What now for Scotland?

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

May I first say good effort from the team, we matched Holland throughout but unfortunatly they are a better team who could take their chances and we did not, simple as.

So, it has been 11 years since Scotland last played in a major International competition. And it will be another three years (at least) before we can reach another. That means that in that time we have missed out on six international touraments. If you take it since 1990 (i.e. the last 20 years) than that makes Scotland attending 3 touraments out of 11.

Put quite simply, Scotland is doing something wrong and it needs to be fixed if we want to qualify.

So what should happen?

My view is that the SFA needs to have a serious look at the running of Scottish football. They have been happy to point to the manager when we dont succeed and hide from blame but the manager can only do so much. The SFA have to take a great deal of portion for the blame.

- Scottish players are not skillful.

- Scotland favour experence over skill

- Referees too easy on OF players meaning they pick up silly fouls in interntational.

- A duolpoly in the main league which stifles any attempt for clubs to challenege.

- No Scots in a major league outside Britain.

- The SFA treating employees poorly.

- The SFA resisting major reform

and so on

What concerns me is that the current under 21's and 19's are no exactly setting the heather on fire. Heads need to roll at the top brass and Scottish football needs to get into the 21st century.

May I first say good effort from the team, we matched Holland throughout but unfortunatly they are a better team who could take their chances and we did not, simple as.

So, it has been 11 years since Scotland last played in a major International competition. And it will be another three years (at least) before we can reach another. That means that in that time we have missed out on six international touraments. If you take it since 1990 (i.e. the last 20 years) than that makes Scotland attending 3 touraments out of 11.

Put quite simply, Scotland is doing something wrong and it needs to be fixed if we want to qualify.

So what should happen?

My view is that the SFA needs to have a serious look at the running of Scottish football. They have been happy to point to the manager when we dont succeed and hide from blame but the manager can only do so much. The SFA have to take a great deal of portion for the blame.

- Referees too easy on OF players meaning they pick up silly fouls in interntational.

- A duolpoly in the main league which stifles any attempt for clubs to challenege.

and so on

I think the question is why change hasn't occurred even though all of this has been so obvious for 20+ years. The people at the top either don't have the will or the ability to change the system. Therefore people out with the organisation need to take it upon themselves to form a resistance and campaign for change.

It is obvious to me that 3 bodies trying to run football is just a joke. Finger pointing is all we get. The demise of International football is akin to the demise of the clubs.

Need to strat again from scratch and have no more than 10 major teams in Scotland as I have said a hundred times before. Think of what we are giving our grandchildren!

For a start give wee Gordon the job.

It is obvious to me that 3 bodies trying to run football is just a joke. Finger pointing is all we get. The demise of International football is akin to the demise of the clubs.

Need to strat again from scratch and have no more than 10 major teams in Scotland as I have said a hundred times before. Think of what we are giving our grandchildren!

For a start give wee Gordon the job.

There are FIVE bodies running Scottish football... You forgot the OF.:th_o:

So what should happen?

and so on

I wouldn't disagree with that - but one point to bear in mind, is that a big factor in Scotland's failure to qualify for tournaments in the last 20 years is down to the fact that there are quite a few more countries standing in our way, following the break up of the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia (Croatia and Ukraine being just 2 examples).

Youngsters coming through need to be playing more 5 a sides to improve their first touch and control.

Our players lack those basics which come naturally to the likes of the Dutch.

11 a sides should be outlawed until kids turn 15 at least.

OK which people? How do we get rid of the 3 bodies ruling and have just one?

Maybe people like Murray and Ferguson feel some responsibility and can act, they SHOULD anyway. An English asked me what "SFA" stood for........!

There are FIVE bodies running Scottish football... You forgot the OF.:th_o:

Yes indeed I agree. Quelle joke.

Fozzyonthefence

As Ronald de Boer said tonight on Sky, we get it wrong from the bottom up, starting with the kids. We are more concerned with wining trophies at 10 years old than actually teaching them the basic football skills. But people have been saying this for years and we don't seem to learn.

Whatever came out of the Ernie Walker thinktank other than some more freebies for the suits?

As Ronald de Boer said tonight on Sky, we get it wrong from the bottom up, starting with the kids. We are more concerned with wining trophies at 10 years old than actually teaching them the basic football skills. But people have been saying this for years and we don't seem to learn.

Whatever came out of the Ernie Walker thinktank other than some more freebies for the suits?

You need brains to be able to think! However now is the time for serious action. It is becoming rediculous, bad enough the clubs are a laughing stock but at least can blame lack of money. Not so with Scotland!

I am embarrassed now.

You need brains to be able to think! However now is the time for serious action. It is becoming rediculous, bad enough the clubs are a laughing stock but at least can blame lack of money. Not so with Scotland!

