Corporate Shills

wibble

"A shill is an associate of a person selling goods or services or a political group, who pretends no association to the seller/group and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer. The intention of the shill is, using crowd psychology, to encourage others unaware of the set-up to purchase said goods or services or support the political group's ideological claims."

Nothing is more sickening than people who are already very wealthy pimping their image to some corporate giant in order to help sell more crap.

There are hundreds of famous people who should be ashamed of themselves for touting consumer crap at the expense of their credibility.

I'll start with U2 - slimeballs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA8SM_ivqpY

:hang:

Too right man. Stick to these bassas that make money.

Erm...Fight the power and all that?

Not sure of the slogan terminology, might need Boris' help on that.

away hug some trees ya fud

How do I respond to such a well thought out response? You make it so difficult.

:hang:

Too right man. Stick to these bassas that make money.

Erm...Fight the power and all that?

Not sure of the slogan terminology, might need Boris' help on that.

I don't mind artists making money, but when a group as rich as U2 sell out to peddle Blackberry's to ******s I feel a bit sick.

How low can Bono stoop? He pretends to be an artist and a campaigner for a fairer world. He's just a moneygrabbing sellout.

Paul McCartney - must have done this for the love of the company he advertises. What a ****bag for including his baby in one of the photos. All time low.

2310738705_35d3531664.jpg?v=0

John Lydon - Dear Mr Rotten, why didn't you just eat your own faeces? You can see the self-hate in his eyes. This image oozes the aura of his own crushed soul.

john-lydon-butter-ad-20081001-154850.jpg

It just gets worse. I love Iggy, but I hate him for this .....

15228215.jpg

I have no problem with Britney Spears or Supermodels or Posh n Becks pimping themselves because that is all they have ever been any good for, but people who were once "anti-establishment" or true "artists" selling out - especially when they are wealthy already - makes me want to vomit.

Geoff Kilpatrick

All this "artists selling out" stuff amuses me because it makes the presumption that they had something important to say in the first place. In Bono's case, I love U2 and their music, but I ignore all his 'Make Poverty History/Help Sarajevo' stuff because I'm quite happy to make my own decisions.

Then there's the original self-proclaimed working class hero himself. Always on hand to tell you how good it is to be insured and to punt your last tenner on the lottery.

billyC.gif

This one takes the biscuit ..... utter disgrace from an artist that I always thought was beyond such low acts. Will never look at him again in the same light.

bmw-1er-ad04-kermit.gif

this_is_my_story
John Lydon - Dear Mr Rotten, why didn't you just eat your own faeces? You can see the self-hate in his eyes. This image oozes the aura of his own crushed soul.

john-lydon-butter-ad-20081001-154850.jpg

Oh, he's 'sold out'!! The pure shame of it!! People do a whole lot worse than appear in adverts to make money, don't they? Just my tuppence worth!

Oh, he's 'sold out'!! The pure shame of it!! People do a whole lot worse than appear in adverts to make money, don't they? Just my tuppence worth!

... but it stands against everything he ever claimed to stand for. Don't you see how hipocritical that makes him?

He has just sold every last shred of self respect that he ever had for a few quid from a ****in butter company. He may as well have turned to prostitution - I'd have respected him more.

scots civil war

your probably in your bed now,but thats a preconcieved hate filled campaign youve put up there,although quite witty

i hate em too......iggys was a sickener,and dont get me started on rotten

ppppffffttt

Professor Ratbaggy

But didn't Lydon famously say when on stage in San Francisco "ever have the feeling you've been had"? The great rock and roll swindle and everything. Rock stars have been corporate whores for years now so while I agree with you I just can't get upset about it. No more heros anymore indeed.

The punks were really the worst for this caper after all the anti establishment and anti corporate mince they spouted on and we all believed. After all when Roger Daltray advertised Amex we all knew he was a filthy rich trout farmer but when the Clash had a song advertising jeans.

As for U2 and Bono, well he's always been a sanctimonious knob jockey.

Respect to Budgie though, they never sold out like this.

Narrative Arc
Then there's the original self-proclaimed working class hero himself. Always on hand to tell you how good it is to be insured and to punt your last tenner on the lottery.

billyC.gif

I take it you hate John Peel as well for doing all those voice overs he did in the 80's and 90's?

I take it you hate John Peel as well for doing all those voice overs he did in the 80's and 90's?

Not especially because being an announcer was always his job.

I'm not especially angry at these people I was just pointing out that they sold all of the credibility that they had built through some serious hard work for the sake of a few corporate dollars.

Like how exactly does Lydon show his face again after a buter ad?

john peel probably wasn't worth tens of millions of pounds like bono or ewan mcgregor. theres is a case of greed, pure and simple.

i've no problem with people making money, but if you're seriously wealthy then you lose all credibility once you whore yourself.

Narrative Arc
Not especially because being an announcer was always his job.

I'm not especially angry at these people I was just pointing out that they sold all of the credibility that they had built through some serious hard work for the sake of a few corporate dollars.

Like how exactly does Lydon show his face again after a buter ad?

Your right it was his job and he wasn't as rich as the examples you gave. I sadly just focused on the credibility of those geese that spout and croon about saving the world, who then go on adding to their own riches by doing these commercials. Nothing but respect for John Peel. A bit of devils advocate. apologies offered. Because it's John Peel, i feel a bit guilty now.

Narrative Arc
john peel probably wasn't worth tens of millions of pounds like bono or ewan mcgregor. theres is a case of greed, pure and simple.

i've no problem with people making money, but if you're seriously wealthy then you lose all credibility once you whore yourself.

See post 22.

The Mighty Thor
As for U2 and Bono, well he's always been a sanctimonious knob jockey.

Ah yes the pious one rolls into Scotland next week on the latest leg of his missionary work, sorry World tour, to relieve everyone. Of their hard earned.

The People's Chimp

Spot on.

You can see lydon's self hate in every bite of that toast. he probably can't even look at a bit of bread without weeping.

this_is_my_story
... but it stands against everything he ever claimed to stand for. Don't you see how hipocritical that makes him?

He has just sold every last shred of self respect that he ever had for a few quid from a ****in butter company. He may as well have turned to prostitution - I'd have respected him more.

'Claimed' being the operative word here! He sold records to make money, he appeared in adverts to make money. Simple as that, really.

Hasn't celebrity endorsement of products always happened though?

Personally I don't really understand what would make someone want to buy anything just because A Celeb endorses it. I think that's the theory anyway, but I buy things because I want to, not because A Celeb uses said product or wants me to buy said product.

Anyone that does buy a product because their favourite pop star told them to is a fool, IMHO.

Archived