Trade deal helps release Lockerbie bomber

Doctor FinnBarr

Doctor FinnBarr

As on the news right now, Jack Straw involved!

The resignations with this one could be massive if true.

:10900:

As on the news right now, Jack Straw involved!

The resignations with this one could be massive if true.

:10900:

what was said?

Letters leaked to a newspaper show Mr Straw agreed not to exclude him from a prisoner transfer deal in 2007 because of "overwhelming national interests".

According to the Sunday Times, Mr Straw wrote to his Scottish counterpart Kenny MacAskill on 19 December 2007, six weeks before an oil exploration contract for BP in Libya was ratified.

The letter said: "I had previously accepted the importance of the al-Megrahi issue to Scotland and said I would try to get an exclusion for him on the face of the agreement. I have not been able to secure an explicit exclusion.

"The wider negotiations with the Libyans are reaching a critical stage and, in view of the overwhelming interests for the UK, I have agreed that in this instance the [PTA] should be in the standard form and not mention any individual."

Apparently there has been leaked letters that were 2 years old by the Gov claiming it was in the UK's 'overwhelming' interest to put the bomber up for release.

not really a surprise, i think the vast majority of people know why he was released.(oil) i just hope someones head will roll for it, i dont care how many barrells of oil is in libya needing explored, there is no way that murdering **** bag should ever have been let out. FACT

Drew Busby !

Even Alan Cochrane, who hates Holyrood and the SNP in equal measure, tells it like it is...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/scotland/6115919/Lockerbie-bomber-compassionate-release-was-not-part-of-international-game.html

"There clearly was a prisoner transfer deal connected with oil business and Megrahi was obviously a part of it but those issues are for Gordon Brown and his Cabinet to answer, not Messrs Salmond and MacAskill."

Geoff Kilpatrick
Even Alan Cochrane, who hates Holyrood and the SNP in equal measure, tells it like it is...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/scotland/6115919/Lockerbie-bomber-compassionate-release-was-not-part-of-international-game.html

"There clearly was a prisoner transfer deal connected with oil business and Megrahi was obviously a part of it but those issues are for Gordon Brown and his Cabinet to answer, not Messrs Salmond and MacAskill."

Quite so.

This is what happens when people like Brown go into hiding. The hacks sniff round and, given the state that Labour have got themselves into, a story will come out.

They are goosed.

This is a no brainer.

I'm only confused as to what the Scottish Government could have been offered by London.

:th_o:

Geoff Kilpatrick
This is a no brainer.

I'm only confused as to what the Scottish Government could have been offered by London.

:th_o:

Less painful spending cuts is my guess.

That is politics for you. Cannot say I am surprised. As soon as it happened I said oil was behind it.

But the same people who are saying heads should roll are the same ones who will probably happily fill up their gas guzzling motors and complain when the price of fuel goes up - cannot have it all ways.

Archived