"The Lost Symbol" Dan Browns new book.

maroonlegions

"The Lost Symbol" (which Brown didn't finish till February, 2009)? Brown's new book is about the Dome of the US Capitol and The Apotheosis of the George Washington painting there. In his new book, DaVinci Code author Brown sends symbolist Robert Langdon in search of an ancient portal in the US Capitol and points to the Apotheosis as the key to the portal and to transforming men into gods."

Sounds good, think i will be getting a copy, a bit disappointed in his last effort but hopefully its better.

Read Da Vinci Code and thought it was pretty bad so never read any of his other stuff. He reminds of the Famous Five books I read at primary school. I honestly can't see this new one being any better.

Read Da Vinci Code and thought it was pretty bad so never read any of his other stuff. He reminds of the Famous Five books I read at primary school. I honestly can't see this new one being any better.

Oh well , cheers for replying anyway.:2thumbsup:

Oh well , cheers for replying anyway.:2thumbsup:

Hope you like it any way ML.

If you are interested in one of my recommendations, I've just read American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It was pretty damn good. Check it out on amazon if you want to.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I always get the impression Dan Brown books are read by people who don't actually enjoy reading.

I read Da Vinci Code and it was pish. The film was even worse.

book snobs really do **** me off!

how can you say that people who read dan brown dont really enjoy reading?

in this day and age when more and more people arnt reading books any more in favour of other media (tv and computers) then anything that encourages someone to pick up a book is a good thing regardless of the content surely be it a biography or the da vinci code and the likes!

rant over FTH

in this day and age when more and more people arnt reading books any more in favour of other media (tv and computers) then anything that encourages someone to pick up a book is a good thing regardless of the content surely be it a biography or the da vinci code and the likes!

rant over FTH

I think he means that Dan Brown's books are aimed at people who don't normally read books. I think that's a perfectly reasonable comment to be honest. I know a fair few people who despite not having read a book since high school, read and enjoyed the Da Vinci code.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

rant over FTH

Book snob. :laugh:

I think he means that Dan Brown's books are aimed at people who don't normally read books. I think that's a perfectly reasonable comment to be honest. I know a fair few people who despite not having read a book since high school, reading and enjoying the Da Vinci code.

Correct.

Snake Plissken

I was going to offer the opinion that Dan Brown's books are for people that don't normally read but I see it has been done already.

My ex girlfriend didn't like to read much but she got through all of Dan Brown's books which I think makes my point.

His books are written in an Eastenders style in that every chapter finishes with a cliffhanger so you then need to read the next chapter.

Not a great writer but a clever construct.

I'm really one of those folk that only reads a book on holiday, therefore probably fall into the fold. I enjoyed the DVC, it had enough to keep me reading. I understand if your into reading then his style is probably childish, but I think he give a lot to think about and questions these tales we have grown up with.

Surely if he has got another 100 folk reading then thats a good thing?

boabyarsebiscuit

If you are interested in one of my recommendations, I've just read American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It was pretty damn good. Check it out on amazon if you want to.

Read it and thought it was OK (actually prefer Gaiman's work in the Graphic Novel medium)

If you liked American Gods (and you just said you did) you might like The Good Faeries of New York by some Scottish guy called Millar (with an "a") IIRC.

Whatever happened to the Book Club on here, btw?

I'd like to join, just so I could recommend "High Life" by Matthew Stokoe. Sick.

I think he means that Dan Brown's books are aimed at people who don't normally read books. I think that's a perfectly reasonable comment to be honest. I know a fair few people who despite not having read a book since high school, read and enjoyed the Da Vinci code.

I personally read 4 or 5 books a Month, I enjoyed Dan Browns books (All of them) I will buy this and look forward to reading it...I like books that entertain and inform, I like Biographies, Politaical thrillers, Historical...Anything really, BUT, I'm not a book snob. If someone likes something I don't, it's all about taste. Fek all to with how much you read...I see the same thing on here when Films are being reviewed...You get the same ones EVERY TIME coming on to tell us certain films are crap and we should be watching Japanese/French/Mexican (Basically anything with Sub-Titles) Films because we're not as intellegent as them if we don't...Book Snobs, Film Snobs... :conf11:

Thankfully i don't give a flying what people think about my book reading- loved the Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons. Easy reading yes, but isn't that exactly what people want?! War & Peace just ain't for me....

boabyarsebiscuit
Thankfully i don't give a flying what people think about my book reading- loved the Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons. Easy reading yes, but isn't that exactly what people want?! War & Peace just ain't for me....

