1 member has voted

1. 1. Best Rocky?

• I
    • II
    • III
    • IV
    • V
    • Rocky Balboa

Everyone knows that the Rocky films are easily the greatest thing ever to happen to the universe, however what is the best one?

For me I would still go for the original, although Rocky IV comes close...

Rocky III for me.

Clubber Lang

clubber_lang3.jpg

Controversial. I would choose Balboa and perhaps Rocky 2 ahead of it...

Say What Again
Controversial. I would choose Balboa and perhaps Rocky 2 ahead of it...

I based the vote purely on the Lang character. If I was to give a more honest assessment, the original Rocky is the best film in the series.

It's certainly not Rocky V that's for sure!

I based the vote purely on the Lang character. If I was to give a more honest assessment, the original Rocky is the best film in the series.

It's certainly not Rocky V that's for sure!

I included Rocky V for completeness but was hoping noone would mention it :(

Did you know in the new Knockout Kings you can fight against Tommy Gunn? I was tempted to buy a PS3 just for that reason...

Say What Again
Did you know in the new Knockout Kings you can fight against Tommy Gunn? I was tempted to buy a PS3 just for that reason...

haha, buy it and beat the crap out of him constantly.

haha, buy it and beat the crap out of him constantly.

:2thumbsup:

I just remembered i have the Rocky game on the PS2 so could be doing it just now!

Stewart MacD

I thought The Undefeated was rather good, while Taza, Son of Cochise is largely ignored.

Victor Mancini

wheres the st johnstone option???

quite proud that i've only seen bits of them and never watched one all the way through.

quite proud that i've only seen bits of them and never watched one all the way through.

:nah:

Bert Le Clos

Anything after Rockky III is a complete waste of time IMO. They shold have ended the series there.

Carl Spackler

Rocky received ten Academy Awards nominations in nine categories, winning three:[24]

Best Picture (Robert Chartoff and Irwin Winkler) (won)

Best Director (John G. Avildsen) (won)

Film Editing (Richard Halsey and Scott Conrad) (won)

Best Original Screenplay (Sylvester Stallone)

Best Actor (Sylvester Stallone)

Best Actress (Talia Shire)

Best Supporting Actor (Burt Young)

Best Supporting Actor (Burgess Meredith)

Best Music, Original Song (Bill Conti, Carol Connors and Ayn Robbins for "Gonna Fly Now")

Best Sound (Harry W. Tetrick, William L. McCaughey, Lyle J. Burbridge and Bud Alper)

Rocky has also appeared on several of the American Film Institute's 100 Years lists.

AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies, number 78.[25]

AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies (10th Anniversary Edition), number 57.[26]

AFI's 100 Years... 100 Cheers, number 4.[27]

AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movie Quotes number 80: "Yo, Adrian!".[28]

AFI's 100 Years... 100 Heroes and Villains Heroes number 7: Rocky Balboa.[29]

AFI's 100 Years... 100 Thrills #52

AFI's 10 Top 10: Sports #2

AFI's 100 Years... 100 Songs number 58 Gonna Fly Now

The Directors Guild of America awarded Rocky its annual award for best film of the year in 1976, and in 2006, Sylvester Stallone's original screenplay for Rocky was selected for the Writers Guild of America Award as the 78th best screenplay of all time.[30]

So do you just not like films in general then?

I voted 3 & 4, although they are all good up until # 4.

Apollo makes the series.

You don't like Rocky Balboa?

OK lets finish this love fest. The Rocky movies are the biggest load of pish, starring possibly the worst actor ever.

Carl Weathers
You don't like Rocky Balboa?

It was pretty good, much better than 5. The best bit is when he builds 'hurtin' bombs'.

maroondoonhamer
OK lets finish this love fest. The Rocky movies are the biggest load of pish, starring possibly the worst actor ever.

