Bogus Adjectives

Victorian

folk who use wholly made up Adjectives really get on my nips.

"the wine didn't make the dish taste alcoholy at all" :nah:

"the surface had a metaly feel to it" :nah:

grrrr. gets on my nips so it does.

i challenge the house to come up with other nip-getting-ony stuff of a similar nature.

A few months back I caught the last few minutes of one of those American reality cop shows on the TV.

There were banging on about a "burglarizer" that they had caught who was suspected of "burglarizing" dozens of houses.

FFS the bludy predictive text/spell checker on my iPhone recognises both these words !

He was a burglar, he burgled houses, it's not big words to learn !

Americans (or anyone else) trying to pass themselves off as some sort of intelectual by missusing words and *******ising language like that really does my head in.

A few months back I caught the last few minutes of one of those American reality cop shows on the TV.

There were banging on about a "burglarizer" that they had caught who was suspected of "burglarizing" dozens of houses.

FFS the bludy predictive text/spell checker on my iPhone recognises both these words !

Americans (or anyone else) trying to pass themselves off as some sort of intelectual by missusing words and *******ising language like that really does my head in.

Not an adjective but when I worked at the Executive they started using a programme called Objective. Then came the verb "objectivise". I objectivise to this.

Refer to H.L. Mencken in case of doubt.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

It quite often is the Yanks who make these types of stupid errors, they seem to enjoy taking English words and phrases, and putting their own slant on them so they no longer make any sense.

"I could care less about that." Makes absolutely no sense, well not in the way they mean it anyway. Annoys me so much.

It quite often is the Yanks who make these types of stupid errors, they seem to enjoy taking English words and phrases, and putting their own slant on them so they no longer make any sense.

"I could care less about that." Makes absolutely no sense, well not in the way they mean it anyway. Annoys me so much.

That one really gets me - go on then, care less! Contradicts the whole point of the phrase/saying!

Carl Spackler

Deliverables.

Funnily enough the last bloke that used that in an email to me delivered f&^k all as usual.

A Boy Named Crow

Spurious nouns are my current pet hate. Take disconnect for example. You can disconnect something (verb), you cannot have a disconnect (noun)!

To be honest, I think it's great that we can change and adapt our language to such an extent.:sorcerer:

As long as you are understood by whoever you are communicating with, why shouldn't you be free to use the language in whatever way you want?:sorcerer:

Chinese is so inflexible that, unlike most languages, they cannot incorporate new 'global' words, for example 'radio' and 'computer'. They can only use existing words to respresent the idea of the object, so mobile phone is 'shou ji' (lit. hand machine) and so on. All quite quaint and fun, but it makes it harder for them to learn other languages and other people to learn theirs. :15:

Language evolves, and that's a good thing.:bulb2:

Mnd u, stl nt a fan of txt spk.:hammer:

Big up for the worldwide TEFL massive.

BoJack Horseman

That's my all time annoyance. Really bugs me when I hear it, which thankfully isn't often.

Stewart MacD

I'm more concerned about bogus verbs, e.g. to access, to impact.

Then there is the daily use of REsearch, instead of reSEARCH.

This is on the ABC (the Australian Beeb). I shudder to think of the mangled English occurring on the commercial stations.

Ooh these are lovely, they're very moreish. **** OFF.

Also cringe at the use of 'disrespect' as a verb.

Dont know if this is really the same, but I hate the over use of the word Logistics.

People saying that they are working out the logistics of getting a cup of coffee from the room nextdoor etc etc.

:hammer:

Archived