I read War and Peace, and on one level it's a right good story. You should give it a try.

It's not unaccessible wankcrap like Ulysses by James Joyce. Ulysses - revolutionary - yes, doesn't read like a book written in nineteen-oatcake. Good - no, absolute pish, actually.

Spot on mate.

Got this book the other day and not started it yet. Enjoyed all his previous books.

I dont really read to much into all the hype etc that goes with his books, i read a book becuase I think I will enjoy it regardless if its fact or fiction

boabyarsebiscuit

Not sure of the plot of this one. Is it about the 1972 Led Zeppelin tour of the US where John Bonham lost a cymbal prior to the gig in the Capital Center in Maryland and they had to send Tom Hanks out to the nearest drum shop to buy a new one?

The People's Chimp
You get the same ones EVERY TIME coming on to tell us certain films are crap and we should be watching Japanese/French/Mexican (Basically anything with Sub-Titles) Films because we're not as intellegent as them if we don't...Book Snobs, Film Snobs... :conf11:

French cinema at its best is stylistically excellent. It's usually well made, deep, thought provoking. Japanese cinema is often again stylish, and often hyper violent, and a glimpse into another culture.

If liking these make me a snob, then so be it!

But don't be fooled - the fact is that Japan and France also trot out clich?d, tired pesh. Those films don't make anyone's list. The fact is that good cinema is good cinema, subtitles or not.

If you want to stick to bland hollywood tripe, then you're welcome to it.

marshallschunkychicken

I have very eclectic reading tastes, so I 'acquired' this earlier for escapism purposes.

Read a couple of chapters, and it's pretty much exactly the same formula as his previous stuff - shock...

For the Neil Gaiman fans, my favourite of his is still his collaboration with Terry Pratchett, 'Good Omens'.

French cinema at its best is stylistically excellent. It's usually well made, deep, thought provoking. Japanese cinema is often again stylish, and often hyper violent, and a glimpse into another culture.

But don't be fooled - the fact is that Japan and France also trot out clich?d, tired pesh. Those films don't make anyone's list. The fact is that good cinema is good cinema, subtitles or not.

I think these 2 highlighted points show you are, I've watched French and Japanese films. Can't even remember the names of them....I just don't get (And won't pretend!) the point in sitting trying to READ a film!! :euro::th_o:

Personally, sometimes I want to read stuff which is deeper, more meaningful and tests your brain - other times (holidays, beach, for instance), I just want something which is easy reading and not too demanding. Quite enjoyed both the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons for what they were - easy reading fiction, but felt both Digital Fortress and Deception Code were dire. Don't know if I'll even bother with this latest one...

boabyarsebiscuit
Personally, sometimes I want to read stuff which is deeper, more meaningful and tests your brain - other times (holidays, beach, for instance), I just want something which is easy reading and not too demanding. Quite enjoyed both the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons for what they were - easy reading fiction, but felt both Digital Fortress and Deception Code were dire. Don't know if I'll even bother with this latest one...

First off, don't want to come across as a book snob, but my tuppence worth on the Da Vinci Code.

I had heard people rave and rave about it as a must-read. So I went for it. And I thought it was a bland thriller-by-numbers that did nothing for me.

The book I am now hearing all the rave reviews about, and am now subsequently scared to read in case it's as pish as the Da Vinci Code is that Stieg Larrson Dragon Tattoo burd thingy.

I agree with this a good film is a good film regardless of whether its in a different language it doesnt make me a film snob just a fan of good films.

I've seen some awful crap in loads of different languages.

The People's Chimp
I think these 2 highlighted points show you are, I've watched French and Japanese films. Can't even remember the names of them....I just don't get (And won't pretend!) the point in sitting trying to READ a film!! :euro::th_o:

Lucky for me I speak French then eh! :2thumbsup:

boabyarsebiscuit
Lucky for me I speak French then eh! :2thumbsup:

I speak a bit French. I've only 3 French DVDs in my collection with no subtitles. Luckily they are music based (Gainsbourg, Bardot, and the Johnny Hallyday 1971 "Live in Pompeii" type effort) - but I found it very hard to follow the dialogue bits.

This dude William Henry is claiming that he is the source of Browns new book, this Henry dude is a full time professional researcher on symbolism and has had many books out on the subject of symbolism as well as talks on the true nature and meaning in various symbolism.He could well be but i will keep an open mind on it just know.

