Home Cinema System (sort of)

Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

I was looking to get a sort of home cinema system set up...dont want one with a dvd player, just speakers and stuff.

Am I better to buy seperates and how much should I look to spend on the lot?

Thanks

Why not just plug your TV into your stereo and move the speakers? Thats what i did, works great and all you'll need to buy is a rca cable.

I was looking to get a sort of home cinema system set up...dont want one with a dvd player, just speakers and stuff.

Thanks

grab yourself a copy of what hifi sound and vision.

you'll probably find its cheaper for you to buy a home cinema in a box which is what you say you don't want. do you want 2.1 surround or 5.1 surround? many now are 7.1 but its apparently rather pointless in an ordinary living room (two side speakers to go between the front and the rear).

a decent receiver + speakers would be my preferred option but it would almost certainly be more expensive and a bit messier (an extra box under the telly i could do without!)

Thanks

It is all about the money you want to spend.

these things with a DVD player are generally cheaper but limited to the life of your DVD player (possibly not long depending on how soon you want a Blu Ray player). You would get a decent one of those for about ?200.

I have a surround sound amp with speakers that you would generally use for a stereo and love the whole set up. The amp was (IIRC) ?250, the two fronts were about ?200, the centre was about ?100 and the rears were about ?150. Add to that cable and the stands for the rears and it is an expensive game.

Serj Tankian

Go to Richer Sounds Chamber Street Edinburgh got my Surround sound there ?100 for amp (sony) ?80 for speakers (a Danish Company) and ?20 for some extra cables.

It all depends on what your budget is to be honest, I would have a look on AVForums.com they have a great advice section but also have a really good classified section where you will get some great buys, you can also post what you are looking for.

I have a fairly high end sony amp and a set of focal jmlab surround speakers and a focal sub woofer. The whole setup cost approx ?1300 and sounds great. But in the current climate you could pick up something that new would cost simillar to mine for between 3 and ?500. Try here http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php

If that reasonable then maybe try and look at one of the Onkyo or Pioneer amps and possibly KEF speakers if you can get a good buy.

There is so much more to look into like HDMI connections etc if you really want to and getting one of the hifi mags would be a good idea.

Archived