Well Done Stephen Finnie (merged threads)

Grendel

Stephen%20Finnie_42.jpg

You just reinforced how inept scottish refs are in our game. You were a embarrassment tonight IMO.

Looks like another season ahead of inept refs taking control of our top flight matches.

What was Steve Finnie on tonight?

At the start of last season, I was strongly of the opinion that we had to look at our own house and get it in order first instead of taking the easy cop out of blaming refs and bias for everything. In general I think we did ok but still ended up with 11 sendings off. Fortunately most were for 'natural' football incidents with any real indiscipline only coming from Stewart, Wallace and Zaliukas.

I'm trying not to get paranoid, but for HMFC sake I hope that Mr Finnie's performance isn't going to be the norm. Then again for Scottish football's sake, I really hope this isn't the way they are being trained.

First of all I have to admit, it did get feisty for a short while (Suso) and Obua & Goncalves put in a couple of bad looking tackles. But

- If you give one team the sole benefit of the doubt of the first half dozen or so tackles then a) the team that is getting everything against them gets frustrated and starts 'deliberately' fouling back which leads to B) one of their players eventually going over the top (Suso). This then leads to c) not one, but several of the opposition seeking retribution to the perpatrator in B). Sometimes this even leads to e) players who have never been involved in a, b, c or d, getting involved.

- This was a friendly played a slowish pace. Apart from the Suso incidents, if there were any bad tackles (Obua scissors tackle and Goncalves tackle from behind on our part), the players from both teams just got up and got on with it. That means there is no need to stop the game and hand out lecture after lecture after lecture after lecture. The correct word or two in the passing will suffice. If there had been a set 2 between the 2 players involved, a quick firm word with the guy who was fouled to remind him you spotted the incident and will deal it accordingly, again, will suffice. The fouler to be then dealt accordingly in line with the severity of the foul.

Mr Finnie's performance tonight was quite frankly disgraceful and thank god it was a friendly and not a real game. Sadly I started watching him and I reckon he handed out about a dozen lectures to players.

Good referees keep lectures and yellow and red cards to a minimum. Also by being 'biased' (I'm not saying deliberately) towards one team can actually have the opposite effect because in a competitve game. Technically there was more chance of Suso staying on the park and not one, but maybe even two Bolton running a very fine line and receiving violent conduct punishment.

Jam Tarts 1874

I thought the ref was out to make a point of not being biased towards the Scottish team, but by doing so he was actually making horendous decisions in their favour. It's a bit like when you headmaster or PE teacher was refereeing games involving their own schools, you get nothing.

This guy was a complete joke.

It was a stonewall penalty, and he persisted on ignoring blatant fouls to us which would have given promising set-piece situations. He even ignored blatant shirt-pulling from Bolton players, but would award them free kicks for any 50-50 challenge.

The types of fouls he was giving them wouldn't be given down south, where football is considered a mans game.

God help us if he is doing the SPL this year.

The Old Tolbooth
was down at the other end of the stadium did we have a decent claim for a penalty

The foul on Nade was a stonewaller imo, the defender was all over him like a rash and fouled him, but the ref gave Bolton absolutely everything and you just knew that he would wave it away, we had a smaller shout for a penalty later on too, but imo he got that one correct (for a change)

was down at the other end of the stadium did we have a decent claim for a penalty

Nade turned the defender, got into the box and the defender pushed him over. Stonewaller!!!

Stephen%20Finnie_42.jpg

You just reinforced how inept scottish refs are in our game. You were a embarrassment tonight IMO.

Looks like another season ahead of inept refs taking control of our top flight matches.

Aye, yer bang on there Grendel ma lad...........!!

marshallschunkychicken

Starting as the refs in this country mean to go on.

We'll get scrutinised and penalised for nothing again this season.

This guy was a complete joke.

It was a stonewall penalty, and he persisted on ignoring blatant fouls to us which would have given promising set-piece situations. He even ignored blatant shirt-pulling from Bolton players, but would award them free kicks for any 50-50 challenge.

The types of fouls he was giving them wouldn't be given down south, where football is considered a mans game.

God help us if he is doing the SPL this year.

If the general concensus is that the English game is more "a mans game" that up here, then we truly are f****d.

Its never been the case, not in my mind. Its always been a "harder" game up here, always has been, and I'd wager always will be.

But thats taking the thread waaaay off topic so STOP..........CARRY ON!!!!!!

I thought he was magic.

Keep up the good work Stevie boy.

*you never know he might actually read these comments and it helps to do a bit of crawling*

Felix Lighter
The ref at the Reserve game v Partick was 10 times better than this guy and he was about 12!

He hasn't been brainwashed on the ways of Scottish football yet obviously.It's only a matter of time though,if he has any ambition to get to the top he'll have to go through the Grade 1 initiation ceremony which involves cloaks,candles,pentangles and having a large burning Vlad effigy shoved up his arse by Hugh Dallas.

No wonder they all hate us.

So very disappointed in a Referee that, at his level, should not have missed blatent offences that he did not award the obvious decision. A penalty that it would take a tank to knock Nade to achieve and a multitude of free kicks that just led me to believe that he was out of his depth!

One thing that annoys me more than them just being ****e is the ones who become little Hitlers once they put the shirt on and think they have to go out and be agressive to players to get the job done.

The best refs I've ever had in football or hockey matches have been the ones that treat you like human beings, explain decisions and generally don't pull the headmaser routine on players.

Finnie's attitude tonight was disgraceful but is one that unfortunately seems increasingly prevalent in Scottish football. If the refs treated the players with some respect they might get some back. They need some kind of Supernanny to show refs how to interact with and discipline players, cos they're all **** at it.

asomerville

Who was the Ref last night ?

He was very poor or was I just maroon tinted eyes?

Indubitably.

It's bad enough when refs. are inept, but most of them compliment this with an inconsistency which always seems to favour the opposition.

I hope, probably in vain, that we never see last night's official, again.

Archived