Well done Scotland!

The Puppeteer

The Puppeteer

And well done George Burley. That second half more than matched anything I saw under McLeish or Smith. Incisive attacking football played at a high tempo, that's what George is all about, it's just a shame it's taken till today for it to click with Scotland. Also a shame that McFadden is suspended for a bizarre yellow card.

But **** it. So long as the lads put in a performance like they did in the second half today then we'll have a chance. And I hope that'll be enough to see George keep his job and take Scotland into the Euro qualifiers.

Nucky Thompson

I'll echo that:smiley2: Only because I was waiting on them for my fixed odds, my 3 other teams were 2 up at half time. It's the most convincing my fixed odds have been for ages. Two 2 nils and two 3 nils:smiley2:

McLeish and Smith are meant to have done great jobs.

Remind me which Euro championships or world cups we qualified for under they two?

Burley was unlucky against both Norway and Holland away from home whe we missed good chances at 0-0 before being taken apart.

Son Of Anarchy

Great second half performance from the boys.Im worried tho as will be without JM for the Holland game and hes the best we have.His goal today was superb:10900:

And well done George Burley. That second half more than matched anything I saw under McLeish or Smith. Incisive attacking football played at a high tempo, that's what George is all about, it's just a shame it's taken till today for it to click with Scotland. Also a shame that McFadden is suspended for a bizarre yellow card.

But **** it. So long as the lads put in a performance like they did in the second half today then we'll have a chance. And I hope that'll be enough to see George keep his job and take Scotland into the Euro qualifiers.

We saw glimpses of it against Iceland as well to be fair. However it will most likely be Burley's undoing than anything else.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Think you've nailed it.

The 2nd half is what Burley has in his mind when he sends the team out, the 1st half is what usually happens for some reason.

We are going to have to be a bit tighter against the Dutch though. McFadden is a massive loss.

The ****ing media should lay off the guy now and get behind the team for Wednesday.

Think you've nailed it.

The 2nd half is what Burley has in his mind when he sends the team out, the 1st half is what usually happens for some reason.

We are going to have to be a bit tighter against the Dutch though. McFadden is a massive loss.

The ****ing media should lay off the guy now and get behind the team for Wednesday.

Was good to hear Mcfadden sticking up for him at full time

I agree. I thought we played some good football in a very open second half and didn't get any more silly bookings. I just hope we've saved our best night in front of goal for the Dutch because I think we'll have to score more than 1 to win.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Was good to hear Mcfadden sticking up for him at full time

McFadden is one of the good guys and hasn't been brainwashed by the Old Firm. That's what happens if you are ambitious and decide to ply your trade at a higher level.

If it wasn't for ****ing Brown he would be playing on Wednesday.

McFadden is one of the good guys and hasn't been brainwashed by the Old Firm. That's what happens if you are ambitious and decide to ply your trade at a higher level.

If it wasn't for ****ing Brown he would be playing on Wednesday.

It's weird how he can be so good for Scotland yet finds himself playing at Birmingham. Was he really that bad at Everton? Is Birmingham really his level? I can't pretend I saw him play a lot for Everton, but he got a few goals, and one spectacular one in particular.

McLeish and Smith are meant to have done great jobs.

Remind me which Euro championships or world cups we qualified for under they two?

Burley was unlucky against both Norway and Holland away from home whe we missed good chances at 0-0 before being taken apart.

To be fair to McLeish, last time round we were in a group with the two world cup finalists and a quarter finalist (Ukraine). We beat France home and away and came very close to qualifying.

In terms of our group this time around, I'm not sure Burley could have been handed an easier group if he'd picked the teams himself.

The second half performance today was easily the best of the campaign but some of the previous performances and results in this campaign have been nothing short of disgraceful.

Think you've nailed it.

Yep :2thumbsup:

I believe our all round play has been getting better under GB, apart from the wheels coming off the bogey in Norway of course.

Why exactly did Faddie get booked by the way ?

To be fair to McLeish, last time round we were in a group with the two world cup finalists and a quarter finalist (Ukraine). We beat France home and away and came very close to qualifying.

In terms of our group this time around, I'm not sure Burley could have been handed an easier group if he'd picked the teams himself.

The second half performance today was easily the best of the campaign but some of the previous performances and results in this campaign have been nothing short of disgraceful.

I still think the majority of people underrate Norway and overrate Scotland. I said when the draw was made i'd be surprised if we finished above Norway

keithyboy1975

as a nation we always think we are better than others, we always underestimate "smaller" nations and ultimately end up wi egg on our faces.

The Puppeteer
It's weird how he can be so good for Scotland yet finds himself playing at Birmingham. Was he really that bad at Everton? Is Birmingham really his level? I can't pretend I saw him play a lot for Everton, but he got a few goals, and one spectacular one in particular.

I think Moyes has said he regretted selling McFadden. And I think part of the problem has also been that he's not really established himself in any particular position. Even today he was playing wide for some of the match then playing off Miller for the rest.

jambos are go!
as a nation we always think we are better than others, we always underestimate "smaller" nations and ultimately end up wi egg on our faces.

A nation of dismal jimmies never underestimates anyone. Negativity not over optimism is the main trait of the Scots nation.

Anyway well done to the team. As with Zagreb they are not as good as you think they are when you impose your own style on the game.

The Puppeteer

Yes, there's no doubt we've not performed as well as the previous campaign or that we've had an easier group. But let's face it, the challenge with Scotland isn't lifting ourselves for the big games, it's picking up the points in the smaller ones. We had some tremendous results and performances in the last campaign but ultimately it was a shocking performance against Georgia that cost us.

Burley's reign so far has been plagued by bad luck and various other problems that I needn't go into. He's tried to get the team playing more attacking football and at last we've seen the fruits of that effort today. Unfortunately it might be too late. Perhaps being in the smaller group and playing fewer games has hindered our development even further. But for the miss in the first match against Norway and the sending off in the second we should be in a far stronger position than we are now. And neither of those are Burley's fault.

MacDonald Jardine
A nation of dismal jimmies never underestimates anyone. Negativity not over optimism is the main trait of the Scots nation.

Anyway well done to the team. As with Zagreb they are not as good as you think they are when you impose your own style on the game.

In a way.

The normal attitude is "we can't even beat the likes of Macedonia/ Norway etc etc. We must be ****e."

I think Moyes has said he regretted selling McFadden. And I think part of the problem has also been that he's not really established himself in any particular position. Even today he was playing wide for some of the match then playing off Miller for the rest.

Good point, imo his best position is playing behind the striker(s) in a sort of free role however thats not a position you really see that much these days

Archived