SPL - the worst football product in Europe.

Greenbank2

I'm just back from holiday where I took my kids on a tour of the San Siro.

Stadium guide told the visiting group that a season ticket for all internationale

domestic home games in the middle tier behind the goal of the traditional home end is 180 Euro's which is 153 POUNDS! This is a generally available season ticket - no concession, no 'club fee". He told us that the the Milan equivalent is less expensive! Contrast this with the 295 pounds required for the worst part of the ground in Tynecastle. And this is similar to other clubs in the SPL.

Apples and Bananas.

The SPL is nowhere near the worst in Europe. It's quite a good league for a country of 5 million.

It's all part of ripp off Britain. The other thing you have to remember is the size of the San Siro. They can fill it with 180 euro seats and still make a wad! Or they can hike the price and have it half empty.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

One of our main sources of income is ticket sales though. Teams like Milan have TV and sponsorship deals we could only dream of.

I'm not one for defending the SPL like but there are plenty worse leagues in Europe.

?19 for u12's season tickets is tremendous value for money & a good incentive for parents.

Yes this is a good move. However, I buy 3 junior seasons every year. This was valid this year for one of them (one 19 quid if buying a full-price adult) but was off-set against the massive price increase of last season's seats being re-classified from silver to gold. This season still costs me much more than last. I'm not complaining about that - I have a choice after all. I was simply astonished by the price difference for a season ticket for 2 of the worlds top branded clubs, in an economy similar to our own - and the cost of watching the SPL.

Buffalo Bill

I agree that it costs far too much money to watch SPL football.

Yet we're lucky at Hearts in that we have fairly decent crowds, a good atmospheric stadium and more often than not: a reasonable football team.

I would find it very depressing to be a Motherwell fan, or such-like.

Until you've seen every league in Europe first hand, you can't say the SPL is the worst.

Average crowds of 55-60,000 though, so that will make a difference

I can remember getting in to Tynie for something like 25p as a juvenile :th_o: back in the 70s

Now whether football prices in the UK have risen more or less than our European neighbours ?..........well personally I can only guess.

Shaun.........where are you ? :10900:

These clubs are in hock to the tune of several 100s of millions of Euros though and nobody gives a fig - because it would be unthinkable for anybody to actually DARE call in their debt :th_o:

It's all part of ripp off Britain. The other thing you have to remember is the size of the San Siro. They can fill it with 180 euro seats and still make a wad! Or they can hike the price and have it half empty.

The other thing to remember though is that most clubs in Italy,Spain and I think Germany (possibly more) don't have to shell out for their grounds,they are owned by the city or their equivalent to the council.

As far as I know these grounds are given to them at a fraction of what it should cost to rent because unlike Britain they actually see that football can be a good thing for communities and surrounding businesses.

All this may be tosh but I think I'm right.

The other thing to remember though is that most clubs in Italy,Spain and I think Germany (possibly more) don't have to shell out for their grounds,they are owned by the city or their equivalent to the council.

As far as I know these grounds are given to them at a fraction of what it should cost to rent because unlike Britain they actually see that football can be a good thing for communities and surrounding businesses.

All this may be tosh but I think I'm right.

You're right about Italy. All stadia owned by the local authorities. Estadion Santiago Bernabau and Camp Nou owned by the clubs I believe, so not the case in Spain.

Until you've seen every league in Europe first hand, you can't say the SPL is the worst.

What do we mean by worst though Eck ?

We are without doubt the poorest on a scale of technical ability - fact

However our passion for the game still ranks amongst the highest in the world and our league games can still be 'high octane' encounters ?

I've watched some late night Dutch stuff and while their technique is clear to see, the games can often be sleep inducing !

The Germans are somewhere in between I fancy ...........so what is the answer. On the football front, if we could only improve our technique / mental approach, whilst still keeping our warrior spirit, then what players we could perhaps produce

Financially ?........we have simply never got to grips with the fact that the golden age of massive crowds has gone forever and we cant just sit and wait for them to magically return :57:

You're right about Italy. All stadia owned by the local authorities. Estadion Santiago Bernabau and Camp Nou owned by the clubs I believe, so not the case in Spain.

Camp nou defo owned by the city.

I'm positive they said that on the tour when I went round it.

?20 odd...to watch Brazil football league for a season,that leaves them with a whole ?2500 left from there yearly salary:stuart:

Moral to this is..Its about where you live and the cost of living:2thumbsup:

Archived