Wast Calder v Hearts U19s

gordie1968

Footballfirst

Just back from the game.

The "new" U19s showed once again that we will have a decent team at that level with a 7-0 thrashing of the junior side.

It really was boys against men, only the boys weree fitter and pacier than the men.

There were only 4 of last seasons U19 regulars playing today so bear with me as I don't know everyone by name or face.

The starting lineup was:

Dean Lyness

Fraser(U17s ?) Dylan McGowan, Conrad Balatoni, Mikey Deland

Jordan Morton, Danny Thomson, Shaun Hill, Scott Robinson, Div? (Dave Smith?)

Gordon Smith

Numerous subs included Jamie Walker, Michael Fetta ?, Billy ? Jack & Colin Hamilton.

Scorers from what I remember were:

1)Robinson header from a Deland cross

2)G Smith (pen) after he was brought down himself - Should have been a red card

3) G Smith from a Robinson cross

4) Div (D Smith?) with a shot from the edge of the box following the rebound from a Deland shot

5) Fetta? with well struck low shot from 25 yds

6) Billy ? with another low shot from the edge of the box

7) Billy ? again sliding the ball past the keeper after breaking the offside trap

Charlie-Brown

Fraser is the blonde haired right back who played for the U17 last season - looks like a young Robbie Neilson in terms of appearance but thankfully plays more like Craig Thomson. :)

'Div' is 'Dav' David Smith U17 striker for Hearts & Scotland also plays wide left.

Billy is probably Billy King who was attacking midfielder / striker in the U15's & U17's last season also a Scotland player.

blondejamtart
Very good to see Danny Thomson fit again and playing. It was a bad injury.

Exactly - was it not thought at one point it could be career-threatening? Nice to see he's back playing again.

Footballfirst

Some notes on performances

Dean Lyness - was the keeper we have brought in from Birmingham. Looks to be a real find, Excellent handling of crosses in what was difficult conditions with regular downpours

Fraser ? - (From the U17s I think) neat and tidy, tenacious play at full back. Doesn't get forward as much as Craig Thomson though.

McGowan - Excellent first half while it was competitive (for the first half hour). Put in some good tackles and headers. Had a headed goal chalked off supposedly for a challenge on the keeper when he won the ball fairly.

Balatoni - Solid first half and got better as the game progressed. One particular header of note when he leapt away above the striker and went through him with his momemtum was the sort of determination he needs to show all the time.

Deland - Shaky first half hour with a lack of composure on the ball, but came onto a good game after setting up the opening goal. Staed making good runs forward. Moved forward to left midfield when Colin Hamilton came on at LB

Morton - Showed some good touches and decent pace, dragged inside too often when he needed sto stay out wide. Very left footed for someone playing on the right.

Thomson - Good to see Danny back. Played for an hour and got stuck in which was good to see. Had an air shot when he should have scored. Took a sore one on his left knee (his good one) before he went off. Don't think it was too serious though

Hill - Played the holding role but didn't dominate or demand posession in the way I would like to see from him. Darren Murray gave him a few reminders.

Robinson - Best of the midfielders, showing good pace, aggression and vision, Made good runs in support of the striker and took his goal well.

Div (Dave Smith) I'm not sure if it was Smith, but I'm sure someone will tell me. Floated in an out of the game. Got more involved when Deland behind him improved his game. Took his goal well.

G Smith - Looks the part physically with decent pace and an eye for goal. happey to take the ball into feet and turn defenders or to make runs in the channels. Again took his goals well

Subs of note

Walker had one excellent effort come of the bar

Fetta ? - I liked the look of him after he came on for Hill. Cracking strike for his goal.

Billy? took both his goals well

Footballfirst
Fraser is the blonde haired right back who played for the U17 last season - looks like a young Robbie Neilson in terms of appearance but thankfully plays more like Craig Thomson. :)

'Div' is 'Dav' David Smith U17 striker for Hearts & Scotland also plays wide left.

Billy is probably Billy King who was attacking midfielder / striker in the U15's & U17's last season also a Scotland player.

Thanks for the names CB

Footballfirst

As a footnote to the game, I spoke to Ryan McGowan briefly. He will be joining the Australian squad for the U20 World cup in Egypt which starts in late September. Rocky Visconte is going to a training camp with their U20s in Argentina next week. Ryan wasn't allowed to go.

jamboinglasgow
Just back from the game.

The "new" U19s showed once again that we will have a decent team at that level with a 7-0 thrashing of the junior side.

