Visual Basic or Java

Gokuzo_The_Jambo

Gokuzo_The_Jambo

I have a question for Visual Basic or Java wizards.

I have currently designed a user event driven application on VB 2008. Is it possible to put this application onto a web page. If it is, how do I go about doing this?

If it is not possible would java be the best option? Or would it just be much easier to do it with java?

I have experience programming with both VB and Java, but I have only ever designed stuff offline and I cannot find any references on how to put these applications on a web page.

Gokuzo_The_Jambo
Would it not be easier using the .Net framework?

Good point ;p last time I used VB was 2003/4, just noticed the option on 2008 "browser based .net 3.5 application"

.NET is the way forward, ive been working with ASP.net web pages over the last few months, its awesome!

.NET is the way forward, ive been working with ASP.net web pages over the last few months, its awesome!

From a contractor point of view, the demand for it is dropping slightly though. I regularly look at the demand trends for both and Java is on the up at the moment, after a bit of a boom for .Net

Is VB not microsoft only? What I mean is that VB scripts will only work in IE? (I'm not too sure about this, been a while since I got my degree and done anything with it!)

Pretty sure that Javascript is considered good practice for embedding in web pages as it is compatible with any web browser (although I'm not 100% sure on this).

I have currently designed a user event driven application on VB 2008. Is it possible to put this application onto a web page. If it is, how do I go about doing this?

If it is not possible would java be the best option? Or would it just be much easier to do it with java?

I have experience programming with both VB and Java, but I have only ever designed stuff offline and I cannot find any references on how to put these applications on a web page.

What you are trying to do would be a nightmare to convert, and would have to drop all the ActiveX as that is blocked/not supported at all by most browsers (even IE when on the NET).

Silverlight would be the best platform for what you are trying to do. The next version of silverlight will let you take the applets out of the browser (but still be sandboxed).

Guest GhostHunter

I'm currently using a fabulous new bit of kit at work - Qlikview...wonderful piece of software that works from server memory to display pages (containing database info)...amazing stuff.

Just integrated it into a Joomla based site - gotta say, Joomla is pretty funky....

Mr Loverman
I'm currently using a fabulous new bit of kit at work - Qlikview...wonderful piece of software that works from server memory to display pages (containing database info)...amazing stuff.

Just integrated it into a Joomla based site - gotta say, Joomla is pretty funky....

how often do you refresh your data?

Guest GhostHunter
how often do you refresh your data?

On Qlikview ? Depends on the required info, but I have one set up to refresh every 5minutes.

Good thing about this software, is that the previous loaded data is buffered, therefore only new data is pulled over to the memory. The initial load is the biggest, one table I had, had over 8m rows, so obviously had to be done out of hours.

Honestly, if you've not seen it, go download a demo from the website - it connects to pretty much any data source and outputs over the net/network as an AJAX app. It basically does away with the need to operate a data warehouse, which in itself is unbelievable...

It's just a matter of replacing the Forms interface with an ASP.NET one. You will have to rewrite it, but only the UI, the logic of whatever your app does doesn't have to be redone.

Is VB not microsoft only? What I mean is that VB scripts will only work in IE? (I'm not too sure about this, been a while since I got my degree and done anything with it!)

Pretty sure that Javascript is considered good practice for embedding in web pages as it is compatible with any web browser (although I'm not 100% sure on this).

He said VB, not VBScript - 2 different things.

What you are trying to do would be a nightmare to convert, and would have to drop all the ActiveX as that is blocked/not supported at all by most browsers (even IE when on the NET).

Silverlight would be the best platform for what you are trying to do. The next version of silverlight will let you take the applets out of the browser (but still be sandboxed).

Eh? He said VB 2008. Therefore, it's .NET based and has eff all to do with ActiveX.

Archived