smaller.

Sounds good. I'd initially thought it was a separate unit and I'd need both, but some research on-line put me right.

Will have to spend some time crawling around the eaves looking for an easy route for an outflow pipe, I guess.

Thanks for your input, everyone - I'm feeling a deal more confident about what's ahead and what it should set me back.

Right, back to the one toasty room in the house.....

Sounds good. I'd initially thought it was a separate unit and I'd need both, but some research on-line put me right.

Will have to spend some time crawling around the eaves looking for an easy route for an outflow pipe, I guess.

Thanks for your input, everyone - I'm feeling a deal more confident about what's ahead and what it should set me back.

Right, back to the one toasty room in the house.....

Job should be done in 1 day

New boiler does not have to be a condensing boiler when replacing an existing boiler, and should be same size or smaller than a 12 year combi

Your flue would need changing

Your Gas supply to boiler will more than likely need sized up(bigger pipe)

Unless you have money to burn 'DO NOT GET BRITISH GAS ' to do the job as they will rip you off.

PM me if you want a 'Quote'

My company would charge around ?1400 & vat to supply and fit a basic condensing combi. Probably not what you want to hear. No doubt a self employed Corgi engineer can do it a bit cheaper.

Scotland does not yet come under the same reg's as the rest of the UK as far as condensing boilers are concerned (basically you can still fit non-con boilers here) HOWEVER most manufacturers have stopped making non-condensing appliances as the rest of the UK have obviously stopped buying them. The cost of condensing boilers is now a lot cheaper than they used to be so the only real "extra" is the condensate pipe and that cost is determined by the installation circumstances.

Whoever you get Armiya, make sure they are fitting a decent make. My choice of manufacturer would be a Vaillant, Vokera, Potterton or Worcester. Equally I would avoid an Ariston, Ferroli, Ideal or Biasi. Only my opinion mind. :cool:

theAlvasection

Dont get a Glowworm utter pesh,condensate pipe has to go into a waste pipe I think.British Gas are crooks how they can justify some of their prices is beyond me.I've just started fitting condensing boilers on site nothing hard about it and they do save you money in the long run,get a corgi registered fitter to do it as a homer and it won't be too pricey.

• 1 month later...

I'm also looking to get a Combi boiler & raidiators supplied and installed, also remove existing. Got quoted ?4600 from British Gas(532 High Efficiency Boiler)..

?2800 from Firbank Prop Ltd(Worster 27CDI Combi)

Still waiting on another quote from a Company

A corgi registered guy wants ?2500 to do it as a homer...

Any advice would be good...

ArmiyaRomanova

I finally settled on a Worcester (after one or other of the folk I had quote rubbished pretty much every other make except that and Valliant) and the lowest quote I got was 2.2k.

Probably a bit expensive considering it was a boiler replacement, but the last time this was done was over ten years ago, and upgrading work was required before installation (including a new flue, condensate drainage pipe, pump, the system flushed etc...).

The folk who did it (Nationwide Gas) couldn't have been more efficient and now I've a nice toasty house and am having hot showers for the first time in a month.

Check out the aftercare - apparently a five-year warranty only remains valid with yearly services.

Incidentally, British Gas quoted me 4.6k for the same work.

Csaba's Broon Shoes
I finally settled on a Worcester (after one or other of the folk I had quote rubbished pretty much every other make except that and Valliant) and the lowest quote I got was 2.2k.

Probably a bit expensive considering it was a boiler replacement, but the last time this was done was over ten years ago, and upgrading work was required before installation (including a new flue, condensate drainage pipe, pump, the system flushed etc...).

The folk who did it (Nationwide Gas) couldn't have been more efficient and now I've a nice toasty house and am having hot showers for the first time in a month.

Check out the aftercare - apparently a five-year warranty only remains valid with yearly services.

Incidentally, British Gas quoted me 4.6k for the same work.

I hope they were Gorgie registered , a lot of them Polish cowboy out-fits

on the go , did you get any new radiators for 2.2k

ArmiyaRomanova
I hope they were Gorgie registered , a lot of them Polish cowboy out-fits

on the go , did you get any new radiators for 2.2k

Definitely not a cowboy outfit - or a homer.

No new radiators needed.

