Wallace... Why i think we might not have lost with him playing.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Just a very simplistic view really but when the Dutch supersub came on, he looked like a greased ferret and Hutton was just about dead on his feet.

Had we started with Hutton on the right and Wallace on the left, then could we not have brought Whittaker on when Hutton started flagging, I reckon as good as the Dutch boy looked, it was tired play by Hutton that led to the goal... Oh and Marshall's steadfast refusal to come out and close down an attacking player... Tad cruel maybe after a few fine saves but he really does not like to leave his box.

it is harsh to blame anyone after a spirited performance but were Rae and Dorrans really the two players we needed to call up to the squad after injuries and suspensions when we were so dreadfully short of left sided full backs?

Just a very simplistic view really but when the Dutch supersub came on, he looked like a greased ferret and Hutton was just about dead on his feet.

Had we started with Hutton on the right and Wallace on the left, then could we not have brought Whittaker on when Hutton started flagging, I reckon as good as the Dutch boy looked, it was tired play by Hutton that led to the goal... Oh and Marshall's steadfast refusal to come out and close down an attacking player... Tad cruel maybe after a few fine saves but he really does not like to leave his box.

it is harsh to blame anyone after a spirited performance but were Rae and Dorrans really the two players we needed to call up to the squad after injuries and suspensions when we were so dreadfully short of left sided full backs?

Hard to disagree, if a bit over-analytical!

Don't know what Burley's problem with Lee is. Harks back to the Craig Brown era of overlooking good young players outwith the OF. Didn't expect Burley to be like that so wonder if it's down to someone else.

If he doesn't like Lee, Mulgrew at Abdn isn't a bad player either.

Ogi fae Gorgie

It was David Weirs fault if he had decided not to header the ball it would have either ran through to Marshall or away from Hutton. With him headering it, it caught out everyone, Weir was knackered at this point. IMO I attach no blame for the goal on Hutton.

Guest Bilel Mohsni
Hard to disagree, if a bit over-analytical!

Don't know what Burley's problem with Lee is. Harks back to the Craig Brown era of overlooking good young players outwith the OF. Didn't expect Burley to be like that so wonder if it's down to someone else.

If he doesn't like Lee, Mulgrew at Abdn isn't a bad player either.

Definitely, Dixon even if I was to be sure not to take an overly Hearts-centric view on matters. I hope we do not see a return to the days where Hearts (Or Aberdeen and UTD) players need to leave before getting the recognition they deserve. It is a little strange though if Burley is taking a non OF stance though as he worked with many of the current Scotland squad when he was at Hearts... I don't think he would take this stance to be honest but it is a little weird, maybe it is an attitude thing? Although as far as I was aware wallace keeps his nose out of trouble these days.

Guest Bilel Mohsni
It was David Weirs fault if he had decided not to header the ball it would have either ran through to Marshall or away from Hutton. With him headering it, it caught out everyone, Weir was knackered at this point. IMO I attach no blame for the goal on Hutton.

Not blaming Hutton as such, he put in a streling shift, I just think he looked done for pace every time the sub attacked him late on, on the right... A fresh Hutton or Whittaker would have asked more from him IMHO.

thats what i thought also

Whittaker and Hutton should be Scotland's full backs for years to come.

We should be looking to mould a team round those two as they are an excellent threat on the flanks.

We should be looking to mould a team round those two as they are an excellent threat on the flanks.

Hard to drop Whittaker after his last 2 performances but I'd hope Lee can push him.

Gordon

Hutton McManus Berra Wallace/Whittaker

Brown D Fletcher

McCormack.................... McFadden

That's a core of 9 players (with 2 choices at right back) that I think can see us ok. Then there's Maloney, S Fletcher, G O'Connor, Mulgrew, Naismith, Morrison - i don't actually dislike Miller and think he's got a couple of years left in him for us.

We need to find a centre forward and another strong midfielder, but that squad doesn't look too bad for me - pretty young, still developing, but let's see what the SFA do about a manager. If they get rid of Burley which Im not sure they should, they MUST get it right.

He was completely ball watching when Weir miscued his header. The Dutch boy anticipated it, meanwhile Hutton was sitting on his heels.

Mulgrew should never get near a Scotland squad. Yeah he cen take a good free kick now and again but he can not defend and is prone for stupid mistakes. Just like the rest of the Aberdeen defence.

At left back you need a left footed player. You are also prone to get caught out positionally if a right footed player is playing at left back. Although Whittaker did a good job last night and I rate him as a good player however he is more suited to right back than left.

Wallace should be in the squad with Dixon not far behind him even though I do not see much of him.

Mulgrew should never get near a Scotland squad. Yeah he cen take a good free kick now and again but he can not defend and is prone for stupid mistakes. Just like the rest of the Aberdeen defence.

Absolutely agree with that, defensively shocking IMO.

Sorry - only relevant fact is that Burley had to go with experience for last 2 matches. That alone ruled Wallace out. If inexperienced players had made the Weir/Hutton error GB would've been crucified.

I think alot of people are doing Whittaker a disservice, I don't think we have anyone else available that could have matched his performance levels in that last two games, which is especially impressive as LB isn't his favoured position.

I don't think there is a great deal in terms of ability between Wallace, Dixon and Mulgrew - not enough to convince me that Wallace should definately be in the squad anyway.

Is he due in court soon? I'd imagine his off field issues might cause him to fall down the pecking order if so.

I don't rate either player that highly - yes they are OK going forward, but very dodgy defensively. To me it's more important that defenders know how to stop their opponents scoring rather than set up the opportunities at the other end. To that end, I'm not sure Wallace is the answer either. As for Mulgrew, he can hit a dead ball, but that's about the full extent of his ability.

Archived