Pacifistic post imo

Naw! Lets summarise the plots here. Brain damaged second rate heavy weight wins world championship, then goes on to save civilization. There we go, that took less than two lines and not a whole career in the movies to do. Tried to watch the first Rocky film, after 20 minutes in the pictures, I realised that I was missing out on valuble drinking time!

Carl Weathers
Naw! Lets summarise the plots here. Brain damaged second rate heavy weight wins world championship, then goes on to save civilization. There we go, that took less than two lines and not a whole career in the movies to do. Tried to watch the first Rocky film, after 20 minutes in the pictures, I realised that I was missing out on valuble drinking time!

He didn't actually save civilisation - just win the championship. :smiley2:

There is far more to the plot than purely boxing as well. It's about working hard to acheive your dreams and overcoming adversity.

And mad Russians'... :stuart:

I'm in no way snobby about films, its just that there are much better movies dealing with overcoming the **** that life deals out. That said I still stand by my opinion about Sly's lack of acting talent.

maroondoonhamer

I agree sly's acting talent isn't the greatest but I think the style, or lack of, is what makes him suited to playing a punch drunk boxer. A bit like arnie being so wooden is what made him suited to playing a cyborg in terminator and sequels. (And before some smart erse points out a cyborg's made of metal and not wood, I'm aware of the fact thanks!!)

Ryan Gosling

Rocky IV is outstanding. As someone else said, he defeats communism FFS.

In Rocky III, he defeats black America - that's racist.

Victor Mancini

So do you just not like films in general then?

I'm in no way snobby about films, its just that there are much better movies dealing with overcoming the **** that life deals out. That said I still stand by my opinion about Sly's lack of acting talent.

sorry mate but i love a GOOD film, not overated pash, the hardest thing bout trying to watch a rocky movie is putting up with sly stallone total erchie of a man.

bob hits the nail on the head with his 2 comments above.

Rocky IV is outstanding. As someone else said, he defeats communism FFS.

Not just that but it has two fights and three training montages.

Ryan Gosling
Not just that but it has two fights and three training montages.

Not to mention wood chopping, running in the snow and a beard.

Carl Weathers

Ludmilla: You call him a killer. He's a professional fighter, not a killer. We are getting death threats. We are not involved in politics. All I want is for my husband to be safe, and to be treated fairly. You have this belief that you are better than us. You have this belief that this country is so very good and we are so very bad. You have this belief that you are so fair and we are so very cruel.

Awesome.

anti rags to riches to rags post IMO

chester copperpot

Rocky movies in sequence (Best to worst)

Rocky

Rocky IV

Rocky II

Rocky III

Rocky Balboa

Rocky V

So the people who organise the Oscars dont know anything about acting?

Greedy_Jambo

They're all good but i actually quite liked the one where he battered that tommy in the street.

I can't decide between III and IV, both top drawer. The training montages in IV are superb, but III has Clubber Lang and the emotional rollercoaster of Mickey's death. Might watch one tonight actually.....

I can't decide between III and IV, both top drawer. The training montages in IV are superb, but III has Clubber Lang and the emotional rollercoaster of Mickey's death. Might watch one tonight actually.....

Ah but IV has Drago and Apollo's death... (which i thought was a lot sadder than Mickey's)

Optimus Prime

Rocky

Rocky II

Rocky IV

Rocky III

Rocky Balboa

Rocky V

rocky.jpg

was rocky up against the godfather the year that it won the best picture oscar?

im sure someone told me that.

was rocky up against the godfather the year that it won the best picture oscar?

im sure someone told me that.

the godfather came out '72 and won best picture, rocky came out '76 and won best picture.

Jambojohnnyboy

Rocky IV for all the reasons mentioned previously and the Eagle Eye Action Man look. Years before GI Joe, he had Action Man down!

Rocky

Rocky II

Rocky IV

Rocky III

Rocky Balboa

Rocky V

rocky.jpg

Mine would be

Rocky

Rocky IV

Rocky Balboa

Rocky III

Rocky II

Rocky V

II and III are pretty much joint though.

Archived