Expectations

Goodfella

Following Hearts' less than impressive start to the new season, I was wondering how fellow fans expectations have possibly dropped due to the dissapointing start?

Personally I don't feel that the negativity that has surrounded the club in the last week is compeletely justified, I still think we have a strong squad and that the new signings may have a bigger impact than is being questioned at the moment.

However, the ongoing striker situation is definately a worry and if it was addressed before the window I would be a happier man...the injury situation has been a bit frustrating to start with this season, not to mention silly suspensions, which have all led to us not seeing the best team available to us.

There seemed to be a few posters on here pre season who felt we could have perhaps pushed the Old Firm closer this season, something I thought might have been an outside possibility, however I feel fans should probably lower expectations slightly to a top 3/4 finish, which would be considered a successful season in my opinion.

Dundee Utd and Hibs would be early contenders to challenge us for the Euro places, although I still feel we have as good a squad if not better than those two, it's just a matter of having the personnel fit and raring to go, the combination of Driver and Suso down the wings in particular could be vital to scoring more goals, and could provide a solution to the striker situation, with better/more frequent delivery, surely even Nade might score even one goal:P

David McCaig

Its been a bad 10 days but I would still expect 3rd place, my hopes of Europa League qualification have receeded considerably though.

Realistically, though if we'd started with two draws, the majority of us would be fairly happy, obviously that hasn't happened but in golfing terms we are probably only 2 points over par.

The key thing is getting the season back on track this Sunday against St Johnstone, assuming the players arent too tired after the glorious 5-0 AET win over Zagreb!!!

Csaba's Broon Shoes

3rd , League Cup Final , Scottish Cup Final get pumped oot of Europa

Sign another couple of Lithuanians before the window closes

grumpyespana
Following Hearts' less than impressive start to the new season, I was wondering how fellow fans expectations have possibly dropped due to the dissapointing start?

Personally I don't feel that the negativity that has surrounded the club in the last week is compeletely justified, I still think we have a strong squad and that the new signings may have a bigger impact than is being questioned at the moment.

However, the ongoing striker situation is definately a worry and if it was addressed before the window I would be a happier man...the injury situation has been a bit frustrating to start with this season, not to mention silly suspensions, which have all led to us not seeing the best team available to us.

There seemed to be a few posters on here pre season who felt we could have perhaps pushed the Old Firm closer this season, something I thought might have been an outside possibility, however I feel fans should probably lower expectations slightly to a top 3/4 finish, which would be considered a successful season in my opinion.

Dundee Utd and Hibs would be early contenders to challenge us for the Euro places, although I still feel we have as good a squad if not better than those two, it's just a matter of having the personnel fit and raring to go, the combination of Driver and Suso down the wings in particular could be vital to scoring more goals, and could provide a solution to the striker situation, with better/more frequent delivery, surely even Nade might score even one goal:P

Good call until you mentioned Nade.

Grumpy.

ernie winchester

It seems you've read my mind sir!

I got carried away in pre season. We signed a few players and I thought with a Csaba having a full preseason we would have a chance to close the gap on the OF.

How wrong I was. What I should have focused on was the fact we had lost our two best players in Bruno and Karipidis and experience in Neilson. Bruno,s delivery from set pieces will especially be a miss. Then it is turning out the players we signed are not that good and with the exception of Black will take time to settle. But worst of all, never in my wildest dreams did I expect us to go the to the end of the transfer window and not sign a striker. Taking these facts together, we will struggle to finish 3rd and therefore targetting the top six and then seeing if we can finish third is the best we can do.

Injury problems are making me even more pessimistic. However, there are some positives. Obua and Jose are going to contribute this season and we have Driver and Kingston to come back, although I am past getting excited about Larry. When you boil it all down though it comes to this; we will get better at the back soon, but how are we going to score enough goals to not be mid-table??

It's going to be an interesting season, watching the youngsters come through and, hopefully, succeeding. But we will need to get used to inconsistency and crap performances from time to time.

I had hoped that a couple of strikers would put us in a position to push the OF. As it stands we must hope for a top 6 finish, perhaps 4th or 5th. It will be galling if Hibs finish above us though - and they might !

Nucky Thompson

I expect us to finish well above Hubz in 3rd place with them being 6th. Although they won their 2 easy league games, they were by all accounts really pish. I also expect us to reach a Cup final.

if laszlo keeps playing nade could be a bleak season time will tell reckon gary glen is a much better and more mobile option

Victor Mancini

hopefully 3rd,

defo top 6 theres been too much made of the fact we lost 3 games in a week against decent sides,

would liked to have made the europa league but the draw wasn't kind to us

I'd be happy with 4th place and winning the diddy cup.

I think united have a good squad this season and with there fire power will probably take 3rd but can't see anyone else in the league that is even close to being as strong as us(Outwith the old firm and united)this is why i think we will finish 4th and why we should finish atleast 4th.

I also feel it's about time we won the League(diddy)cup although loads of fans say I'ts a wee cup I'ts worthless etc etc...I do not agree silverware is silverware and i would love to win some this year and feel this is our best chance of winning some as it is disregarded by every club in our league as the dud cup even hibs won it a couple of years ago ffs so were definately capable of winning it we should be really trying to win this as we havent won it for a while either.

I would also like to see a few youngsters making the breakthrough this year which looks likely now because of injurys to our more experienced players can't wait for temps to get better and Craig Thompson,Arvydas Novikovas,Gary Glen,Gordon Smith,Stephen Husband,Scott Robinson and Johnny Stewart all to get more game time this season and show that the future is bright The Futures Maroon.

Archived