I am embarrassed now.

the whole country needs to use the feeling of embarrassment that we all share to rid the country of the suits that run the game and fill these positions with people who understand football and don't have a separate agenda. I feel Sir Alex would be the sort of guy who could make the changes we need.

We need to rethink everything about our 'national game.' Why are we so far behind other nations? It seems every nation is improving but we're not.

We can't go on blaming the manager and changing for another one....who'll still be faced with the same problems/*****. Something has to change.

If the Scot Govt gets involved and takes control over football clearing the SFA old farts club, then why not. There is far too much talk and inaction from the idiots at Hampden.

Rotten to the core. Who is George Peat? Who is Gordon Smith? Who is in charge? Where is the strategy? Get them to feck.

jamboinglasgow
the whole country needs to use the feeling of embarrassment that we all share to rid the country of the suits that run the game and fill these positions with people who understand football and don't have a separate agenda. I feel Sir Alex would be the sort of guy who could make the changes we need.

maybe, but I feel we may need a foregin manager, possibly even dutch. Possibly a team of experts from countries which have succesful youth development and national teams. So they can bring in widespread changings to make things better.

What next?

Sack Burley, appoint another OF favouriteas new manager, pick the same old ageing, gash players, fail miserably in the next campaign, rinse, repeat.

The real problem is Glasgow. We need to break free.

Everything is based there and everything revolves around that.

The OF must always win and the duopoly must continue.

We must have a weegie ref supervisor and refs must always come from that area to ensure they get every advantage going.

All SFA/ SPL staff must come from the weegie area.

All big games, even if they involve the Ugly sisters, must be reffed by a ref from the weegie area to protect the staus quo even if it offends the laws of fair competiton.

Is it not about time we made our national associations national instead of weegie. The staus quo is not working. We need fair competition and I'm not sure we have that.

alwaysthereinspirit
The real problem is Glasgow. We need to break free.

Everything is based there and everything revolves around that.

The OF must always win and the duopoly must continue.

We must have a weegie ref supervisor and refs must always come from that area to ensure they get every advantage going.

All SFA/ SPL staff must come from the weegie area.

All big games, even if they involve the Ugly sisters, must be reffed by a ref from the weegie area to protect the staus quo even if it offends the laws of fair competiton.

Is it not about time we made our national associations national instead of weegie. The staus quo is not working. We need fair competition and I'm not sure we have that.

The fact we dont at least have a national football stadium in our countries capital says a lot about our association and what they really stand for.

As usual the talk turns to how we need small sized games or non competitive games for youngsters or how the blazers are failing. My personal moan is about how teams like Hearts buy journeyman players from abroad rather than giving young Scottish talent more experience in European football when we get it.

But the key thing is to get the best out of the players we have.

- stop falling out with key players - it is as ridiculous that Laszlo is keeping Kingston out of the Hearts team that Boyd and Ferguson were not in the squad last night - manage the small group of players we have better

- end the indiscipline - there was a thread on here congratulating Obua for celebrating with the fans after a goal last week - McFadden continually gets booked for stupid things - and last night Hartley and Naismith were booked for throwing the ball away after the whistle - brainless when we have so few players

- make us hard to beat - follow the Craig Brown, Walter Smith, Alex McLeish model of making us defensively strong - Burley played far too open during the campaign

- get the Caldwell sisters out of the squad

There needs to be wide scale changes within Scottish Football but will it happen? Probably not. I do think people are starting to notice that the SFA are one of the main reasons why we have become glorious failures.

However Burley and the players need to take the flak as well. Burley for picking the wrong team, not just in Qualifiers but in Friendlies too. Why Berra was given something like 20 mins international football then had to start away to Holland is just one huge mistake Burley made. He could have gave Berra a chance at International level knowing things like injuries, suspensions etc would play a part in the Qualifiers. Did he think to give the likes of Berra a half at least? No he decided to play the likes of Weir and Caldwell again, when we all know what these players can do!

And why did the players not put in the same effort they did for half the Macedonia game and the Holland game for the rest of the campaign. There was obviously a lot of behind the scenes nonsense going on within the Scotland camp. Mainly involving Rangers players but other were involved as well. However this again comes back to Burley who should have shown them who was boss so to speak. Although for players to be getting smashed during important Qualifiers in the teams hotel, you know that these people are not really clued up in life.

The campaign wasn't lost last night - it was lost, IMO, the two games vs. Norway. As usual, we left ourselves with too much to do against the really good team.

I hope the GFA don't sack Burley, as has been stated, we got better as the campaign went on. If we get yet another old squirm sycophant then we can kiss (what looked like a squad with some heart last night) goodbye and look forward to the same old pish.

I do not know about us getting better as the campaign went on. A four nil drubbing off Norway with two games remaining, then a game and a half of playing well against Macedonia and Holland. Maybe we got better as the campaign finished; i.e. The last game and a half, certainly not better as the campaign got on.

Archived