The hero of Dan Brown's new book discovers some familiar concepts -

In our new Insight, popular Revelations show host William Henry asks: "Am I the source for Dan Brown's new book? 'The Lost Symbol' (which Brown didn't finish till February, 2009), which is about the Dome of the US Capitol and The Apotheosis of the George Washington painting there?

In his new book, "DaVinci Code" author Brown sends symbolist Robert Langdon in search of an ancient portal in the US Capitol and points to the Apotheosis as the key to the portal and to transforming men into gods. If this sounds familiar its because this is EXACTLY what I say in my presentations about Morph and The American Rite, and especially in my latest book Freedom's Gate, which I have co-authored with Dr. Mark Gray. This painting and the Capitol Dome encodes nothing less than a path to individual empowerment, ascension and true Freedom."

Link for book, MORPH http://www.nexternal.com/ukcountry/Product404

Link for book American Rite http://www.nexternal.com/ukcountry/Product405

rite2.jpg

link for book Freedoms Gate http://www.nexternal.com/ukcountry/Product421

freedomcover12.jpg

Will do mate , i have heard of that book and will give it a butchers.Cheers for the recommendation.:2thumbsup:

Surely Dan Brown's books are just for those who want to believe in ridiculous conspiracy theories.

Not necessarily believe mate more like having an open mind and of course things are not always black and white.There are people who do research and spend a lot of time and effort in the field of symbolism are they to be dismissed because it enters the realms of possible conspiracy theories.Its all about how far you want to take or look up on these matters , you either don't do any or you go down the rabbit hole. Symbolism and symbols are by there very meaning exactly what they are , they relate or point to things in that form or way.

Surely Dan Brown's books are just for those who want to believe in ridiculous conspiracy theories.

.......or can enjoy it for what it is, a work of fiction based round some historical "grey areas" concerning the Holy Grail.

I also enjoyed Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but I didn't think it was a factual historical account either.

Sorry to dissapoint. :thumb:

Read it and thought it was OK (actually prefer Gaiman's work in the Graphic Novel medium)

If you liked American Gods (and you just said you did) you might like The Good Faeries of New York by some Scottish guy called Millar (with an "a") IIRC.

Whatever happened to the Book Club on here, btw?

I'd like to join, just so I could recommend "High Life" by Matthew Stokoe. Sick.

Added to my list of things I intend to read.

Thanks.

Just like the LOTR books are just for those who want to believe in hobbits and orcs and magic rings

Just like the LOTR books are just for those who want to believe in hobbits and orcs and magic rings

The Lord of the Rings developed as a personal exploration by Tolkien of his interests in philology, religion (particularly Roman Catholicism[13]), fairy tales, Norse and general Germanic mythology,[14][15] and also Celtic[16] and Finnish mythology.[17] Tolkien acknowledged, and external critics have verified the influences of William Morris[18] and the Anglo-Saxon poem Beowulf.[19]

Tolkien included neither any explicit religion nor cult in his work. Rather the themes, moral philosophy, and cosmology of the Lord of the Rings reflect his Catholic worldview. In one of his letters Tolkien states, "The Lord of the Rings is of course a fundamentally religious and Catholic work; unconsciously so at first, but consciously in the revision. That is why I have not put in, or have cut out, practically all references to anything like 'religion', to cults or practices, in the imaginary world. For the religious element is absorbed into the story and the symbolism."[13]

Some locations and characters were inspired by Tolkien's childhood in Birmingham, where he first lived near Sarehole Mill, and later near Edgbaston Reservoir.[20] There are also hints of the Black Country, which is within easy reach of north west Edgbaston. This shows in such names as "Underhill", and the description of Saruman's industrialisation of Isengard and The Shire. It has also been suggested that The Shire and its surroundings were based on the countryside around Stonyhurst College in Lancashire where Tolkien frequently stayed during the 1940s.[21] The work was influenced by the effects of his military service during WWI.:th_o:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings

There is far more to the main themes of these three books in his autobiography that Tolkien was putting out in his symbolism and the characters he based them on.He based these books on his love of nature and his displeasures on industrialization .Pure fiction on the characters , Orcs ect i know but his experiences in the World war can be seen in these books.Its even been surmised that the Orcs were the Germans and later Sauron the rise of Hitler.

MacDonald Jardine
His books are written in an Eastenders style in that every chapter finishes with a cliffhanger so you then need to read the next chapter.

Not a great writer but a clever construct.

Just like Charles Dickens then?

Archived