It really was boys against men, only the boys weree fitter and pacier than the men.

There were only 4 of last seasons U19 regulars playing today so bear with me as I don't know everyone by name or face.

The starting lineup was:

Dean Lyness

Fraser(U17s ?) Dylan McGowan, Conrad Balatoni, Mikey Deland

Jordan Morton, Danny Thomson, Shaun Hill, Scott Robinson, Div? (Dave Smith?)

Gordon Smith

Numerous subs included Jamie Walker, Michael Fetta ?, Billy ? Jack & Colin Hamilton.

Scorers from what I remember were:

1)Robinson header from a Deland cross

2)G Smith (pen) after he was brought down himself - Should have been a red card

3) G Smith from a Robinson cross

4) Div (D Smith?) with a shot from the edge of the box following the rebound from a Deland shot

5) Fetta? with well struck low shot from 25 yds

6) Billy ? with another low shot from the edge of the box

7) Billy ? again sliding the ball past the keeper after breaking the offside trap

Thanks for the update, Charlie can help the most with names but from what I can tell, the player at RB is Fraser Mullen, Div is indeed David Smith not sure on the other two as I wasn't there.

How did Danny Thomson look?

Its good to see Hearts continuing the tradition of having players which have another player with the same surname (be it brothers or coincidental) so Lee and Ryan Wallace, Johnny and Michael Stewart, Jason, Danny and Craig Thomson, Ryan and Dylan McGowan, David and Gordon Smith and Colin and Jack Hamilton.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Cheers for the info.

Just shows you the gap between junior fitbaw and pro.

Footballfirst
How did Danny Thomson look?

Like his brother !!

Danny had a decent game. He didn't shirk any challenges and put in a few himself. Seemed to know what he wanted to do with the ball. His passing was a little off at times but I wasn't expecting too much from him at this stage. He got some treatment for an injury to his left knee, then rejoined the play for a short time before he was taken off, although I think it was planned that he would only play for an hour in any event. He did end up with an ice pack on the knee, but no-one in the dugout seemed too concerned. His air-shot in front of goal was a shocker and followed a good passing movement involving 4 or 5 players.

Cheers for the info.

Just shows you the gap between junior fitbaw and pro.

A bit harsh on junior football as West Calder are one of the poorest teams in the bottom tier of junior football. In the last few years both Heaets and Hibs under 19's played in a pre season tournament against midlothian junior teams and didn't come close to winning it.

Footballfirst

Some pics from today's game

"I'd be able to jump higher if you stopped holding my arm" says Danny

WestCalder001.jpg

"I'm not tackling that bear" says Fraser

WestCalder003.jpg

..... and Dylan says "I can spring higher than you Zebidee"

WestCalder002.jpg

Do you think Darren Murray was trying to give me an Alan Macgregor two finger salute ?

Charlie-Brown

Footballfirst- I was thinking about your 'Fetta?' in the team line up - could it be Fisher who plays in the U17's ? I can't remember the kids first name but he's the only one that sounds anything like Fetta unless we've signed someone?

Footballfirst

It was Neil Gibson who I asked, but he wasn't sure how to spell his name. He's a fair haired solidly built chap.

He slotted in at holding midfield.

vintersjambo

The West Calder manager and their keeper are both fanatical Jambos.

Richie (The Manager) is from a well known Hearts family from Armadale.

Thanks FF. Looking forward to another season of reports and updates from yourself, JiG and CB!

jamboinglasgow
Thanks FF. Looking forward to another season of reports and updates from yourself, JiG and CB!

will try to, though it all is down to where i will be based, hopefully Edinburgh or Glasgow.

Footballfirst

Cheers, given my semi-retirement at present, I should be able to make most games within a reasonable distance including the midweek ones.

Still waiting to hear where the reseves will be playing their home matches. It would would be nice if they could be closer to home.

I'm not sure about the reserve trip to Lochee n Friday but I will be at the U19 games agianst Mussleburgh and Newcastle.

I'll try and do some reports this season too. Last time I did one, VR turned up.

I heard he only showed up cause you were there!!:10900:

jamboinglasgow
Cheers, given my semi-retirement at present, I should be able to make most games within a reasonable distance including the midweek ones.

Still waiting to hear where the reseves will be playing their home matches. It would would be nice if they could be closer to home.

I'm not sure about the reserve trip to Lochee n Friday but I will be at the U19 games agianst Mussleburgh and Newcastle.

I am still thinking of going to the Newcastle game, if I am at that one I will try to make myself known.

Archived