Why do they bother..............

JWL

I remember going to the pictures with my dad when I was about 12 to see The Taking of Pelham 123, and even then thinking it was a fantastic film. I seen it again when I was in my twenties and thought again what a perfect thriller of a film it was. Now I see they have re made it. How the feck do they hope to better the original for this or any other films they try to re-make (Italian Job and Get Carter to name but two), DON'T GET IT AND PLEASE STOP IT.!!!!!!!!!!!!

to be fair,some of these remakes i have seen have been better than the originals (more so horrors though)

to be fair,some of these remakes i have seen have been better than the originals (more so horrors though)

No offence mate, but can you name any (apart from horrors), Alfie was another, it's absolute sheeite.

No offence mate, but can you name any (apart from horrors), Alfie was another, it's absolute sheeite.

city of angels

the departed

father of the bride

heat

the jackal

man on fire

Miracle on 34th Street

the mummy

The Nutty Professor

Ocean's Eleven

scarface

the thing

Twelve Monkeys

not alot in comparison,but there are some :geek:

like i said though,horror is the only genre where the remakes most of the time tend to be better.

Commander Harris
city of angels

the departed

father of the bride

heat

the jackal

man on fire

Miracle on 34th Street

the mummy

The Nutty Professor

Ocean's Eleven

scarface

the thing

Twelve Monkeys

not alot in comparison,but there are some :geek:

like i said though,horror is the only genre where the remakes most of the time tend to be better.

I wouldn't class most of these films as remakes, their intention was to tell a story that shares a common source, not simply to remake a film. For example, the most recent Lord of The Rings films wouldn't be classed as a remake of the unfinished 78 animation but as another adaptation of the source material.

just about all remakes are either pointless(see psycho) or ****e (see just about anything else.) In the few occassions where a "remake" is better it is because the new film bears little resemblance to the older one and the older film itself was not anything special. (Ocean's 11)

in summary: generally, readapting source material is ok, as long as it hasn't been done exceptionally before, readapting a film itself isn't. there are exceptions.

to answer the OP's question: money.

It must be a nightmare being a Scriptwriter in Hollywood these days.

You spend a year or so writing a brand new film that is going to be ace, only to be turned down because the movie studio is re-making (or COPYING as it should be called) an old film from the 70's.

Must be gutting.

its getting worse,the films are getting more recent aswell,'the crow' remake has been green lit.

It must be a nightmare being a Scriptwriter in Hollywood these days.

You spend a year or so writing a brand new film that is going to be ace, only to be turned down because the movie studio is re-making (or COPYING as it should be called) an old film from the 70's.

Must be gutting.

To be honest, most of the good ideas have probably been used up so it must be harder than ever.

It'll be 80s films next.

Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller, Weird Science, Labyrinth, Flashdance, the lot.

All "starring" Miley Syrus and/or Zac Effron.

Puke.

ShireJambo22

When thinking of remakes, the one film that always springs to mind is The Stepford Wives - they absolutely crucified it with that ****ty remake. The original is superb.

boy_in_maroon

there is a wicker man 3 in progress, part being filmed in midlothian, with Edward Woodward, a re, re make :42:

blondejamtart
there is a wicker man 3 in progress, part being filmed in midlothian, with Edward Woodward, a re, re make :42:

Film crews were in Dalkeith for part of that this week...

Archived