Scotlands Defence

PsychocAndy

As much as I was happy with the win today, I thought our defence was shocking. Two Bombscares at CH and two LBs that are not the best Scottish players in that position. If it was not for Craig Gordon today we would have been battered.

Can you imagine how Holland will be on Wednesday with Davie (5 years younger than me) Weir and Stephen (played the same amount of Celtic league games this season as me, and I'm 44) McManus facing them.

Fear not we have Gary (bombscarers bombscare) Caldwell back then. Oh flip.

I said it on another thread but whilst you might argue that we didn't have our best full backs on the pitch (though I thought that they probably are among the best available) who do we have that can realistically come in at CH? I can't think of many decent Scottish CH's full stop.

Erm, Weir had a great game.

Considering Pandev has both pace and strength. I thought he did very well.

Would never call it bombscare, Mcmanarse wasnt match fit. That much was clear.

They did fine imo, am I alone in thinking that?

On another note, does Lee Wallace need to suck someone off to get into the ****ing squad? Seriously, Callum bloody Davidson.

Two Bombscares at CH and two LBs that are not the best Scottish players in that position.

[quote name=LPjambo91;1214538

On another note' date=' does Lee Wallace need to suck someone off to get into the ****ing squad? Seriously, Callum bloody Davidson.[/quote]

Funny that's what I was thinking.

Erm, Weir had a great game.

Big Davie is not a young man anymore he was to tight on the forwards and played most of the game running towards our goal. With his experience he should have thought of another way to play the forwards.

Funny that's what I was thinking.

Tbh, Everyone bar Burley is thinking that. Its really getting on my nerves now!

Big Davie is not a young man anymore he was to tight on the forwards and played most of the game running towards our goal. With his experience he should have thought of another way to play the forwards.

You know, I didnt think he got turned to often. We had a few shakey moments on the counter attack. But other than that, I found him to be solid. Better than the Caldwells anyway.

EDIT: Gives away far fewer fouls too!

I thought Hutton and Whittaker were two of our best players today(along with Gordon, Brown and Faddy(in second half)). And both need to start vs Holland if we are going to have a chance. Weir Mcmanus and Davidson looked dodgy, Weir played a bit better second half. The CB is the worrying position for wednesday

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Weir - when the only way you can stop your man is by fouling him it's probably time to accept your getting on a bit and hang up the boots. Doesn't help if your an absolute cretin.

McManus - total huddy. Not sure who is worse out of him and Caldwell mind you but McManus is laughably bad on the ball and is almost as slow as Weir yet he is about 35 years younger.

Hutton - Played well I thought, attacked like he did during the Euro campaign.

Davidson - God knows why is being selected but his hammy was done today so he's thankfully out.

Whittaker - Changed the game for us, attacked well and him and McFadden worked brilliantly together in the 2nd half. Very good performance considering he was out of position and has little experience at international level.

Wallace - This campaign is to early for him I think. Next one will be his time.

Weir - when the only way you can stop your man is by fouling him it's probably time to accept your getting on a bit and hang up the boots. Doesn't help if your an absolute cretin.

Dont have the stats. But how many fouls and freekicks did Weir give away? I would bet it was a low number.

Much rather see him on than Barr.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Dont have the stats. But how many fouls and freekicks did Weir give away? I would bet it was a low number.

Much rather see him on than Barr.

I counted about 4 in the first 10 minutes.

He will get torn to shreds on Wednesday, just watch.

I said it on another thread but whilst you might argue that we didn't have our best full backs on the pitch (though I thought that they probably are among the best available) who do we have that can realistically come in at CH? I can't think of many decent Scottish CH's full stop.

First the LB I give you Lee Wallace

Second the CBs you have just given me nightmares.

I would more than likely keep Davie and swap McAnus with Caldwell, :21:nurse where is my medicine. I would just like Davie to think about defending more than rely on his pace, which is decreasing with age.

It's to big a game against an outstanding team to throw in to inexperienced CBs

I remember a Liverpool v Everton game with teenage Michael Owen against veteran Richard Gough and Gough read the game perfectly and Owen never got a sniff. Thats the type of thing I want Davie to do.

I counted about 4 in the first 10 minutes.

He will get torn to shreds on Wednesday, just watch.

Oh, I have no doubt. The likes of Huntelaar, Robben and Kuyt will provide something different for a 39 year old :laugh:

What im saying is that he did a good job today. Didnt get himself sent off for repeated fouling of a striker. Didnt concede silly freekicks infront of goal.

I might not even watch on wednesday. I know it will be excruciating. :2thumbsup:

The Old Tolbooth
I thought Hutton and Whittaker were two of our best players today(along with Gordon, Brown and Faddy(in second half)). And both need to start vs Holland if we are going to have a chance. Weir Mcmanus and Davidson looked dodgy, Weir played a bit better second half. The CB is the worrying position for wednesday

That's exactly the way I saw it too mate, I thought our very lucky break was Davidson getting injured and Whittaker coming on, he offered something were not used to with Davidson in the team.

Wednesday night is a whole different kettle of fish though and I'm hoping the Dutch are not really too bothered as they have already won the group.

Thought our centre backs were shown up because Alexander in front of them

was bloody awful - Hartley should have been on from the start imo

Thought our centre backs were shown up because Alexander in front of them

was bloody awful - Hartley should have been on from the start imo

Sometimes i fail to see how well a holding midfielder does. as alot of the time his main job is being in positions that doesn't allow a striker dropping off or a CM running through, so unless you see him cutting out passes.tackling etc you dont't see the other work he does. but would agree here, i didnt think he did much and would think Hartley would be a better option. and better still, would think Fletcher would be the best option.

Archived