Since the work was actually slightly less involved than they'd anticipated and quoted for, I'm going to ask for a small reduction in their invoice on the basis that 'doesn't ask doesn't get'.

Probably could have got it done cheaper, but didn't have much confidence in a couple of the folk who came round to quote.

Your no kiddin.

Boiler replacement always involves new flue, altering pipework,condensate pipe

etc all in price.

as for a new Pump, i thought you wanted a combi fitted?

which comes with a pump fitted inside boiler!

Csaba's Broon Shoes

2.2K for a replacement combi seems well expensive to me

You can buy a good condensing boiler at B & Q for ?750

It would take no more for a day to fit

figures don't add up to me .

?2200 sounds about right to me. i got a new old school boiler fitted for ?1500 about 5 years ago. was offered a fitted combi as a homer for ?1500 but the guy never came through. british gas quoted me over ?2000 for a combi even then

• 3 months later...
Definitely not a cowboy outfit - or a homer.

No new radiators needed.

Since the work was actually slightly less involved than they'd anticipated and quoted for, I'm going to ask for a small reduction in their invoice on the basis that 'doesn't ask doesn't get'.

Probably could have got it done cheaper, but didn't have much confidence in a couple of the folk who came round to quote.

Is it Hydro you went with? Have you agreed anything? My mate is the Edinburgh Hydro Corgie gas engineer. He could have done it as a homer for much less.

Bomber Harris

AVOID BRITISH/SCOTTISH GAS

Over the years i have dealt with them RE quotes etc and everyone they have been at least ?1k over the other quotes i've had from other Corgi registered heating engineers.

My latest problem was that i took up they're offer of cheaper fuel from Jan to Aug 2007, i then got a cheaper monthly quote from Scottish Hydro in which i gladly accepted... lo and behold Scottish Gas sent me a bill for ?817.77 for Gas Consumptiom between those months (?1,289.34 minus monthly D/D)

Currently in despute with them that i have actualy used that much fuel within 8 months !!!:mad:

AVOID BRITISH/SCOTTISH GAS

Over the years i have dealt with them RE quotes etc and everyone they have been at least ?1k over the other quotes i've had from other Corgi registered heating engineers.

My latest problem was that i took up they're offer of cheaper fuel from Jan to Aug 2007, i then got a cheaper monthly quote from Scottish Hydro in which i gladly accepted... lo and behold Scottish Gas sent me a bill for ?817.77 for Gas Consumptiom between those months (?1,289.34 minus monthly D/D)

Currently in despute with them that i have actualy used that much fuel within 8 months !!!:mad:

British Gas are frickin RIP OFF merchants, I was with them and paying ?42 a month for gas, and ?42 for the leccy. Got a letter from them saying they were puting my gas up to ?82, even though I was ?200 in credit! I asked them how they came to that figure, they said they based it on my previous 3 months consumtion. Thing is I had just received my Quarterly bill, and it was less than they were trying to charge me for one months D/D. Told them to poke it, went with Scottish Hydro, paying less a month and still in credit!!

Just replaced a combi boiler

?399 for the boiler from B&Q and before anyone says they are rubbish i have 10 of them on the go with 2 years full warranty.

?50 for cooper pipe,condensing pipe and flue

?200 Corgi registered plumber with a receipt and the boiler registered with corgi

Total ?649

Tell British Gas , Scottish Gas and most big gas company's to go and sling there hooks. They are a bunch of robing bar stewards.

Pete Seeger
Just replaced a combi boiler

?399 for the boiler from B&Q and before anyone says they are rubbish i have 10 of them on the go with 2 years full warranty.

?50 for cooper pipe,condensing pipe and flue

?200 Corgi registered plumber with a receipt and the boiler registered with corgi

Total ?649

Tell British Gas , Scottish Gas and most big gas company's to go and sling there hooks. They are a bunch of robing bar stewards.

10 B & Q Boilers on the go! Good luck! ;) I don't know who you got for ?200

but I'll give him a job if he's happy with that price!

i have 10 of them on the go

Your house must be absolutely roasting.

10 B & Q Boilers on the go! Good luck! ;) I don't know who you got for ?200

but I'll give him a job if he's happy with that price!

Dont worry, you will soon be able to pick a plumber up for a lot less with all the house building coming to a halt:)

Archived